Published on January 26, 2010 by Nadine Uplinger

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
Published on February 20, 2011 by Arthur Cronk Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical nutrition tips to reduce food costs and time in the kitchen, January 26, 2010
This review is from: What Do I Eat Now?: A Step-by-Step Guide to Eating Right with Type 2 Diabetes (Paperback)
This is a great book for people who are struggling with what they can eat after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. People are typically very confused about what they can eat and think they need to give up all of their favorite foods. The authors provide sound nutrition information in a clear and concise manner and relate it to everyday eating with helpful tips. They also offer nutrition facts plus resources for obtaining additional information if the reader is interested.

What I especially liked is how they incorporated practical information along with the facts. They point out cost and time saving measures when shopping and preparing foods. At the same time that the importance of eating good food to manage type 2 diabetes is emphasized the reader can benefit from their tips about the important role food plays in our lives and the comfort it provides. Reading food labels is broken down into components that are understandable. They encourage the reader to set their own goals and provide reinforcement and encouragement throughout the book. This helps the reader recognize the types of small changes they can make in their food selections to improve their overall health.

I highly recommend this well written book and give kudos to the authors for coming up with the facts, practical tips and great recipes that use readily available ingredients.

Nadine Uplinger, MS, RD, CDE, BC-ADM

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have!, February 16, 2010
As a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) the first question that my patients ask is what can I eat? They hear so much false information that they don't know where to begin. This book provides patients with tools and recipes for anyone with diabetes (or pre-diabetes) to follow. What I like most is that my patients can answer the "next steps" sections and at the end of the chapters and they will have created an action plan to help them control their diabetes. I will recommend this book to all of my patients!

5.0 out of 5 stars learning how to enjoy food when you have diabetes, February 13, 2010
What Do I Eat Now? helps anyone to fit a new or an existing diagnosis of diabetes into their "pre - diagnosis" lifestyle. Real life problems are discussed with simple, clear, step-by-step directions to change favorite recipes as well as how to steer through every-day food choice challenges. My favorite chapter's discuss how to deal with special occasions (chp 10) and what to choose for daily snacks (chp 7). In my 20 years working with people who live with diabetes I find these are the 2 areas that are the most difficult to manage. Working with a Registered Dietitian to develop a healthy diet is essential but having this book on a shelf at home will help build self-management skills and decisions made all day long. It is a `must have' item for every person with diabetes.
Claudia Shwide-Slavin, MS, RD, BC-ADM, CDE
Private Practice, New York City

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, February 20, 2011
I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. It isn't bad enough to require insulin or other medication, so the goal is to get it under control with diet and exercise. When I got the initial diagnosis, i received guidance from a nutritionist on how I had to change my eating habits; it didn't sound too bad. Then I got this book and found it very depressing. I am what you would call a "foodie". I love cooking, and really enjoy interesting food. The recipes in this book do not, in my opinion, qualify as good food. They fall under the "it will keep you alive" heading, and are not for people who love food. I can't stand sugar substitutes, and anything "fat free" might just as well be labeled "flavor free". This book relies too heavily on sugar substitutes, fat free items, fake eggs, etc. I have more recently purchased much more reasonable cook books with recipes entailing "real" ingredients that are diabetic-friendly, and very tasty. Perhaps if someone were significantly overweight, this book might be a godsend, but I'm only a bit overweight, and have been steadily losing weight over the past few weeks.

The general nutrition information is sound, but available from other sources. Bottom line, this book is a bummer, and other books with sound science behind are much more positive.

