5.0 out of 5 stars What a nightmare!
Published on February 21, 2007 by Debbie Campbell

3.0 out of 5 stars Hope
I am so sorry for Judy Eron's loss & horrified that her husband killed himself. Being a therapist doesn't guarantee success in dealing with this brain disease. According to the NIMH, people with bipolar disorder are twice as likely to commit suicide than those with depression. I think that's because the person remembers the ecstacy while slammed down by depression & fears...
Published on July 9, 2008 by Dix88

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a nightmare!, February 21, 2007
This review is from: What Goes Up: Surviving the Manic Episode of a Loved One (Paperback)
God bless Judy Eron for sharing what she experienced and learned during her bipolar husband's manic episode. I bought this book for some friends, a long-time married couple who have dealt with bipolar disorder for many years. After giving it a favorable review, they loaned it back to me. I was eager to read it, hoping it would help me understand what they've been going through.

Well, what a nightmare. For me, the most terrifying thing about this story is that the author and her husband were both mental health professionals! If _they_ didn't know what to do, how in the world would the rest of us be able to recognize or deal with someone going through this?!

There's no happy ending or quick fixes here, but Eron helps us understand a manic person's distorted way of thinking, how it's important not to get drawn into that person's (paranoid) delusions, and what strategies may or may not be helpful. For example, I was surprised that an "intervention," which would have seemed an obvious choice to me, in fact only fed her husband's anger and paranoia and pushed him farther away from accepting help.

I used to think that manic meant really happy. Now, sadly, I know better.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for understanding, September 16, 2005
D. Locascio "LI Mama" (Massapequa, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I read this book in awe. She experienced many of that same things I thought were unique to my situation. I wish I had found this book a year ago when in my own "bad year" with my husband. If you love someone who is bipolar and manic, this is for you. There are more resources out there to help you through the depressive part, but for someone who has one who is more manic in their life, this book is invaluable. I plan on buying several copies to "lend" to friends and family who don't really "get it". Maybe they can see it explained about a third party better than for someone they know and love and then finally get past the denial (the bipolar person isn't the only one to suffer from denial)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and Compassionate, September 26, 2005
"What Goes Up" is intelligent and thoughtful. How can a reader's heart not go out to Judy Eron as she chronicles with grace and compassion such a personal tragedy? Many of us know or sometimes encounter others who are bipolar, and this book helps explain not only their struggle but how we might be better prepared for our interactions with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars What Goes Up.., August 31, 2005
This is an excellent resource for family members living with a person who is bipolar. Judy Enron explores the manic episodes

of a loved one who goes without his medication and also the downward depression spiral. I admire the candidness of the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book reached me on many levels, March 7, 2006
Having been diagnosed bipolar, you often wonder how your illness is viewed by those closest to you. Judy does this in this book. I read this book together with my husband. For my husband it was a sort of validation of how he is often left worried and helpless in our situation. For me it was an eye opener to what spouses endure during a crisis. I will be forever reminded the importance of having a good support system in place for my family. It also reinforced that dilligent medication, therapy, love and understanding is so important in maintaining a functionable life. This book not only was helpful to us as a family but to my doctor who found it to be a true testament of the torment that a bipolar family endures. A must read. You will not be disappointed. North Polar Skip

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, September 5, 2005
Patty L. Arthur (Saint Helens, OR, USA) - See all my reviews
This book helped me to understand, and how to cope with a best friend's manic episode. Very insightful. It talked about many situations that have occurred with my friend. It helped me to see the other side of darkness in my otherwise bright world.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Goes Up, June 17, 2006
This is one of the best written and enjoyable (if this illness can be described as such) books on this subject. I have reread the book many times. After having an experience (and wishing he would "return"), I lived this book a thousand times in my life. From the moment she describes Jim telling her he "disappears" I knew I had a friend. Someone who finally understood what how we love without falling into societies "norm". Judy describes love without fear, and love letting go which is love without the boundaries many place on relationships. I won't even loan this book out of my library for fear it won't be returned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Must Come Down ..., February 5, 2007
This open and sharing book "What Goes up ... Surviving the Manic Episode of a Loved One", is a brave offering that should be read by anyone who cares for any of these poor souls; we all need any help we can get; they need even more.

This is a very well written story of one couple's struggle with bipolar illness that is compared and contrasted with other examples as the author tries to make sense of the madness or at least find out how to best deal with it.

I can (personally) only add that every case and every episode (up or down) is unique and nothing is certain until it's too late but as long as there is life there is hope.

Even after thirty years with a bipolar relative, I still learned many things from this book. I highly recommend it for every person who has loved one who suffers from this illness. But, do not stop there, because there are risks of overmedication and differences with the change of life that women go through that can bring out other aspects of the illness.

I have not listed many details from this book because if you need to read it, then you need to read it all; and more.

Thank you Judy Eron, for bravely sharing.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Goes Up, October 24, 2006
Judy has helped me like no other could through this book. It is amazing how as I read I felt she was living my life. To live with the reality that your spouse has walked away from your beautiful life because he is manic is very hard to grasp. To see it in print that I am not at fault, and that this illness is very real made the hurt ache just a little less. Anyone that has a loved one that is suffering with a manic episode, must read this book you will have clarity, and you will go back to this book everyday of your life during your crisis to remind yourself it's a real illness and most importantly "WHAT GOES UP, MUST COME DOWN".

5.0 out of 5 stars INSPIRING!, October 29, 2006
Shannon "Shannon" (LA, CA United States) - See all my reviews
A powerful and honest account of life in a manic episode from the point of view of a loving spouse. I found "What Goes Up" to be a great inspiration for me, as a spouse of someone plagued with bipolar disorder. I have felt resposible at times and victimized other times, it is a tortourous place and a very lonely place. This book galvanized my fight and inner strength! Thanks Judy for having the strength to write this book! I recommend this book to anyone who has a loved one struggling with this illness.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

What Goes Up: Surviving the Manic Episode of a Loved One
What Goes Up: Surviving the Manic Episode of a Loved One by Judy Eron (Paperback - May 5, 2005)
Used & New from: $0.01