10. Someday My Prince Will Come

Posted on May 17, 2009 2:33:45 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 18, 2009 9:02:13 AM PDT]

Posted on May 17, 2009 5:11:49 AM PDT
Lil Rook says:
I like that list Daddyojazz u made some good points

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2009 7:12:51 PM PDT
daddyojazz says:
Lil rook, I thank you for your kind words, if you ever want to chat about jazz give me a holler. I thought your top 10 choices were excellent ones also. Miles made so many fine albums and he touched so many people with particular ones that I can see a case for your list.

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 7:17:24 AM PDT
J. Williams says:
1. Kind Of Blue
2. Nefertiti
3. Someday My Prince Will Come
4. Bitches Brew
5. Star People
6. Sorceror
7. Water Babies
8. E.S.P.
9. Miles Smiles
10. In A Silent Way

1st great quintet on Prestige - Cookin, Relaxin, Workin and Steamin

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 6:07:33 PM PDT
1. Kind of Blue, of course.
2.-5Cookin', Relaxin', Workin' and Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
6. Someday My Prince Will Come
7. In A Silent Way
8. Round About Midnight
9. Sketches of Spain
10. Milestones

I was privileged to see the '50s quintet with 'trane, the '60s with hancock, carter, shorter and williams, and the '70d Electric group live and the rest on video. Miles was a genius and jazz has lost its next direction from his absence.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2009 6:19:57 PM PDT
Lil Rook says:
You couldn't have said that any better and i like your list 2-5 are often forgotten about my favorite has always been Cookin' and I'm glad to see somebody agrees with me about Milestones a very underrated classic.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2009 6:22:07 PM PDT
Lil Rook says:
I like your list J.Williams I wasn't expecting Water Babies or Star People but i love both albums. Neither of those albums have gotten the respect they deserve IMO.

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 7:26:15 PM PDT
daddyojazz says:
i would like to know why amazon deleted my list
so here it is once again:
1 kind of blue -
2 milestones
3 sketches of spain
4.the 'in series incuding walkin'
5.esp
6 in a silent way
7.my funny valentine
8.four n more
9 miles with charlie parker
10 bitches brew

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2009 9:15:23 PM PDT
Lil Rook says:
I dont know why it was deleted i thought u may have done but thanks for adding it again

Posted on Aug 29, 2009 7:17:14 PM PDT
Wolver says:
Difficult list to make. Complete excellent albums from Columbia/Legacy:

1. Bitches Brew
2. In a silent way
3. Kind of Blue
4. Milestones
5. Porgy and Bess
6. E.S.P
7. Filles de Kilimanjaro
8. A Tribute to Jack Johnson
9. Miles Smiles
10. Big Fun

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2009 1:37:42 PM PDT
RobbyJ says:
lil rook, good catch on J. Williams' great choice of "Star People". I think that "SP" and "Aura" are his best "post-retirement" albums.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2009 7:55:09 AM PDT
Lil Rook says:
Great List Wolver Big Fun is also another underrated album and very much forgotten about

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2009 7:56:15 AM PDT
Lil Rook says:
i agree Robby J Star people and Aura were both near classics in my opinion

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 4:04:48 PM PST
1)My Funny Valentine (The Complete Concert) Kind of Blue may have been the greatest 2 days by some of the greatest jazz musicians in the history of the music, but this album is the finest single evening of music by great musicians playing out of this world.

2)Kind of Blue- what else can I say that hasn't been said already. Classic.

3)In A Silent Way- Music isn't a competition, but this makes "Bitches Brew" sound like a time capsule recording, a sound that belongs to 1969. There is not contest; "Silent Way" is absolutely timeless, and Miles really used electronics in a way that wasn't overpowering with the acoustic instruments. The only time for Miles's recording output post 1969.

