Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About(TM): Menopause: The Breakthrough Book on Natural Progesterone
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on April 29, 1997
The author, a medical doctor with 30 years of private practice experience, decided that he wasn't being very effective in helping his women patients deal with unpleasant premenopausal and menopausal symptoms. He began to research the research on hormone balance, HRT (hormone replacement therapy), and the way the medical and pharmaceutical industries deal with the "disease" of menopause and "female problems." What he discovered was that treating menopause as an "estrogen deficiency disease" was exactly wrong. In fact he argues that premenopausal and menopausal women are much more likely to be in a state of "estrogen excess" relative to levels of progesterone, which are often close to zero. Estrogen excess leads to weight gain, mood disorders, endometriosis, low sex drive, fybrocystic breasts, heart disease, and osteoporosis. Yet what the most doctors and drug companies offer to do is to increase estrogen levels with synthetic hormones made with pregnant mare's urine and synthetic progestins. While this may temporarily relieve certain symptoms like vaginal dryness and hot flashes, this HRT regime ultimately leads to worse side effects, including increased breast cancer risk, increased bone loss, increased overall cancer risk, and increased heart disease risk. Yet we are told that HRT is the only way to prevent osteoporosis and heart disease! John Lee explodes these myths and many more, including that any woman needs anhysterectomy unless she has cancer (yet over 600,000 are done in the US each year, meaning 600,000 potential new consumers of HRT!!)Over the years he has helped thousands of women restore their hormone balance and their lives with diet, exercise, and the use of natural progesterone (usually applied topically in a cream). He convincingly demonstrates that this regimen can increase bone density (even in women in their 70's and 80's!), reduce fibrocystic breast problems and the risk of breast and other cancers, reduce the risk of heart disease, increase feelings of well-being, sex drive and energy levels, reduce PMS, migraine headaches and unpleasant menopausal symptoms. He also systematically reveals the role of "xenoestrogens," the thousands of synthetic chemicals in the environment and our food supply which mimic our bodies' hormones and which increasingly create havoc with our systems.But don't just take my word for it. Please go out and read this book, then pass it along to other women you care about, including your teenage daughters and your mothers
0Comment|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 1997
This book should be titled "What Every Woman Needs to Know About Hormones". The information contained in this book is not just for menopausal women! Dr. Lee very clearly explains how hormones work in our bodies, how hormone imbalance can be misdiagnosed, how environmental toxins are affecting our hormone balance, how we can reverse osteoporosis and minimize many of the symptoms associated with the onset of menopause, and why synthetic hormones don't work and are indeed dangerous. He also explores the economic and political issues that have led to the proliferation and use of synthetic hormones at the expense of our health and why this information is being kept from the general public. As a medical doctor with over 30 years of experience, he has done much research into this topic and he sites many case studies to corroborate the information he presents about the use of natural progesterone. The book is easy to read, is referenced, has an extensive glossary, recommended reading and resource lists, and is fully indexed. This is one of the most important books on women's health I have read in years and I am recommending it to every woman I know, no matter what their age! I have already bought copies for my two daughters, age 27 and 19.
11 comment|123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
In eight years I became "hot natured," gained 20 pounds, began to search for words and for the most part walked around in a fog. Chores I once accomplished with ease required great effort and I became impatient when I could not find things. Even more disabling-my occasional headaches increased to up to thirteen a month and became migraines. Since I'd just turned 51 a friend suggested it might be hormones and recommended I get a hormone saliva test. While I was waiting for the test results another friend gave me some progesterone cream. The results were almost immediate. The frequency and intensity of the migraines decreased, my mental fog lifted, I felt more relaxed and I had more energy. In short-I was my old self again. My hormone saliva test confirmed my suspicions-my estrogen and testosterone levels were normal but my progesterone level was near zero. That's when I found Dr. John R. Lee's book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Menopause." I was shocked to learn that most menopausal women of western industrial countries have estrogen dominance (they've become deficient in progesterone) because they've been exposed to more estrogen substances in their meat, detergents, pesticides, herbicides, auto pollution and plastic household utensils. The combination of environmental pollutants, lack of exercise, cultural attitude and a diet rich in animal fat, sugar, refined starches and processed food leads to Western women's estrogen levels to be twice as high as women in the Far East and in third-world-countries whose passage through menopause is mostly symptom free. To correct the progesterone deficiency Dr. Lee recommends natural progesterone made from Mexican wild yams or soy products as they can easily be used and eliminated by the body and have no known side effects. He said synthetic hormones like progestin are not the equivalent to natural hormones and put women at risk of endometrial and breast cancer, autoimmune disorders, osteoporosis and other symptoms. I was surprised to learn that since the 1800s natural substances such as progesterone cannot be patented. Since man-made hormones are more profitable for the pharmaceutical companies (who delineate the protocols for research) they have a huge impact on science. Because of advertising many people, including physicians, think that progestin, a synthetic product, is actually progesterone. For example, estrogen alone is credited for a decrease in heart attacks and an increase of bone mass in post menopausal women but the confounding effect of progestins has never been studied. Dr. Lee's own research shows reversals of osteoporosis without the use of estrogen supplements. Best of all natural progesterone cream may help reduce or prevent migraines as it counteracts blood vessel dilation, restores normal vascular tone, and helps with blood sugar control. Since I've read Dr. Lee's book and started the natural progesterone I've heard many "miracle" stories about the cream from others and I'm delighted to ad my own.
