5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite books on photography, March 1, 2011
This review is from: What Was True: The Photographs and Notebooks of William Gedney (Hardcover)
I picked up this book a few years ago in a used bookstore in Brooklyn. Since then it has become one of my most treasured and valued books on the subject of photography.*
The images themselves are rare examples of a great photographer's mind at work, all the necessary elements are there; composition, timing and most importantly content.
I often bring this book out of the bookshelf and keep it close to my desk for a few weeks, reading passages and viewing images over the course of a few weeks. I never fail to be impressed and a little inspired.
* While my library is not that terribly extensive it is however a little selective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, just not enough of it, February 10, 2013
What a fantastic photographer -- if only he had lived.
His work was compartmentalized into various locations, and it must have been impossible to show enough of each segment within the pages of a small book.
He needs a VIDEO of his work.

What Was True: The Photographs and Notebooks of William Gedney