5.0 out of 5 stars What if all faith-based films were this good?
Perhaps the fastest growing classification of movies, faith-based films have a tendency to sacrifice production value for message. While movies like Facing the Giants and Fireproof have solid messages, they lack in the aesthetic polish audiences get from most Hollywood releases.

With "What If...", Dallas Jenkins manages to give audiences an aesthetically...
Published on February 28, 2011 by MN2LA

3.0 out of 5 stars What If....
It was ok. It was a typical movie that you have seen the plot in many other movies. Ending was great, but I had to keep waiting for something to happen or change. Young people would loose interest in this movie.
Published on October 3, 2011 by B. Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars What if all faith-based films were this good?, February 28, 2011
This review is from: What If (DVD)

With "What If...", Dallas Jenkins manages to give audiences an aesthetically beautiful film with wonderful performances on both sides of the camera. The movie feels like a mid-budget Hollywood release, a remarkable feat considering the low budget and tight shooting schedule. Kevin Sorbo has a great presence throughout, and Kristy Swanson, still beautiful as ever, shows off her dramatic chops. And John Ratzenberger's performance is angelic, in a good-old-boy way.

Still, great direction and performances don't make a great movie unless the story matches. Thankfully, the story of "What If...", albeit somewhat recycled, is outstanding. Living a life of luxury and power, Ben Walker (Sorbo) is chosen by God to receive a glimpse of what his life could have been had he made a different decision 15 years earlier. The bulk of the movie is spent in Ben's alternate reality where he learns the true riches of life.

"What If..." doesn't hide the fact that it's a Christian movie. Still, it doesn't hurl religion at the audience with reckless abandon. In other words, it's a movie that even non-Christians can and should enjoy. Without sex, violence, or language concerns, it's perfectly suited for all ages.

Raising the bar for faith-based films, "What If..." is hopefully the start to higher standards for movies delivering messages of the Highest Standard.

Get it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Story, Acting, Production Quality,, February 23, 2011
Length:: 2:40 Mins

A short video review of this excellent Faith based film (with clips from movie). A great story, with excellent acting and production value. Even the director's behind the scenes commentary was well done, and very informative. Movie's message gets us thinking about how we have redeemed the days that the Lord has given us! I highly recommend that no one passes up the opportunity to see/buy this fresh and creative film by Dallas Jenkins!

A few other films that you might be interested in seeing
The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry
Unidentified
Standing Firm
Bandslam
This is a secular dramedy, but well done
(Scroll way down thru the customer reviews for my video review)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome family movie! Yes, it is like 'Family Man', February 17, 2011
This review is from: What If (DVD)
Yes, this movie is a lot like 'Family Man' (Nicholas Cage) or 'A Family Thanksgiving' (Daphne Zuniga). However, the resemblance does not take away from this being a great family movie. For those of us who grew up in the 80's and 90's, it is great to see Kevin Sorbo and Kristy Swanson (who still looks great these days) grace the screen. The fact that God is mentioned in the show, and not in a mocking tone, is great too. You will want to have the whole family watch this. John Ratzenberger as the ghost is a wonderful casting job too. The whole cast was just refreshing to see on screen again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best family movie this year!, March 15, 2011
This review is from: What If (DVD)
After reading the cover of the DVD box, I thought, "hey, this is just a 'Family Man' remake."

I like Kevin Sorbo; so, I watched it anyway.

Wow! While the plots are similar, this movie is about ten times better than Family Man.

Kevin Sorbo gives a stunning performance as a man, Ben Walker, that is re-looking his life.

The angel, John Ratzenberger, is absolutely brilliant. His character makes sense. He acts as you would expect an angel to act. He also brings some humor to the role.

Kristy Swanson does an excellent job as Ben Walker's wife. She plays a strong character that directs Ben back onto the proper path. Kristy Swanson plays the wife that you want Ben Walker to get together with at the end of the story.

There is real substance to this movie. The characters are engaging. The story is riveting. I challenge anyone who has ever been in a serious relationship to get through this film without tearing up at several of the critical points.