0Comment|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 1999
This book opened my eyes to the bias that American doctors have against using natural progesterone, and the authors taught me almost everything I now know about this subject; however, they left out one extremely important point. When a patient needs progesterone, her hormone levels must be professionally tested by using a revolutionary new type of blood test or salivary test. Then, their doctor can prescribe the correct amount of natural progesterone to use and also proceed to monitor her blood levels. Hormones are very powerful and should be used under the guidance of a medical doctor who is familiar with the proper protocol. Over the counter creams can be a quick fix, but they are presently unregulated. Would you prescribe a band-aid for someone who really needs stitches in order to heal their wound? The answer, of course, is, "No!". Yet, Dr. Lee and Virginia Hopkins neglect to mention anything about the necessity of being tested and having your hormone levels monitored by a trained professional.
As the above authors state, most women in the United states are oblivious to the importance of maintaining the correct level of progesterone all the way through their premenopausal, perimenopausal and menopausal cycles. However, for some reason Dr. Lee ignores the following extremely pertinent information: "The revolutionary discovery of radioimmunoassay blood tests changed the method of measuring female hormones, because blood samples could be used with greater accuracy. To the surprise of PMS workers, this method showed that low progesterone blood levels were not necessarily associated with PMS." (Dalton, Katharina,M.D.: "Once a Month", Publishers group West, 1700 Fourth Street, Berkley, CA, 94710. Copyright 1999, p.86)The receptors that carry the progesterone to the cells may not be doing their job. Then, no matter how much progesterone one takes, there will still be medical problems in the patient. A patient who follows Dr. Lee's advice and merely begins using a progesterone cream without knowing if she needs it or not could be ignoring a very real need for medical care.
Also, radioimmunoassays "are valuable in determining the absorption of natural progesterone administered by various methods. Volunteers are tested in their follicular phase, one month with no progesterone and a subsequent month with progesterone either by injection, vaginal or rectal suppository, orally or through the skin. These tests have revealed marked differences, with the best absorption being by intramuscular injection, good absorption vaginally and rectally, and poor absorption through the skin (creams)and orally.(Ibid.p.87)
Supplementing a lack of progesterone is not something that should be left in the hands of the over the counter companies that want to increase their sales of their OTC creams. The medical community, including doctors like Dr. Lee and his colleagues, needs to stress the importance of monitoring the process of supplementation with blood tests every 6 months---a process leading to correctly prescribed amounts of natural progesterone that will truly help a patient in need of professional care!
Unfortunately, this type of medical care is slow in coming in the United States, but it is very popular n Great Britain and Europe. Perhaps, Dr. Lee's next book will include guidelines and even a list of clinics that provide such excellent medical care. However, this book is sorely lacking in any information concerning medically supervised supplementation of natural progesterone in prescribed amounts in its most easily absorbable form: suppositories.
33 comments|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 1998
This eye opening look at the current practice of gynecologists to distribute hormone replacement therapy like candy should be read by any woman experiencing menopause or in perimenopause (usually your 30's). The pharmaceutical companies are making billions from women who trust their doctors to know what's best for them without seeking out the truth of why American women have so much more trouble with menopause then anybody else.
Read this and make up your own mind. I have several friends who have used this therapy, including myself, and we have been delivered from night sweats, migraines, hot flashes, and mood swings.
