Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 5, 2010 11:02:35 AM PDT
Skepticism has an underlying philosophy of "the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know". Keller missed that entirely in his book by claiming skepticism has to replace the concern for how little we know with faith. Seems disingenuous yet all the reviews here felt they approach skepticism with a viable response.

I also question the validity of the topics because believers in the Christian faith absolutely believe the scripture/bible/god as absolute truth yet it seemed apparent from me that Keller tried to stray from making such claims going so far as to say that all religions can have truth. How do Christians answer to the absolute they hold so dear that invalidates their reason for faith and how does this book answer to skepticism when it doesn't even recognize the philosophical views of skeptics to begin with?

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 11:03:16 PM PDT
I haven't read the book -- just stumbled on this forum -- but just to reply to what you say in your comment:

It is surely no contradiction to say that I believe that Christianity is true and also to say that other philosophies or religions might also contain truth. To take a trivial example: Christianity says that Jesus lived in Judea. Islam says that Mohammed lived in Arabia. There is no difficulty in believing both those statements. It is quite conceivable that both are 100% true.

To the extent that other philosophies or religions say things that agree with Christian teachings, then a Christian will say that of course he believes that that other religion is correct in those statements. When other religions say things that do not particularly argee with nor contradict Christianity, a Christian might or might not believe what they say.

I believe many things that are not specifically discussed in the Bible. I believe that there is such a place as Australia. I believe that the derivative of x cubed is three x squared. I believe that Hannibal crossed the Alps to invade Italy. Etc etc. I don't think there's anything particularly remarkable about this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Aug 5, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 22, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism
The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Timothy Keller (Audio CD - February 14, 2008)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (923)