4) Porgy and Bess -never got into "Sketches of Spain" that door never opened for me, but this is some great ensemble work and writing. I was shocked to find out some musicians thought it was sloppy and more rehearsal time was needed (Gunther Schuller). I don't hear it, this album kills me every time.

5) "Round About Midnight" The beginning of an amazing band.

6) Milestones

7) Tutu

8) Cookin

9) Miles Ahead

10)

Posted on Dec 21, 2009 3:12:09 PM PST
Lil Rook says:
I like all of your picks but i would of put Miles Smiles E.S.P. something from the 2nd great quintet in the list. I also agree with your pick the 1964 concert was one of the greatest ever.

Posted on Jan 2, 2010 3:02:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2010 3:18:20 PM PST
James says:
1. In a Silent Way
2. Round About Midnight
3. Sketches of Spain (I wish there were drums on it, maybe light brush playing would've made it better IMO)
4. Kind Of Blue
5. Seven Stepts to Heaven (Classic, great chops, great band, mid period record)
6. Nefertiti
7. Filmore: Live at the Fillmore East (Jarrett and Corea have great chemistry, love the electric keys played with ring modulators and guitar pedels)
8. Pangaea (I prefer this to Agharta, not as energetic but a bit mellower, like the flute)
9. Get Up With it ('Calypso Frelimo' the best eletric Miles ever PERIOD; 'He Loved Him Madly' he revists doing electric quietly for the first and last time since 'In a silent Way', this time with dual electric guitars comping rather than keyboards, very interesting)
10. Agharta

Yes, I like the electric stuff. Bitches Brew to me has more of an experimental and tentative sound rather than someting done with real conviction. I have all the live electric ones. When everything really meshes, he's better on the live ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2010 8:35:01 PM PST
RobbyJ says:
Yeah, I gotta agree: I like Miles' live electric stuff more than the studio. Maybe because they're touring and have been playing together every night, there seems to be more excitement and just plain fun. I still haven't posted my Top 10 yet, though. I'm just commenting on everybody else's. Does that make me a weinie?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2010 9:37:04 PM PST
James says:
It is hard to commit. I chagned it about six times while I was doing it. I'm still not sure I'm satisfied:)

Posted on Jan 2, 2010 10:27:02 PM PST
RobbyJ says:
Thanks, James. With your encouragement, I think I just might be able to pull the trigger.;)

Posted on Jan 3, 2010 3:32:33 PM PST
daddyojazz says:
for all of the angst and explosiveness of the electric miles --the miles quintet recordings with coltrane and garland and chambers and jones and later with shorter and herbie and carter and williams can't be touched. i did my top 10 earlier and as you see i do not ignore the electric miles with entries #6 and #10 .

Posted on Jan 3, 2010 3:32:35 PM PST
daddyojazz says:
for all of the angst and explosiveness of the electric miles --the miles quintet recordings with coltrane and garland and chambers and jones and later with shorter and herbie and carter and williams can't be touched. i did my top 10 earlier and as you see i do not ignore the electric miles with entries #6 and #10 .

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2010 4:26:18 PM PST
Lil Rook says:
Nice list James with the fusion Miles on there a forgotten about looked down upon part of Miles' career im not a big fan of the 70's well excluding some of it especially On the corner and beyond. But i do love In a Silent way, filles de kilimanjaro which is slightly fusion and Jack Johnson.

Posted on Jun 3, 2010 9:08:54 AM PDT
I noticed today that E.S.P. is out of print.

Does anyone know if it is going to be re-issued ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2010 11:05:19 AM PDT
Lil Rook says:
I'm not sure yet. I've notice this and Seven Steps to Heaven both being out of print. I suggest you buy this ASAP before the prices get ridicolously high. Hopefully Columbia reissues it but you never know there has also been a lot of Thelonious Monk Columbia albums out of print as well.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kind of Blue forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2009
Latest post:  Aug 27, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kind of Blue
Kind of Blue by Miles Davis (MiniDisc)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (1,252)