Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: What Is Thanksgiving?
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 27, 2010
I was motivated to purchase this board book for my granddaughter BECAUSE of the review which mocked its mention of God.

I'm bufuddled that the offended reveiwer seems to think that the holiday is secular in origin in any respect whatsoever! The Pilgrims gave thanks to God for their safe transit to the New World, and for their very lives. From the time George Washington first proclaimed a national day of Thanksgiving, the thanks was directed to God. This was before ACLU and atheists chipped away at our founding fathers' unabashed thanks to God for the establishment of our great country. Perhaps the author needed to incorporate a little more history into the story.

All in all, it's a very pleasant recount of what most families experience on Thanksgiving, the preparations of cooking turkey and fixings, watching the Macy's Day Parade on TV (or in person for those lucky enough to get to NY), joining with family or friends over a meal, and football and conversation. However, the punch line, which is what it's all about, is being thankful to God, who gives us all that is good. Bravo for a great story in board book form! I am thankful (to God) that your creativity was bestowed on you :)
44 comments|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2009
This is the best book for Thanksgiving that I have found for toddlers & preschoolers! The text is written in a rhyming pattern that has a fun rhythem. The illustrations are realistic while still being child friendly, lots of things children like in each picture without being too busy. The books theme is what exactly is Thanksgiving? While the all of the many traditions that have grown up around Thanksgving are mentioned (such as good food such as turkey, green beans and apple pie, handprint turkey drawings, adults busy in the kitchen, parades and floats, family coming to visit, football and school plays) the book emphasizes that the purpose of Thanksgivng, the reason for the holiday is to give thanks to God for all of our blessings for yet another year. All of the above mentioned are used as examples of things for which to be grateful as well as pets and God's love for us.

Although people of all religious beliefs and those with limited or atheistic beliefs have adapted this holiday to their suite their own spiritual framework, this holiday is a Christian holiday, founded by Christians and continued by Chritians presidents of a Christian nation. The purpose of Thanksgiving is to give thanks to God. This message is simple and complete in this charming, enjoyable book. If one is not a Christian then this book would not be for you as it does include the secular aspects of the holiday, its message is the actual, original and true meaning of the holiday not a secularized version or a spiritually bankrupt version of the holiday's meaning.

This book does not include the original Thanksgivng story or history, just the original meaning that has been continued to present day.

The family depicted in the illustrations is of Eurpean ancestory. A darker skinned famiy is shown as visiting the family after dinner in the second to last scene. Also, an apparently Asian boy is also shown in this scene.
on December 6, 2013
This book is terrible and does not explain AT ALL what Thanksgiving is about. It essentially says that it is not about football and relatives but is instead a day we all give thanks to God. I was really looking for something to provide at least a high level intro to the pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving meal. I do not object to a religious aspect at all, but this does not paint an even remotely accurate depiction of the holiday or it's origins.The cover should not be children dressed as pilgrims since they are not included in this books subject matter. I chucked it since it's not worth returning.
on November 19, 2013
I purchaced this as a book to explain thanksgiving to my toddler. I should have read the other reviews and would have relized that this book centers on the idea of giving thanks to God. while this may work for some families this is not what I was looking for.
on November 19, 2013
Beware! Listen to the reviews on here that let you know this book overemphasizes God's role in Thanksgiving. If that's how you see Thanksgiving, then this is the book for you. If you are of the mind that Thanksgiving is a truly American holiday, where we can give thanks to whomever we thank (which is not always "God" for some families), steer clear. I was not comfortable reading this book to my son; we do not emphasize religion or God in our household, which is our choice, and I tried to modify the book to reflect our views, but the whole moral of the book is that "Thanksgiving is a special day to praise the Lord above. We take this time to say: 'God, thank you for your love!'" That's not what I think Thanksgiving is, and it's not what I am trying to teach my son.

This taught me to read reviews and, when available, to review the book online before purchasing. This is going in the 'donate' bin.
on November 16, 2010
A quick and easy reminder to toddlers what Thanksgiving is all about. Only caution is that is does have a religious theme so if you are not Christian, you may not like it. I personally loved it and found it a perfect way to explain the real meaning behind Thanksgiving (other than the food, the football, the parade). It rhymes and its short so good really for any age.
on December 11, 2012
We bought "What is Christmas" from the same author last year and loved it, so I had to purchase this one when I saw it. Just as the previously mentioned title, it does a great job of talking about the traditions of the season and how they are good and fun, but that the real point is to show our gratitude to God for His many blessing to us. A must-have for Christian families with young children!
on December 6, 2013
I should have looked through this before buying it. I had no idea it was focused solely on giving thanks to Jesus. Not terrible, if that's your thing. But my 1 year old would NOT sit for reading it. Dont be fooled by its board book appeal...its not a "baby" engaging book.
on January 3, 2014
We and our 15 month old son absolutely loved this book. He enjoyed that it is a board book and that it rhymes when we read aloud to him. We enjoyed the story telling and the Christian theme about giving thanks to God for all that he provides while still having plenty of non-religous Thanksgiving traditions as well. We think this will be a favorite for years to come as our son learns to read and comprehend on his own.
on January 21, 2014
I bought this for my 15 month old as a way to start introducing the idea of Thanksgiving. He enjoys listening to the story and flipping the pages. There is a religious emphasis in this book, so if you don't like that then I would not purchase this book.