4.0 out of 5 stars Get the Big Picture of Reformed Theology
Growing up in a Baptist church, I knew very little about Reformed theology. When I started attending a "Reformed" church my only concern was how dogmatically they might teach Calvinism- which in my mind had something to do with TULIP and God forcing people to believe in Him. I have no doubt that many others have seen Reformed theology in a similar light. In What is...
Published on July 12, 2005 by Roger N. Overton

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, But Not Great
I purchased this book to begin a study of Reformed Theology, and on the whole was not dissapointed. Dr. Sproul is very clear and engaging as a writer, and it is easy to understand.

My dissapointment comes with the 2nd part of the book, where he discusses Calvinism. He tends at times to obfuscate the meaning of the more objectional doctrines (Unconditional...
Published on January 3, 2006 by Lee E. Foster

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 47 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, January 28, 2014
This is a very educational book and easy to understand. I enjoyed the foundation and background it gave to the articles and meaning of the reformed faith. I first encounter with this book was an audio presentation of it. Great to listen to while driving or exercising.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, November 30, 2013
This review is from: What is Reformed Theology?: Understanding the Basics (Kindle Edition)
Sproul provides a comprehensive explanation of historical Christian theology. This book helped me understand how the doctrines of Grace fit into the context of Reformed Theology. This will help me provide a better defense of my beliefs about Scripture, rather than just spouting the five points of Calvinism aimlessly to people who have already heard and don't understand them.

I love how Sproul illustrates numerous difficult topics throughout this work. His simple yet graphic imagery helps lead a reader who was "born a Pelagian" into a more full understanding and appreciation of God's sovereign Grace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well thought and developed, November 12, 2013
Just finished reading this book. It's very brainy material and took me several months to read it thoroughly and digest all of it, but I'm glad I did. I wouldn't use this as an evangelistic tool to convince your non-Reformed friends to change their theology, but for those who are curious or those who want a more solid understanding of Reformed theology then this is an excellent resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars A helpful little book, February 25, 2013
Honestly, I can't remember where I got this book. I didn't even really plan on reading the whole thing when I got it. I looked at the table of contents and thought that the chapter on "Covenant theology" would be helpful as I have been learning how the role of covenants have played into God's relationship with humankind. The first three pages caught my attention with a story that the author told about visiting a Christian college in the Midwest. He made a distinction between the study of "religion" and the study of "theology" and why it was important. I kept reading and am glad I did. This book is simple to understand, yet deep in truth. I stopped highlighting because there were two many succinct, profound statements here.

Many people would begin an explanation of Reformed Theology with TULIP. However, Sproul used the first half of the book to build a foundation of Reformed doctrine. It begins with, and is centered on, God. Next, we build on that with God's Word and the third stone is that it is committed to faith alone. The next two concepts begin to differentiate Reformed doctrine from others: It is built on the offices of prophet, priest, and king, and the covenants of the Bible. These make complete sense to me which is why the TULIP becomes a logical conclusion. However, he adjusts the acrostic, TULIP, to help explain it better. And his explanation was extremely helpful.

All of the five points of Reformed theology rest on the "T" of TULIP: Total depravity. However, Sproul's definitions make much more sense because we know that no one is as bad as they could be. Therefore, the distinction of man's sinfulness (aka corruption) is not in degree, but in extent. The five points are then better understood as 1) Humanity's radical corruption, 2) God's sovereign choice, 3) Christ's purposeful atonement, 4) The Spirit's effective call, and 5) God's preservation of the saints.

The subtitle of this book is "Understanding the basics." I completely agree and wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone interesting in the study of God.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative, but a bit dense, January 10, 2013
Awesome book that is one of the most informative books I've read on Reformed Theology. This book *will* take you a long time to get through if you read it properly. The information is just so intense, with many complicated concepts that hinge on seemingly small details. Note-taking is a must when reading.

