4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Resource, If You Don't Care About the Magic
Published on May 25, 2009 by J. Stoner

3.0 out of 5 stars Good info but . . .
Published on October 18, 2010 by sss147

3.0 out of 5 stars Good info but . . ., October 18, 2010
This review is from: What to Expect Before You're Expecting (Paperback)
There is some great information in this book. It's an excellent starting point if you want to get a jump on reading up about pre-conception health. It's also a good conversation starter with your partner (it's great for both parents to spend some time reading the book, both the "mom" and "dad" sections). The info on trouble trying to conceive was particularly helpful. However, after hearing all the hype about the "What To Expect" series, I expected it to be a better written book.

The book had some continuity problems. It looked like paragraphs and maybe even chapters had been copied and pasted straight out of the other books without checking for continuity. Acronyms would be used over and over and over again and never defined. Meanwhile, the acronym "STD" shows up for the hundredth time around page 200 and is defined. Pretty sure we all know what STDs are, and if we don't, we googled it 150 pages ago. But thanks.

Sometimes things would be mentioned in passing, never to be brought up again. "Get your blood tested for your Rh factor, and if you are positive, make sure your partner isn't." WHAT?! This sounds really serious. What does this mean? Yeah, the book totally leaves you hanging. Google it. Again, I expect that if the book is going to bring it up, explain to me why this is so important.

Some chapters left me with more question than answers. For example, it encouraged readers to drink lots of milk. Ok great, but more adult women are lactose intolerant than not. Since the book advised moms-to-be to limit soy, what alternatives should we seek for upping calcium intake? The author really didn't have a lot of suggestions. And speaking of soy, the author was very vague. Basically, "don't eat a lot of it." Well, what's "a lot?" If I use it on my cereal and cooking as my constant substitute for milk, is that "a lot?" I know what to do to get my calcium, but I expected the book to cover it, given the detail it went into in other areas.

Finally, the writing style was obnoxious at times. It was like sitting next to your cheesy inappropriate uncle at dinner and listening to him laugh at his own lame jokes and say "teehee GET IT? SEE WHAT I DID THERE! THAT'S A PUN!" Yeah, we got it, thanks. Not that funny. Luckily the author had the tact to drop the act in the chapters about challenges to TTC.

Again, overall, great info in this book, and it is worth the read despite my criticisms of the writing style. Hopefully when the next edition comes out, they will have cleared up some of these issues.

2.0 out of 5 stars If I wanted to read a Cosmo article..., June 24, 2009
This review is from: What to Expect Before You're Expecting (Paperback)
Okay, I will give the author this, there is some valuable information to be had here. The problem is that she uses language that you would find in a magazine like Vogue or Cosmo. You know those quick reads on how to make a man happy in bed, how to dress your body type etc.

Quite frankly, that kind of vocabulary and manner of speaking is plain annoying! For example, at one she is giving men advice on how to keep the romance alive while trying to conceive. Great idea! However, she uses this phrase, "Woo her while you do her."

Ick! And it just keeps going on and on and on. Every other word is from the pages of a fashion rag. I got so annoyed I couldn't even read a chapter. Sure, I want some humor and warmth when I am reading a non-fiction book, but this was taking bad jokes and regurgitating them on every other page. If you like to read Cosmo and Vogue then you will probably have no problem with this. But the rest of use want a little more hard-headed and to-the-point advice.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not too much info for a 200 page book!, February 8, 2010
michelle (Middletown, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What to Expect Before You're Expecting (Paperback)
I flew through this book in 2 nights, yawning. Maybe this is just because I have researched TTC online, but I really didn't learn much from this book. I like how the questions are asked point blank , but then the answers will usually ramble on and on for paragraphs, most of which have very little to do with the actual question. It got downright annoying at times. I also expected a more informative diet plan and food breakdown, but (shock!!) I suppose I would have to buy the "What to eat while you are expecting" book from this author.
Most of the topics I wanted more details on (depression meds, bariatric surgery, ect) were answered with basically a "Yes, No, Well you should ask your personal doctor about that" theme. Gee, thanks.
Overall, I think the amount of useful information from this book (after eliminating the sidetracked rambling and stupid jokes) could have been condensed to a pamphlet.

UPDATE: Depression Meds: This book states INCORRECTLY on page 9 that Wellbutrin is proven safe for pregnancy. This is absolutely NOT TRUE! It is classified as a type C drug. It has been tested on animals and has shown some defects in the offspring of rabbits and mice. No adequete human studies have been done on pregnant women or newborns who have been exposed to this drug. Shame on the author and editor of this book. Get your facts straight, Ms, Murkoff!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Resource, If You Don't Care About the Magic, May 25, 2009
J. Stoner "Plants and Books" (Parkville, MO United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: What to Expect Before You're Expecting (Paperback)
WHAT TO EXPECT BEFORE YOU'RE EXPECTING is just like the other books in the expecting "series:" Jam packed with information in a good format. There are sections for both the "Mother to Be" and the "Father to Be," but neither are exclusive and should be read by both parties; in fact, there is more for men in this book than What to Expect When You're Expecting: 4th Edition. You probably already know what to expect given the monumental success of the previous Expecting books, and this book is no exception. Sections of the book include: Nutrition, Basic Anatomy, Ovulation, Timing of Intimacy, Miscarriage and Infertility, Medications, and tons of other little questions.

