4.0 out of 5 stars Twain...
Published on May 1, 2009 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars What is this? A joke?
Published on September 3, 2012 by Novamind

4.0 out of 5 stars Twain..., May 1, 2009
Mark Twain had a way with words, and I can only hope the price of this edition and the popularity of the e-book format gets people to read him more (both young and old). He's sort of become a caricature because of the popularity of a couple of his books, and many only know of him through the various visual productions of his stories, but he shows his depth of understanding and the broadness of his thoughts in his fun to read, easy to grasp essays.

This is well worth the price, even for the book's title essay, and even if you just keep this on your Kindle for months and read one essay on the occasional Sunday afternoon.

This particular edition does have a TOC, though the Kindle doesn't see it. Go to the cover, and then page down. That's where it lives. There are other editions of this book, I am not sure what the differances are between them.

1.0 out of 5 stars What is this? A joke?, September 3, 2012
This review is from: What is Man? And Other Essays (Paperback)
Mark Twain would likely find much to say about this horrid collection of essays, and it would probably be funny and insightful. Don't misunderstand, there's not a thing wrong with Twain's essays. I simply cannot be sure I've had the opportunity, within this crummy volume, to actually read the essays in their correct form. The problem lies with the publication itself, which was, by all appearances, self-published by some evil philistine, far more interested in taking your money than providing you with a quality product.

This thing is a train wreck! Editing doesn't seem to have entered the mind of whomever decided to smash several of Twain's excellent essays into this cheap volume, with no intention beyond making a little cash. My God. Is this even legal? Sentences are smashed together, incorrect words are interspersed throughout the text, commas are missing and lots of them; it's as if the goon that "published" this book had some inbred hatred for them. Where commas are missing, the words run together, and this is a common theme throughout this sorry volume. It is very frustrating to read works written by a master, by Mark Twain, and see them treated so cheaply. Had I had any idea this fakery, this disrespectful junker, was what I was buying, I'd never have done so.

It is up to you but I advise you to avoid wasting your money on a physical copy of this volume. I'd advise you to avoid giving your money to whomever it was that took it upon themselves to self-publish this mockery. I can't speak to the kindle/electronic version but if it is anything like what I am holding in my hands, and I assume it is, it is not worth your time or money and you would do well to seek out Twain's essays elsewhere, as they are brilliant and thoughtful and deserving of respect.

Buy this "book" if you insist, I cannot stop you. But friend, if you do buy this rubbish, don't say you haven't been warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading, May 16, 2014
I think this should be required reading for all people everywhere. Seriously. Mark Twain had it figured out. I look at all people now with this world-view in mind. READ IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, July 14, 2014
Great classic book, I am loving that amazon has these for free and am trying to collect them all.

4.0 out of 5 stars laugh out loud reading, June 22, 2014
Humor at its best. There's a section where he lists answers given by students on different subjects in school, and compiled by teachers,that itself is worth getting this book. asked to define terms, the students come up with gems such as "Alias:a good man in the bible, Capillary:a little caterpillar. franchise:anything belonging to the french.mandatory Mark twain reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Mark Twain - enough said!, April 24, 2014
His Essays are as relevant today as they were century-plus ago and will continue to be centuries to come. Technologies may have moved at a feverish pace, but human nature, the human animal, remains forever just that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love Mark Twain, January 11, 2014
He was a brilliant man, but the book is a bit ponderous. If you can plow through it there are significant insights,.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that will make you think!, January 10, 2014
I have never enjoyed a book as diverse as this one. I laughed my way thru many chapters and wept thru others. I wish we had had these books in high school instead of huck Finn. The lessons are priceless!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars mind blowing, October 25, 2013
Mark Twain's essay, "What is Man?" is actually fairly lengthy. It took me a few hours to read it, but man was it worth it! His thoughts on what motivates charity were a huge revelation; it's amazing how well Twain understood human behavior. My favorite quote is: "Diligently train your ideals upward and still upward toward a summit where you will find your chiefest pleasure in conduct which, while contenting you, will be sure to confer benefits upon your neighbor and the community."

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book and little known classic., August 5, 2013
This book will have you wondering what other life lessons Tom Sawyer had hidden in it.
Mark Twain is a great philosopher and historian. Combining pyschology and wit into common sense, that scholastic study of little practice today.

I read this book when I was in high school and 25 years later I had to get it again. A real treasure and a short read for a day at the beach.

What is Man? And Other Essays
What is Man? And Other Essays by Mark Twain (Paperback - May 5, 2013)
$12.49 $11.87