As an introduction to Reformed Theology, I would not recommend it for the average reader, unless you have some background in theology or have some great critical thinking skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars The modern church needs this type of teaching., September 9, 2012
Mike Pettengill (La Ceiba, Honduras) - See all my reviews
Dr. Sproul is the Senior Minister of Preaching and Teaching at Saint Andrew's, a congregation in Sanford, FL. He is the founder and chairman of Ligonier Ministries. Sproul is the executive editor of Tabletalk magazine and the author of over 70 books.

Originally released in Grace Unknown in 1997, this revised version was published in 2005. Sproul begins the book by giving a historical then a scriptural background of reformed theology. To see where we are going we must first see where we have been and why we are taking the journey. In the second half of the book Sproul explains what Reformed theology is and how it impacts us today and how alters our view of eternity.

The author tells us Reformed theology applies the doctrine of God relentlessly to all other doctrines, making it the chief control factor in all theology. When we engage in the quest to understand God, it is theology. When our quest is limited to understanding how people react to theology, it is religion.

The modern church needs this type of teaching. The author delivers these weighty doctrines at a level people in the pews can comprehend and digest. Sproul has made the subject matter pleasurable and understandable for all. For those who whish to learn and be challenged Sproul is a master communicator of complex topics.

Dr. Sproul's book is superb for teachers and students and is clear enough to be beneficial to both new learners and theologians. This is a great book to better understand faith in Christ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Basic Introduction to Reformed Theology, February 19, 2009
I first read this book under its original title "Grace Unknown" over a decade ago when I wanted to learn more about "Calvinism". I found this book to be an excellent basic introduction to the topic. Many of the misconceptions I had about Calvinism were cleared up when I read this work. Some have complained that there is a lack of substantial scripture references within the book, but I believe the purpose of the book is to explain Reformed Theology rather than to defend Reformed Theology. Keeping this in mind, R C Sproul was successful in communicating to the laymen the basics of Reformed Theology, and therefore I gave the book 5 Stars.

For those who want to continue to increase their understanding of the mechanics of Reformed Theology, I recommend "Faith Alone" and "Essential Truths of the Christian Faith", both by R C Sproul. Another good book on the subject is "The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, Documented" by David N. Steele, Curtis C. Thomas, and S. Lance Quinn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, this book is a great Sunday School book!, November 15, 2006
Quiltndollmaker (Mom of the South) - See all my reviews
We are going through this book in our adult class at Church and R. C. has caused us to seriously think about what we really believe. Wonderful!!!

R. C. Sproul is a great writer and his teaching is very inspiring!!! Wow!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and Sweet, December 13, 2007
In simple words, this is a wonderful book. It will serve to straighten out a lot of mixed up Christians who, through little fault of their own, wind up with a disjointed view of Scripture and a serious misunderstanding of their own salvation, because they don't have a foundation in the fundamentals of Biblical doctrine.

This book teaches orthodoxy as clearly and eloquently as I've ever read it or heard it preached. It's fair to say that the language is crafted, since Sproul has taught the subject in seminary for decades, and is completly familiar with the topic. His arguments are logical and well organized; they flow from premise to conclusion with such clarity that a novice can grasp the argument the first time through.

This book makes my short list of must haves, both for it's impact and concise delivery in only 216 pages. Actually, its a masterpiece because it delivers exactly what its title advertises. If you have struggled to understand the Bible and the Gospel message, and just can't put the pieces together for an effective witness, step back, turn the T.V. ministry off, put aside the half baked theology of easy believism and man centered gospels, and return to the truths the Reformers burned at the stake to re-establish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great intro to these deep thoughts, October 1, 2014
Sproul does such a wonderful job in bringing in-depth study of the Word of God with an easy interpretation to listeners an readers alike without forsaking the true message of the Gospel. Of course, this book is tilted to reformed theology and thinking but Sproul looks at each point from the opposite side also with clarity. I found that everything was re-iterated (and perhaps even more clearly displayed) with the audio/video presentations on his website, Ligonier. I usually followed each chapter or point up with the video or audio which was extremely helpful.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 47 | Next ›