I'll amend this review in a couple months and report if my diet based on other books and exercise are effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life!, March 17, 2011
Megan (Strasburg, VA) - See all my reviews
February 2010 I was diagnosed Type 2. I had been pre-diabetic for years and taking pills for it. Having relatives with diabetes I knew what I had to look forward to, and once I got the big scare (diagnosis) I went straight to the book store. I knew I had to lose weight but my immediate concern was what could I eat for now. Diets never worked for me and this book took the mystery out of why they didn't. I had decided to make a lifetime change in how I ate and this is the book that made it happen for me. Although I was concerned about losing weight, I had not even addressed it before the pounds started falling off just by following the guidelines in the book. Who knew it would be so easy. I wish someone had told me a long time ago that this was the way everyone should eat regardless if they are diabetic or not. I was still able to eat any foods I wanted and ended up throwing out all the low fat and fat free junk in the trash. As it turns out, that "diet" food was filled with more carbs than regular food. After a few long trips to the grocery store, I could pretty much tell what was high in carbs and what wasn't before reading the labels.

In a nutshell, I lost 62 pounds by August 2010 withoout even trying and was no longer diabetic nor pre-diabetic for that matter. Getting rid of the fat free junk didn't affect my cholesterol either, as I am simply more healthy across the board. People always ask me how did I lose so much weight in a relatively small amount of time. I tell them the weight just fell off naturally after I read this book. Maybe now that I'm not so overweight, I'll try that other thing people always talk about. What's it called? Oh yeah, exercise :)

This book is a must read and should be required in all schools across America. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have spent most of my life being fat, unhealthy and throwing money away on weight loss gimmicks and fad diets. This book is simply priceless to me. I could never thank the authors enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplify your life with diabetes., February 2, 2010
This is a must-have book for anyone who has just been diagnosed with diabetes or for those who have had diabetes and would like a meal plan make-over. If eating healthy seems challenging and complicated this book will ease your mind and help you improve your diabetes control. The authors tell you exactly, "what to eat" in an upbeat, easy to understand format.

The best part about this book is the menus and recipes found in every chapter. There are even examples of how to make recipes healthier, how to read food labels in three easy steps, why keeping track of carbohydrate is important, and much, much more!

If you want to simplify your life with diabetes, this is the book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, February 22, 2010
This book is a great resource for anyone who faces the challenges of managing type 2 diabetes - the major one being what to eat! Not only does it help a person decide what and how much to eat, the book also provides tasty recipes (I loved the Cranberry Pear Salad recipe and the Bruschetta Baked Potatoes) and tips on how to eat out without losing ground. The authors give practical advice on how to accomplish lifestyle goals including nutrition and exercise (I personally find it very helpful to use a pedometer to measure steps). Also included is a wealth of information about how to manage diabetes and demystify the myths about "diets" and diabetes. I give this book a big thumbs up!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Fluffy, December 30, 2010
I bought this books looking for some answers. For me, it didn't answer the questions I had.

It refers the reader to the MyPyramid website, which has been heavily influenced by the food lobbies.

It seems like a lot to read for a little information. But if you like that kind of stuff, it could work for you. It didn't work for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Build your confidence on what to eat when you have diabetes, January 28, 2010
The title of this book says it all. If you have diabetes and have questions about what you should eat, this book will help you get started one step at a time. The information in the book is well formatted and very easy to read and understand. It is obvious that these two registered dietitians have lots of experience providing practical advice to people with diabetes.
If you are confused about carbohydrates, portion sizes, modifying your favorite recipes, reading labels, or what to eat, when eating out, this book explains it all in simple terms. This book is a confidence builder. Great book for yourself, or someone you know who has diabetes and is not sure what to eat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and helpful diabetes meal planning advice, February 2, 2010
This is a great "how to" book with practical advice on diabetes meal planning. The information is shared in an upbeat and positive way. Answers to common questions about what to eat when you have diabetes are shared throughout the book. The tips and recipes are especially helpful to teach healthy eating skills. I particularly like the Swift, Simple Tips which provide time saving, easier meal preparation suggestions.

Carrie Swift, MS, RD, BC-ADM, CDE

What Do I Eat Now?: A Step-by-Step Guide to Eating Right with Type 2 Diabetes
What Do I Eat Now?: A Step-by-Step Guide to Eating Right with Type 2 Diabetes by Patti Bazel Geil (Paperback - September 1, 2009)
$17.95 $12.89