Also, I found myself rooting for Sorbo's character. Yes, Ben Walker is definitely a self-centered jerk at the beginning of the film, but Sorbo breathes so much life into the role that you really want things to work out for him. (Contrast that with Family Man where you would not really have minded if things did not work out for the Cage character.)

Finally, there is some deeper meaning to this story. Sorbo plays a man who has lost his faith and his way, and his way back involves refinding his faith.

As a bonus, all this is done without violence or without the need to introduce racial stereotypes or foul language.

I was extremely impressed with Kevin Sorbo, and I will look for his future performances.

Nicely done!

Watch this movie and buy copies for gifts. It is that good!

in service,

Rich
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden gem!!, June 30, 2011
This review is from: What If (DVD)
This was a real pleasant discovery.

It's a Christian movie, but don't let that put you off. It doesn't thrust anything down your throat or come off as preachy. You don't need to be religious or even Christian to appreciate the message. It's really about discovering what truly matters in life.

Often movies with a message are too obvious: you know they're trying to tell you what to feel, and as a result you don't feel anything much at all, except maybe bored and irritated. At the beginning of this movie there was one moment where I felt a sick sinking feeling, a sort of lonely emptiness inside, when I saw the main character talking about his life and his money and all that - it really made me FEEL how empty and worthless those things are, and it surprised me a lot that I felt that way because it's quite unusual to feel such a strong emotion from a movie, especially so early on.

It was fun imagining trying out a what if? in your life. Who hasn't wondered what if? about some of the choices they've made. There was humour too - not slapstick, just subtle make-you-smile moments. But that didn't spoil the drama either; rather it kept it light enough not to get too sad at the difficult parts.

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this. It kept me thinking it about it for a long time afterwards, and it really did get its message across to me without feeling like I'd been sledgehammered... and I hate bing preached at! I'm not a Christian, but this wasn't a try-to-convert-you movie. It just makes you think about your priorities in life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A feel good Christian film, June 12, 2011
Teresa Duane (Port St Lucie, FL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What If (DVD)
I went to see this movie by myself. I loved it so much I left and called a friend to go back to see the movie again that evening. I caught things the second time that I missed the first time I saw it. I highly reccommend seeing this movie, I purchased it as soon as it was available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than you'd expect, February 17, 2011
This review is from: What If (DVD)
I saw this movie in the theater. Dont expect it to be original, but then again dont expect any new movie to be original nowadays. Despite its familiar story-line, "What If" is a great movie. Its one of the few Christian movies that actually has a good amount of humor in it. Whereas, most Christian movies are so dramatic, they can leave a person feeling depressed, even if it has a good message. If only more movies were like "What If".

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie!, June 27, 2011
This review is from: What If (DVD)
Excellent movie, with a great message and humor mixed in. Hollywood needs to make more movies like this that have to do with reality and make people think about their life and eternity, as we all are accountable to God for accepting or rejecting Him. Highly recommend this movie for all!

5.0 out of 5 stars What Could Have Been and Was, July 10, 2011
This review is from: What If (DVD)
This movie really hit home with me because I also made a bad choice when I was young and did not listen to God, my pastor or my parents and friends. I was not as lucky as the character in the movie who got a second chance and I have paid for it all my life.

This is a very moving and heart-touching movie that depicts very strongly that we should follow God's purpose for us in our lives to be able to live life at it's fullest and enjoy all of God's blessings.

I give this movie the highest recommendation to anyone who enjoys a good and meaningful movie. In today's world we need more like movies like this to help people stop, think and pray before they make life-changing decisions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Christian Movie, May 1, 2012
This review is from: What If (DVD)
My family and I enjoyed this movie. I would consider it a good and not a great Christian movie.
We enjoyed The Grace Card and The Woodcarver movies more. There are some funny scenes in
the movie and the acting didn't take away from the story line. I would watch it again
and I can't say that about a lot of movies.

What If [Blu-ray]
What If [Blu-ray] by Dallas Jenkins (Blu-ray - 2012)
$9.99 $5.79