Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

90%
10%

on December 5, 2012
As an eating disorders specialist, I received this book as a gift and thought I would just flip to the sections on eating to see if the author agreed with my views. But I was so impressed with her handling of those topics that I ended up reading the other sections one by one until I had finished the book cover to cover. The conversational and easy-to-relate to style I attribute to Dr. Greenspan's extensive experience sharing healthy strategies with teenagers, including her own. Somehow she addresses this book to the parent without "siding" with either the adults or the teens. She is able to convey both sides' point of view on difficult issues (including Dads) as well as her own take on moving forward without blaming one or the other. At the same time, she doesn't mince words when she feels that someone (adult or teen) needs an attitude adjustment or change in behavior. I alredy thought I knew it all, having raised my own two step-daughters and seen hundreds of teenage girls in practice, but this book brought to my attention some additional issues I hadn't considered. Highly recommended, especially for parents of pre-teens who want to avoid some of the pitfalls of adolescence before they occur. Thank you Dr. Greenspan for a fantastic guide!
on August 20, 2011
What Do You Expect? She's a Teenager!: A Hope and Happiness Guide for Moms with Daughters
written by Arden Greenspan-Goldberg
This has been a full family reading. As soon as the book arrived, my 12 year old daughter picked it up and didn't put it down. I was about to tell her to wait until I read it, making sure the content was appropriate since she is on the lower spectrum of the age; but, decided to just let her go for it. I know she would probably digest what she was comfortable with and shim over other parts. I too read cover to cover but could see my husband picking the chapters he was comfortable with. The book offers a wonderful platform to open discussions if you read it with your daughter; great advice if you have an area you might be struggling with and nice support if things are going smoothly with your daughter. This book is a great reminder of how respect and communication are critical to all relationships. Overall I would say a great read an reference.
on June 1, 2012
I have four daughters and the minute they turned 13 I had no idea who they were or who they turned into!! Book was very helpful in reassuring I wasn't alone during these trying years.
on January 18, 2012
I highly recommend this book to anyone--mom or dad--who has a teenage daughter. It is full of practical, sensible advice for parents on how to deal with the ups and downs of parenting a teenager. My only criticism is that the subtitle should be "A Hope and Happiness Guide for PARENTS with Daughters Ages 11-19." My daughter is 13 and going through a very turbulent adolescence. Right now, we have a very close mother/daughter bond, but I wanted to make sure we keep that going, so I bought this book to help me figure out what to do as she gets older. So far, the advice and information provided in this book has been priceless. I intend to keep it as a "Teenage Reference Manual" for the coming years.
on September 7, 2011
I SORELY wish I had access to this book while my fiance's sister (our foster child) was living with us. Though the adults in her life had once been teenagers themselves, it was difficult to communicate that we were trying to be caring (as opposed to controlling). The title did hit a nerve with me because the therapist we were seeing repeated this phrase to the point where I was like, "I don't want to hear it" because in my opinion, it was just an excuse. However, I did get some validation from this book because it shows you can trust your instincts!

Arden recommends that computers be kept in common areas instead of personal ones to set boundaries and provide adequate supervision. She recommends installing monitoring software for 11-14-year-olds, which I absolutely agree with, though you may have to start younger depending on how tech-savvy your kiddo is.

The foundation of this book is communication. Anticipate, educate, be realistic, and explain beyond "because I said so." The biggest thing I struggled with is expecting the teenager to think things through logically. They don't always think. They can be impulsive and that's why it's that much more important for us to be good role models (and ones that know how to laugh).

This is a book worthy of being on every parent's/teacher's/person working with a teenager's bookshelf. This book covers everything from dating, sex and body image, to independence and bullying (VERY hot topic right now).

Disclosure: I was provided a FREE copy of this book in exchange for an honest opinion. All opinions are my own and I was not obligated to provide favorable feedback.
on May 10, 2016
The Perfect Gift for Moms with Teenage Daughters. Arden Greenspan-Goldberg has written this manual she calls “A Hope and Happiness Guide for Moms with Daughters ages 11-19”. This wonderful book of easy to digest wisdom answers questions from real Moms and covers topics from bullying, body image, drugs, alcohol, sex, and stress. Arden writes this not only from her professional perspective as a nationally known family and marriage psychotherapist, but also from the perspective of having raised a teenage daughter. “What Do You Expect, She’s a Teenager”, is the perfect gift to for any Mom of a teenage daughter.
on October 6, 2012
As a physician, I highly recommend this book to any mom that really wants to know what is going on with her tween or teenage daughter. It seems to answer all the questions a parent might have, and gives a mom a solid plan of action on how to handle just about any situation. Arden Greenspan-Goldberg hits on even the most sensitive and controversial topics a parent might have to face. It was a pleasure to read, comprehensive, honest, and keeps your attention. The tone of the book is optimistic with a good dose of reality. I look forward to Arden Greenspan-Goldberg's future books!
on August 19, 2011
Are you really wanting help? This book, What Do You Expect? She's A Teenager! will help you problem solve and give you guidance! You will love the question, answer, scripts, format....."real life"! All of Arden's years of experience and knowledge is evident and is shared in this book! For example, ideas to get your daughter talking, listening, learning...etc. All the while strengthening the daugher/mom bond,strengthening mom....etc.! This book is full of resources too! I knew of at least two Moms I could help by getting them one of Arden's books. So, I had to order more books! I truly believe Arden will never know how many people she will has helped with this book! Sincerely. Julie Blevins, RN
on October 12, 2012
What do you expect? Shes a Teenager! I expect alot out of my daughter, after reading this book I learned to not let things get to me so much. I need to communicate and be there for my daughter. My daughter is fighting the teenager inside, so she doesn't need another fight(her mother). I grew up fighting with mine and the cycle needs to stop. This book has guided me in understanding her and tought me to stop this cycle and to understand how to . A must read for Mothers and Fathers, lets face it it is easier to yell at them than to to take a breath and remember you were there once a child who wanted to be understood. Reading is not my thing, but learning to be a better parent is, and that is exactly what this book has done, and so has the author who wrote it. Arden has tought me so much, I want to say thank you for changing my family cycle.
on September 10, 2011
As an educator I live by the motto, "You never stop learning." To those moms, including myself, who think they know it all or have heard it all before - Arden Greenspan-Goldberg's book, What Do You Expect? She's a Teenager!, will open your eyes to new thought provoking ideas. Arden tackles the tough issues by offering concise strategies, guidelines, scenarios, facts, and expert advice. It's clear that there is no single answer to the constantly changing and challenging task of parenting, but Arden offers non-judgemental advice to equip moms with the tools they need to approach this monumental task. This is a must read as a guide for effective parenting! "You never stop learning," and I can say that I acquired new valuable and usable strategies as I perused the pages of this excellent resource to raising teenage daughters.