What Macro lens to get ? I've been looking for a good Macro lens for Nikon. I have a Nikon D7000, I've got the Nikon 60mm. This is a great lens. But I do find 60mm a little short. I need to get too close for some live subjects.

But I'm leery of getting something in the 150mm or larger. The idea sounds great, but the longer the lens the shorter the depth of field. Also the price is getting a little high. So I've been looking at the Nikon 85mm f/3.5, the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 or Tokina 100mm f/2.8. (The Nikon 105mm is great but twice the price).
Many people say auto focus is not important in Macro. I find it extremely helpful. I find it very hard to focus many times due to the contortions necessary to get the angle I'm after. I don't mind a little slow but I do want accurate focus.

That's the one thing I've heard about the Tamron and Tokina, auto focus is not up to the Nikon standard. They all seem to get rave reviews on picture quality. But the Tamron and Tokina are a little faster than the Nikon. So any recommendations?

Nikon 85mm f/3.5G AF-S DX ED VR Micro Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR CamerasTamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP AF/MF 1:1 Macro Lens for Nikon Digital SLR CamerasTokina 100/2.8 ATX Digital Ready 1:1 AF-D Macro Lens for Nikon USA
asked by Craig Youngman on August 9, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
I've been in the same boat for the past several months and ultimately ordered the Nikon 85mm f/3.5G (w/standard 52mm filter) just a few days ago that should be arriving on Monday. I prefer the cropped DX format (D5100) and have no intentions of going FX.

I own a Tokina 12-24mm f/4.0 Pro II wide angle and love it, so I have no qualms about buying third party, as long as the quality is there. The Tokina 100mm f/2.8 was a very close contender, however, with no AF or VR (both of which are not absolutely necessary in micro, though very nice to have otherwise)... availability became a problem.

I also considered the Nikon 60mm and 105mm, the first being a little too short for micro and the latter being too heavy and pricey. Although they both possess a faster f/2.8... you don't normally shoot micro wide open and I imagine I'll be hanging around the f/8 and f/11 area most of the time anyway.

BTW, Nikon will soon be releasing a 40mm f/2.8G Micro later this month @ $279.00... (much too short for me... less available light). The 40mm prime is just too close in range to what I already own (Nikon 35mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.8). The 85mm simply fits in better and I also like the internal focus too.

Good luck with your quest, I'd be interested in knowing which lens you choose.
J. Ludwick answered on August 11, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for the info, I would like to hear how you like the Nikon once you get it. In my case Tokina would have auto focus. The D7000 has a focus motor built in. So in my case that doesn't exclude the Tokina, it's still in the running.

Thanks again. Let me know what you think of the Nikon
Craig Youngman answered on August 13, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
One other characteristic I considered regarding the Tokina 100mm Macro is the external focus, the barrel extends out enough that it 'may' interfere with the object being photographed. Not a deal breaker though.

The Nikon 85mm Micro has internal focus and I can interchange the 52mm filters I already own.

I'll let you know of my initial impressions. :)
J. Ludwick answered on August 13, 2011

A
Ok Craig, I've had two days to play with this new lens, mind you it's my first micro...

In terms of micro use and bees, I've found it better to (fine) focus manually, or at least just until I'm ready to shoot. The AF will tend to lose a moving object close up. I do like having the VR option as most of what I photograph in my backyard (so far) has been hand held and there is a huge difference when cropping. This 85mm is considerably lighter than my 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6. All in all, I'm very pleased with this lens and have no regrets. Will post any adverse findings.

I just uploaded two shots of an unwilling bee to this site.
J. Ludwick answered on August 16, 2011

A
Thanks for the feedback. You say you fine focus manually. Is this because it does not focus reliably (or is off slightly), or is it just focusing on the wrong spot.

When I am shooting Macro is set my auto focus where I pick the focus point (Single Point) rather than Dynamic or 3D. I find this way I can reliably pick the spot to focus on. The other methods the camera picks the spot and with Macro the slightest difference can ruin the shot.

I find telling if it's in perfect focus very hard using viewfinder or screen. That's why I would like to use autofocus. Maybe it's my old tired eyes.

Thanks again.
Craig Youngman answered on August 16, 2011

A
I use single point focus as well when setting my auto focus. With a moving object, in my case a bumblebee, it's very hard to point focus then recompose the shot (the bee just won't cooperate with me and remain still). The fault in the auto focus 'searching' is me , not the lens. Still objects are great with AF and VR.

I'm headed to Niagara Falls in the morning and can't wait to 'break-in' my rather new Tokina 12-24mm.
J. Ludwick answered on August 17, 2011

A
Thanks for all your info.

Have a great trip
Craig Youngman answered on August 17, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›