Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Celebration forum

What Next for Madonna?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 6, 2009 12:29:50 AM PDT
Ashish Shah says:
Now that the most definitive (relatively speaking) greatest hits album is out and we all have an opinion on what should and should not have made the final cut, lets look forward and talk about who should Madonna work with next. After all, doesn't she dislike post mortems? My vote goes to the following:

1. Bring back William Orbit, Patrick Leonard and Shep Pettibone for a mix of soulful music and kick-ass beats.
2. A totally Eastern direction with A.R. Rahman [Slumdog Millionaire]. Since I am from India, let me assure all that the man's a genius. SM is just average AR Rahman. He can work magic in terms of taking Madonna in a new direction. (Think William Orbit with an Indian soul)
3. A truly ambient vibe with the likes of Radiohead, Moby
4. Slow rock, Grunge with Alanis? Glen Ballard? Coldplay?

Regards, Ashish

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2009 5:10:18 AM PDT
xavier says:
Hi Ashish, before i share my opinion on what Madonna could do next, i just want to say that i love India & its people, the food, its beautiful dazzling movies & songs & specially, its male stars (lol).
After watching the SNL skit with Madonna catfighting with Lady Gaga, i suddenly realize that a duet between the two would come naturally. Madonna has already done a duet with Britney & the result, although no uber-classic, was mildly succesful. Lady Gaga, artistically speaking, is more in-tandem with Madonna's sensibility. I could actually "buy" these two on a hot, risque dance track. It would also be a clever way for Madonna to launch her first album with Live Nation. Considering the way US radio has been edging her out, she can pull the trick she did with Hard Candy's 1st single again (it was a collaboration w/Justin & Timbaland so radio play was guaranteed, therefore charting in the top 10), only this time she would be coming right out the gate with Gaga who is played all over radio now & have a chart-topper again.
In terms of what "flavor" her new album could have, although she just recently said she's been listening to a lot of electronic music, i think she should lean more towards world music (with a dance beat, of course!) as electronic has/is been done by everyone, and is rather dry & emotionless (don't get me wrong - i love me some Human League/Annie/Robyn/Goldfrapp. etc.) but something along the lines of "Isaac" from Confessions, which was so exotic & mysterious, with a nice beat. Or the eastern direction you mentioned would be quite nice!
Truth is, Madonna has practically done it all (except christian country music, lol), what i would love to see/hear is a full return to the mischievous-funny sense of humour she displayed during the first 10 years of her stellar career.

Posted on Oct 6, 2009 6:39:25 AM PDT
She needs to go in a different direction. I think she's done what she could with electronic and needs stay clear of Hip Hop/R&B. That did not work. She needs to work with her voice more and not have it electronically filtered. She's worked so hard with her voice during and after Evita, that it's time to bring it back. Hopefully, she'll surprise us.

Posted on Oct 6, 2009 12:37:53 PM PDT
She should definitely do another ''Ray Of Light''. That is one of the best albums ever.

Posted on Oct 7, 2009 11:23:09 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Go back to the electronic music like Ray of Light, Music or American Life....

Posted on Oct 7, 2009 6:51:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2009 6:52:15 PM PDT
Hardy Har says:
SHE'S GOING TO DISNEYWORLD!

...I want her to do pop-rock (or guitar pop, or whatever kids these days are calling it). Like the Michelle Branch/Kelly Clarkson/Pink stuff. There. I said it. It's probably never gonna happen in a million years, but it IS my favorite genre, and she hasn't really tackled the genre full-on yet. I don't think she's really tackled it at all. That's one avenue she can explore while REALLY making a reinvention (if she feels so inclined).

Or country-pop, which has an even lower chance of happening, since her music is so dance-oriented.

Still, I can always dream. Failing that, I wouldn't mind if she went back to stuff like Ray of Light, Bedtime Stories, Confessions, or even Hard Candy (as long as she tapes Pharrell's mouth shut, or just doesn't work with the Neptunes, period).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2009 2:45:36 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 9, 2014 5:56:50 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2009 2:50:19 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 9, 2014 5:57:41 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 4:34:44 PM PDT
Hardy Har says:
I suppose I Love New York might count to some degree, but not a huge one. I'm talking more stuff like Behind These Hazel Eyes, So What, Just Like A Pill, Are You Happy Now?, Walk Away, I Do Not Hook Up - but I don't know how well Madonna's voice would mesh with that sort of music - she's got a good voice, but she'd definitely need some songs tailored for her range and tone in that genre. But I'd still love to find out. I suppose she could get close to the genre though, if she did something like My Life Would Suck Without You, or U + Ur Hand - stuff that's decidedly pop-rock/guitar pop stuff, but with a dance edge. I'd still love her to test it out full-on, though... or at least try the Maroon 5/Sara Bareilles route, with a little bit of a funk edge.

I know Madonna is typically considered a leader and not a follower, since she's fond of testing out established styles in new ways, and sometimes bringing more obscure styles to mainstream, but I wouldn't mind her being a bit more of a follower in this case and seeing what she could do with what she's following. Besides, I'm getting a bit tired of urban and electro-pop stuff right now.

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 3:27:20 PM PST
Elden says:
I would like to hear some cutting edge dance music from Madonna! I like that best from her, and maybe an electronica ballad! "Confessions on a dance floor" is my favorite Madonna album, I could listen to that all day long! I LOVE YOU MADONNA! CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR THE NEW STUFF WITH LIVE NATION!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2009 9:20:41 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jun 9, 2014 5:59:44 AM PDT]

Posted on Dec 14, 2009 2:11:37 PM PST
Larry Davis says:
Madonna's always been a rocker who dabbled with pop, alternative, dance, urban and world music...she HAS done some powerpop-type numbers, like yeah, "I Love New York", but also "Don't Tell Me", "Beautiful Stranger" and "Miles Away" are powerpop-type of songs...she has rearranged songs on her last 2 tours to be more like punkrock...maybe Madge can do a mix of alt-country/country-punk with some kickass drums or cool worldbeats, not unlike what New Order has done, or even electronic/goth/new wave, like "Frozen" was.

In reality, I prefer not to guess, as I'd like to be surprised by her next move...

Posted on Dec 16, 2009 11:49:40 AM PST
I agree with Hardy Har. I would also like her to do a pop/rock album, maybe mixed in with some electronic beats like Garbage. She probably won't since she seems to prefer electronic music. But pop/rock (not too heavy like metal or punk) is my favorite kind of music. It would be a new direction for her and not totally uncommercial since a lot of pop/rock stuff like Pink and Kelly Clarkson is played on the radio. I would also like to her to do some piano ballads like Tori Amos and Kate Bush. I miss her ballads!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Celebration forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Oct 6, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 16, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Celebration
Celebration by Madonna (Audio CD - 2009)
4.4 out of 5 stars (221)