5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading
Published on February 2, 2009 by J. C. Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars For Oriole Fans
Published 20 months ago by Al L.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading, February 2, 2009
An interesting book from one of the great managers. Should be on the shelf of every manager (and I'm not just referring to those of sports teams) along with the generally unread Sun Tzu Art of War. Earl Weaver knows more about how to get a collection of headstrong and difficult human beings to work together to accomplish his goals than most of the business (and political) CEOs that have left their mark on this country. Whether you run a McDonald's franchise or a department of AIG, studying this book will be as helpful as it is entertaining. You might want to read up a bit on the Rules of Baseball as well, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, insightful Earl, March 9, 2014
This review is from: It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts : The Autobiography of Earl Weaver. (Hardcover)
Great book for all coaches. As a college coach, i appreciated what Earl accomplished year after year... and he gives some great insights in this book. And, I agree with the above comment: ALL managers should read this (regardless of what is managed).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun read from one of baseballs greatest managers., November 24, 2014
This guy knew baseball and people inside out. After the age of 9, .kids know it all. Adults are. the same. Earls interesting look at this subject.
A lot of good psychologist.

3.0 out of 5 stars For Oriole Fans, April 14, 2013
Al L. (Springfield, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I am a big Oriole fan, and this is because of Earl Weaver. Every year the O's were predicted to be at the bottom of the standings Weaver's team was in the thick of things at the end of the season. I've always based my choices for the teams I root for mostly on it's head coach, and my respect and admiration for him is huge. He is the coach/manager I admire the most of any sport. After he passed away I learned about this book and decided I wanted to read it. With a title like it has I figured it had to be good.

While the book was enjoyable it was not great. I love baseball's funny stories, and there was a good deal of humor in it. But these rarely got more than a smile out of me, rarely even a chuckle. It was fun to learn about all of the behind the scenes happenings for those Oriole teams I remember so well. It was also very enjoyable to get a first hand understanding how Earl managed his teams. He was a statistics person long before all of the managers emulated him; he would know how each of his players performed against each individual pitcher, and how each of his pitchers did against every batter in the league. This shows in the book as it is loaded with statistics of all kinds, perhaps a little to much of this.

All in all I have to say that this book is for Oriole fans or baseball junkies only. There are many great baseball books out there but I'm sorry to say that this one isn't one of them. Thank goodness he was a far better manager than he was an author. But to be fair, I haven't read his other books.