5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Gift for Those about to Retire!
Many humorous books are funny because they make up things that cause us to laugh at others. The best humor is that which causes us to laugh at ourselves. This book falls into the latter category.
Published on June 25, 2000 by Donald Mitchell

2.0 out of 5 stars Cute but not that great
The book is a lot smaller than I thought it would be, and the jokes/questions really weren't that funny. I ordered it as a gift, and when I got it, I realized I needed to go get something else. It's a cute idea to have it accompany a bigger gift.
Published on April 10, 2009 by Kimberly J. Marsh

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Gift for Those about to Retire!, June 25, 2000
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: What You Don't Know About Retirement (Paperback)
For a humor book, it has an unusual format: a series of about one hundred questions and answers concerning aspects of retirement. Each q and a is a page, and there are some humorous illustrations to go with some of the q and a's.
What I liked was that the better q and a's mirrored things that my retired friends have said to me.
"Q: What amazes most new retirees?
A: They're so busy now, they don't know how they ever had time for work."
This seems to be true because retirees find so many interesting things to do, and more time to do them.
Here is one to think about:
"Q: What are the greatest perks of retirement?
A: Running errands in the middle of the day and never standing in line."
You can organize your day to be much more efficient by picking the times to do things when everyone else is at work.
As you can imagine, there are the inevitable jokes about how many retirees it takes to change a light bulb, and other familiar gags.
I felt that the message of the book transcended the humor to actually make me think more realistically about retirement.
People who are retired might see this book as poking fun at them. People who are about to retire would see it as an object lesson. I recommend it for the latter.
Most potential retirees would probably not buy this book for themselves, so you should give it to them as a gift. Then, a nice thing to do would be to have a friendly conversation about retirement plans with the person you gave the book to. That would allow for a greater chance that the book's message will sink in: Retirement can be the best time of your life, but you have to get organized to take advantage of that.

4.0 out of 5 stars What Do You Know about Retirement, August 2, 2005
This review is from: What You Don't Know About Retirement (Paperback)
This is a light hearted look at some of the great and some of the less fortunate aspects of retirement. I read the book shortly after retiring and bought a couple more copies to have on hand to share with friends. It is a fun excuse to laugh at one's self.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cute but not that great, April 10, 2009

3.0 out of 5 stars A little sad, October 29, 2013
This review is from: What You Don't Know About Retirement (Paperback)
I got this for my dad thinking all the jokes would be funny, but some made retirement look a little pathetic. Obviously you expect a joke book to have a little of each but the example jokes were more positive than the jokes on average.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Plain Fun, July 31, 2013
This review is from: What You Don't Know About Retirement (Paperback)
This short book of questions and answers is a great gift for a new retiree. It has a number of laugh out loud pages I enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift, August 24, 2013
This review is from: What You Don't Know About Retirement (Paperback)
Although I am giving this as a gift I found it to be very entertaining and appropriate for a retirement gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Bought These To Give To My Friends Who Are Retiring, August 15, 2013
Margaret M Bamber (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What You Don't Know About Retirement (Paperback)
I love the Q and A format in this little book. Here's a sample: Q: What most amazes new retirees? A: They're so busy now, they don't know how they ever had time for work. I say this to my friends all the time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun book. For anyone retiring it makes fun out ..., November 1, 2014
This review is from: What You Don't Know About Retirement (Paperback)
Fun book. For anyone retiring it makes fun out of the next life changes

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 8, 2014
This review is from: What You Don't Know About Retirement (Paperback)
Very cute and entertaining.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, July 7, 2014
This review is from: What You Don't Know About Retirement (Paperback)
I liked the book. Only bad thing was it is very small.

What You Don't Know About Retirement
What You Don't Know About Retirement by Bill Dodds (Paperback - May 1, 2000)
$7.00