Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on September 30, 2009
I'm a dad and we've purchased various baby/parenting books, but this is by far the best.
Pros:
- the layout is excellent, I can easily find what I'm looking for without having to read through large sections.
- our daughter is 11 months now and the book has covered (with very few exceptions) everything we've had questions on.

Con:
- as any new parent has discovered, parenting is like politics, everyone has their own position. While this book overall does a good job of fairly presenting all positions, there are some areas where the authors' personal opinions slant the presentation. Just something to be aware of.
on April 23, 2012
The kindle version of this book doesn't contain all the extra box inserts that the real book contains and you miss a whole lot of information without them. Definitely not worth it. Wish I hadn't wasted the money.
33 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 22, 2009
I must say that I found this book indispensable. As new parents with both inlaws and parents living far away and with friends who were just having babies themselves, we found that we had an utter ignorance about babies - simple things like changing diapers and waking up ever 3-4 hours through the night was tough enough but not know what to expect from my brand new adorable little germbag made for some challenging days and nights.

This book is not entirely perfect but its organized by month and what kind of behavior you should see from your kid during the first year. Its filled with advice, foods, developmental stuff etc.

I found it to be a great reference and I must say that it took me from being a helpless lump of quivering jello of a dad to being a pro dad who can change poopy diapers in 15 seconds flat, and that's with Destitin (if you don't know what Destitin is, you will - get the creamy variety).

Overall, as time went on, I found myself referencing the book less and less and I must say that I don't own the third book of what to expect the toddler years. One thing I have learned is that as a trained economist, the force of economics and negotiation play a key role with my toddler ... that plus lots of love and attention.

Good luck new parent. This book helps but doesn't solve all your problems. Its also quite cautious which I guess is necessary for a book like this. Your germbag is more resilient than you think - just feed ever few hours, change diaper every few hours, play with her/him every few hours, don't get any sleep in first year, spend a fortune on books, diapers, toys and shoes and you're on your way. Having a kid is kindof like owning a plant, an aquarium, a cat, a dog, a bird and an alarm clock plugged into your high powered stereo that goes off at random whenever it feels like it. And all of these things brings you so much joy that you wonder why you didn't do it sooner in life.

oh and get this book.
on October 2, 2014
My husband and I adopted our sweet baby girl from birth. So with no 9 month prep period we certainly felt a bit lost on all the "how to's". This book provided an excellent guide and confidence boost that helped us bond with our daughter flawlessly. Highly recommend!
on April 30, 2011
As with 'What To Expect When You're Expecting', I note that many negative reviews of this book contain blatant plugs for rival books. So read into that what you will.

'What To Expect: The First Year' has been greatly beneficial to these two new parents through the first 5 months of our child's life. Like its predecessor, the book is divided into monthly chapters, starting from birth. Each chapter begins with a brief outline of milestones that baby should be reaching, before discussing month-specific issues in greater detail. There is a wealth of information here, covering everything you can possibly think of, from feeding to bathing to baby behaviour. When is the best time to introduce solids? How do you discipline a ten month old effectively? What's the best method to put baby to sleep? What can we expect at each medical check-up? What I found fascinating was how comprehensive the book is, covering a whole range of issues that many new parents would never have thought about: how should you cut a baby's hair or brush a baby's teeth, for example? As with 'What To Expect When You're Expecting', the Question-and-Answer format ensures each chapter is well laid-out and easy to read; you can skip straight to the issue you're concerned about rather than be forced to read the whole chapter in a block.

In addition, there are special sections devoted to dressing baby for extreme heat or cold, treating a sick or injured child, as well as advice for the parents of a premature or disabled baby. Perhaps this is where some reviewers criticise the book for being "alarmist", but the book is merely comprehensive in facing up to the fact that not every baby is born "perfect". The sections on chornically ill or developmentally-challenged babies are handled with tact and sensitiviity, and are not "alarmist" in any way. Finally, there are sections devoted to the health and wellbeing of the new parents. The advice for new mothers is very comprehensive, although once again as a new father I found the section for Dads a bit vague and patronising. The book seems to assume that the only thing men care about is making love and having their wife get her bikini figure back....you'd think they could come up with more than that.

That very minor quibble apart, we have found 'The First Year' an essential and extremeley comprehensive reference book, and would recommend it to all new parents.
on May 21, 2013
I'm not the target audience for this book, given that I'm an adoptive dad, and not a pregnant woman, and I was reminded of that fact in every page of this encyclopedic approach to baby care. The authors clearly bring a wealth of knowledge of all things baby, but I find they tackle some topics without the requisite expertise. Case in point: adoption. The sections devoted to adoption are written by someone with only a general understanding of adoption and few genuine insights and quite a few notions I just plain disagree with.
on December 13, 2015
i work in the OB field and this is a horrible book for moms to be! it makes you a NEUROTIC mother.....nothing ever goes like a book says.....go by your pediatrician recomendations, your baby and your intution!
on April 20, 2014
As with any such book, there are portions that won't apply to you, can you can just skip 'em! However, this was my favorite resource to skim at the beginning of each new month so I would have an idea of what to expect.
on May 2, 2014
I just had my third child, but it has been 5 years since my last. I have forgotten everything. This book is a lifesaver for me. It helps me remember how to raise my newborn and what to expect and watch for.
on May 15, 2014
it's not a bad book. I do seem to skim through a lot of it cause it doesn't apply to our baby girl. It's nice to have know things to look for in certain months. Helps for when I go to a dr appt because they do ask is she rolling this way and that way, is she cooing and blowing raspberries, how much and how often does she eat & somethings i wouldn't have thought to keep track of cause the dr will ask.