This book is excellent, but the next few comments should not be taken as criticisms but rather just information.

The difference with this installment is that there is more humor woven into the text than the previous books, which helps lighten the load; however, the humor at points is too much of a good thing, and the writing can seem juvenile and uses a lot of immature phrases (i.e. Aunt Flo), which I feel undermines the writing slightly.

One other thing is the book takes some of the magic away, providing step by step instructions, hundreds of pages of what to do better. I can totally appreciate how this book may help people who have struggled with conception, and I feel this book will be revered in that case. However, for everyone else be prepared to have the magic of conception possibly ruined as baby making becomes a job, you are forced to follow a specific calendar, and monitoring your diet. I know that at least a handful of people have successfully conceived and delivered healthy babies prior to this book being published, but this book could be the saving grace for any couple that is struggling to conceive. It reminds me of the movie Knocked Up when the characters are discussing how in the world people had babies before baby books were published.

Overall, WHAT TO EXPECT BEFORE YOU ARE EXPECTING is a great resource, and should be read in smaller doses because it is so information and fact heavy; however, the humor (which at some points is rather juvenile) effectively lightens the load.

Good reading,

J.Stoner

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, October 2, 2009
This review is from: What to Expect Before You're Expecting (Paperback)
I began reading this book as soon as I received it. This book has been full of facts I wasn't aware of. I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about trying to have a baby.

2.0 out of 5 stars Style outweighed substance, October 28, 2012
This review is from: What to Expect Before You're Expecting (Paperback)
I went into this expecting basics on preparing for pregnancy. That is what I received in a sense. Some of this is my fault- I was not familiar with the "What to Expect.." series. The juvenile nature of the text was a real turn off for me, but I can see how some people might find it useful to make the subject matter more approachable. But seriously, the acronyms (AF for Aunt Flow, really??) were annoying to the point of distraction. There were a few gems in this book, but they were overshadowed by the tone and language of the text. If you find the "What to Expect..." style appealing, I would recommend this book. However, if you are not familiar with it, please take the time to read the excerpts before purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars After 18 mths of TTC, April 4, 2011
This review is from: What to Expect Before You're Expecting (Paperback)
I purchased this when we were working so diligently to conceive our first child. The book offers great advice on dealing with ttc and tips to encourage fertility. It also offers other means of conceiving if natural conception is just not working. My husband and I tried for 18 months and got extremely disappointed throughout those months and this book helped us work through that time. We are pleased to now be holding our beautiful baby boy that will be 6 months old soon!! I held onto this book for any future children we might try for or for any friends that need that extra advice and comfort.

2.0 out of 5 stars What to expect before you're expecting, September 11, 2012
This review is from: What to Expect Before You're Expecting (Paperback)
I think this book is written so that children can understand it, I might possibly feel more dumb after reading this book. I have learned absolutely nothing. Everything that I had questions on just said refer to your health provider. Buying this book was a complete waste in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, bad formatting, January 14, 2011
Jennifer (Bridgeport, WV USA) - See all my reviews
An excellent book, a lot of information I already knew, but also some good advice for both men and women. As we are trying to conceive, the book offered many helpful insights with examples and statistics. The book puts some of your fears at bay in a humorous and amusing context. It also tells you when and why you should go seek professional help. I enjoyed the read and learned some new trips, but often found the Kindle format difficult to follow. Sections that are supposed to be grayed for men randomly intermix with those for women and graphs and charts are not located where they are supposed to be with their captions placed in inappropriate places breaking up the flow of chapters and at times confusing the reader. Pictures often required changing font size down to nearly as small as you could make the in order to make the entire picture visible, which then required resizing to go back to reading. I gave the book a three rating, had the formatting for Kindle been better, it would have deserved four and a half stars. I am looking forward to and will buy What to Expect When You're Expecting once we make it to that step!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not completely necessary, April 3, 2014
Robbyn (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this because I am a HUGE planner and wanted to know all about what I should do BEFORE we got pregnant. It does help if you don't know much at all. But it's a little obvious: to loose weight if you need to, eat healthy, take your prenatal vitamins 1-2 months before getting prego, really asses how ready you truly are, and figure out insurance. It does go through good ideas for snacks and foods you can eat to be healthier but I kinda wish I hadn't spent the money.

What to Expect Before You're Expecting
What to Expect Before You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff (Paperback - May 15, 2009)
$12.95 $9.19