Customer Discussions > Townes (2CD LTD Deluxe Edition) forum

What Extras Does 2CD Deluxe Offer????????????

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 29, 2009 7:59:25 AM PDT
badworker says:
The product description does not say...also can't find specifics on Steve Earle and New West Records websites

Posted on Apr 29, 2009 3:38:32 PM PDT
R. G. Crain says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2009 4:56:20 PM PDT
badworker says:
sorry about your brain injury, good luck with your recovery

Posted on Apr 29, 2009 5:33:05 PM PDT
John M. says:
Glad you asked...I'd sure like to know the same thing. Hope someone has an answer here.

Posted on May 2, 2009 1:18:36 PM PDT
bk says:
CD Two is all the songs done "acoustic". Might be cool.

Posted on May 2, 2009 3:43:07 PM PDT
badworker says:
that works for me; thanks for posting

Posted on May 4, 2009 12:01:58 AM PDT
I have listened to the 1 cd edition and this is acoustic, very acoustic. So what is it in the second cd? I have heard the cd a few times from start to end and frankly, as much as I wanted to love this release I am quite disappointed, most songs dont add much to Van Zandt's versions and some are awful covers. One of them seems to be recorded through a tube, and I dont really see the point. I can hear the sincere love of Earle for Townes and his music, but that is not enough!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2009 7:29:16 AM PDT
331miles says:
And what is the "one song"? I'm assuming badworker's comment below is in reference to your post.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2009 8:31:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2009 8:31:40 AM PDT
the song is lungs, I am just trying to prevent people from being disappointed when they buy this cd, listen to it first. I hope people like it more than me.

I miss Townes Van Zandt, the world was a better place when he was here.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2009 6:20:32 PM PDT
Deanokat says:
To elaborate on the bonus disc a bit further... It *is* acoustic, but it is *not* all the songs. This is from a mail-order site I frequently buy from (villagerecords.com): "As an added bonus a second disc is included that features eleven of the fifteen tracks in their original guitar and vocal form. It doesn't get more authentic than these cuts. These are not demos, they are the songs you hear on disc one without the sparse backing that accompanies the final versions."

Posted on May 6, 2009 1:40:44 AM PDT
I listened again to the whole CD and started to like it a bit more, maybe it needs more listening... BUt, 10 out of the 15 songs are already almost only vocal and guitar, some bass, mandolin and violin, and the voice is upfront, so It just makes me wonder what will it add to hear them only with vocals and guitars. When someone listens to the second cd maybe he will share it with us. Seems a mistery anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2009 7:30:03 PM PDT
Yeah, I love Steve Earle's music, but I think he's in a bit of a rut these days. I was expecting to hear a different take on Townes considering how close Steve was to him, but the songs were fairly pat. Saw him this winter, and honestly, while it's nice to see him play his music in a small venue, he really didn't bring much interesting stuff to that show. Very little patter aside from the usual anti death penalty rap that intros Ellis. He just get's up and plays his songs. I could have been listening to any of the acoustic concert recordings I have. The duets with Allison are really nice tho.

I think we need some more Dukes material. Steve's electric covers are really special. If you get a chance to pick up the boot "Magnetized MF'ers" and More Magnetized MF'ers" you're in for a treat. His Stones covers of Dead Flowers and Before They Make Me Run are (possibly) better than the originals !.

Posted on May 13, 2009 6:53:45 AM PDT
Thanks everyone....now I don't know which one to buy..can't listen to it on dial up...guess I will gamble on the 2 disker...Townes was the best..most people don't even know him....there stuck in Pop country :(

Posted on May 13, 2009 7:06:54 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 8, 2010 9:48:13 AM PST]

Posted on May 16, 2009 6:27:04 AM PDT
Ivan says:
A little of topic but wanted to mention that Steve Earle's performance from the Newport 2008 Folk Festival was broadcast on NPR and is available as a free podcast on NPR's All Songs Considered. The sound quality is only average but the performances, through "bare bones" are strong, especially where he duets with his wife Alison Moorer on Mockingbird and his emotional rendition of Christmas in Washington where he calls out to Woody Guthrie. Other highlights include Taney Town, Down Here below and City of Immigrants.

Here is a link. Besides Earle, there are a wide variety of concerts available for free download (check out the Doc Watson concert and several concerts from SWSX).

Posted on Aug 24, 2009 7:24:54 PM PDT
Robert says:
From the liner notes:

Townes began as twelve solo guitar and vocal tracks recorded in October 2008 in New York City. Other instruments were added later in subsequent sessions in New York, Nashville, and Los Angeles. Eleven of the original basic tracks are included here. Colorado Girl is not, because the solo version made the final record as is. Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold was re-recorded in Nashville in December as a duet with Justin Townes Earle. The original solo track that was recorded in New York appears here exclusively.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2009 9:45:07 PM PDT
After reading the replies to the question about the bonus disc and listening to samples from disk one, I will be getting the regular "non-deluxe" version. Why? Because I would just as soon listen to the songs with the subtly added additional instruments (bass, violin, etc.) over the original stripped down versions. As far as I can tell these instruments add to, not diminish, the quality of the songs. With the savings I'll buy some other cool c.d. that's out, such as the latest from Conor Oberst. Thanks to others for info on this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Apr 29, 2009
Latest post:  Aug 30, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Townes
Townes by Steve Earle (Audio CD - 2009)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (64)