What does "Run many Windows XP productivity apps in Windows 7" mean?! Sorry for the noob'ish question, but I haven't been following the development of Windows 7 closely.

On the upgrade chart, comparing the Win 7 Home Premium vs Pro (vs Ultimate) versions, there's a line item entitled "Run many Windows XP productivity apps in Windows 7".

What does this really mean? If an (older) app runs on Vista Home Premium 64, will it continue to work with Windows 7? What apps -wouldn't- work in Win 7 without having the Pro version + the "free downloadable emulator"?

Thanks very much.
asked by Eno Detah on June 26, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
Paul isn't exactly correct. This is more powerful that virtualization in that it allows you to run XP applications and they appear as native apps (they appear in your start menu, and run in a virtual machine, but look and act like native apps). And it isn't limited to XP, although a lot of the info about it online doesn't make that perfectly clear. Read up about it here: http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/04/24/secret-no-more-revealing-virtual-windows-xp-for-windows-7.aspx
Scott J. Zero answered on June 26, 2009
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hey Paul, appreciate the reply.

I understand virtualization (e.g., just this week I worked with my dev team at work to deploy a new client into Amazon's EC2 cloud on Win 2003 server instances)

...but what I don't understand is what apps, drivers, etc. won't be compatible with Win7 if I don't go Pro/Ultimate vs Home Premium. Is there a list of "popular legacy apps" somewhere?

Thanks again for the reply man!
Eno Detah answered on June 26, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Scott, thanks a ton for the great link; super helpful!
Eno Detah answered on June 26, 2009

A
I would still like the answer to the original question. I too have programs I run on XP - RAdmin, my software with printing scanning, software with my camera, educational software etc. Will this run on Windows 7 or does Windows 7 only run special Windows 7 type programs? I'm would prefer the cheaper Home edition but if none of my programs actually run without this special XP mode, the operating system would be worthless for me.
David B. Sable answered on July 9, 2009

A
Windows 7 will continue to run most applications written for Windows XP and newer with out having to do anything special. Some applications you will just need to run in compatibility mode. A few applications you will need to run in Virtual XP mode. Microsoft has a site for looking up Application Compatibility.

It is recommended that you also look into upgrading your applications as well as your OS. While Office 2003 will run in Windows 7, Office 2007 runs better.

For hardware, you will need to find Windows Vista or Windows 7 compatible drivers.
BW answered on November 14, 2009

A
Yeah ! come on and answer the question! Does win 7 run office 2003 from xp or not? Or is it just the apps that came with xp such as mine sweep
Hungry IT answered on November 12, 2009
Comment | 0 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
win7 professional introduce an application that allow you to install xp in it ,this is what we refer to as virtual machine technology, however, it can only install xp, so is not as powerful as VMare
Paul answered on June 26, 2009
Comment | 0 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›