Note that Dr. Lee has upgraded his recommendation on the TYPE of natural progesterone to use, so find his web site and educate yourself.
Thank you, Dr. Lee.
on October 10, 2001
THIS INFORMATION SAVED MY MOM'S LIFE! My mom was put on Estrogen after menopause, even though she did not have any symptoms of menopause. She was a very thin person all of her life, but abruptly gained 60+ pounds! She developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome that was so bad, she could hardly ever leave her home for years. If she did, she had to return to the bathroom 5-10 times within a couple of hours. She started getting night sweats and told her doctor. They kept raising her dose until she was getting up 5 times a night to change her clothes and blow dry her hair because her sweats were so bad. They raised her Estrogen again, then she became bedridden for several months and hospitalized a couple of times. Finally, she discovered Progesterone cream! She stopped the Estrogen (under advisement of a new doctor) and started the Progesterone. Within 6 weeks, the sweats stopped and her IBS was MUCH improved! She can now go to the grocery store and sleep through the night! She has even lost a lot of the weight! Unfortunately, she was disabled by all of this for many years, before she discovered the source was the Estrogen. The mainstream medical community calls the doctors who prescribe natural Progesterone qwacks, but THEY are the qwacks and they are HURTING people with their synthetic poison!
on October 17, 2001
I am not a child but, I don't have an e-mail address as I'm not on-line at this time however, I felt you needed to know.... I have fibro-cystic breast disease. I was having so much pain and trouble. I couldn't ride in a car but what going over the bumps in the road would cause me to cringe. My children couldn't hug me it hurt so badly. I finally went to a specialist who said "If you're in that much pain, perhaps you might wish to consider a full mastectomy". He said there were so many lumps that they could aspirate the largest ones, however that wouldn't allow us to know for sure if there were any cancerous ones left, I could choose to punch out parts of some of them and have them tested, however if I chose that method, that wouldn't mean that a cancerous place couldn't still exist on the rest of it or, I could have the largest of the lumps removed which would still leave the rest that I had questionable. You can imaging how a suggestion like this could affect a woman of age 42. I still, after all, consider myself a young person.
A friend of mine couldn't sleep one morning around 4:00 am and turned the tv on. It was God answering a prayer for me that she couldn't sleep. She called me that day and told me that a doctor by the name of Lee, had been on tv that morning talking about his book and how it helped so many women from all walks of life with many separate but related problems. I went out and bought "What your doctor may not tell you about menopause" and followed his regime of the wild yam cream, the vitamin e therapy and the magnesium dosages recommended. I told my doctor about the book but he just scoffed. About a month or so into the therapy, I noticed that the pain had somewhat lessened. Two months later, there was hardly any pain at all. I had another doctor appointment and another ultrasound and mammogram. The remaining lumps that I'd had were reduced dramatically in size. It was then that the doctor asked me "What was that book you were telling me about?" And to think, the amount of pain that I was in was making me crazy. I was actually considering a double mastectomy so that I wouldn't hurt anymore.
Take it from me. This man has information that could produce a miraculous transformation within your body. My periods regulated. I stopped feeling so tired and groggy around "that time of the month". My thinking is clearer and there is a great difference in my life. The difference is that I have it back now. I had been having this problem on and off for years! I wasn't a person "going through menopause" and therefore, wouldn't have ordinarilly purchased this book because of the name of it but I consider it to have saved my life as well as having made my way of life nearly 100% improved and would recommend it to anyone having any problems regardless of whether they are menopause related or not.
HALL OF FAMEVINE VOICEon September 20, 2005
I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids seven years ago, and through browsing the internet I found out about Dr. Lee and this book. I took his advice, and I must have indeed been progesterone deficient because using the natural progesterone did clear up the fibroids and repair some other problems I was having. Dr. Lee also has other good pieces of advice that most physicians will not talk about in the realm of nutrition and environmental toxins. Especially eye-opening was his discussion of how non-organic meats and milk are full of estrogen due to modern farming methods. In retrospect, he apparently was also right about Premarin, as in the past three years medical trials showed this drug to be so harmful that the test was in fact halted due to its initial findings. Prior to that it was being passed out like candy by physicians to practically all menopausal women. However, I do have an aunt who has been on it for over twenty years, closely monitored, and her quality of life is probably higher because of it. This is because for her, specifically, the drug works without side effects. As for me, as I passed through menopause and continued to take progesterone, it began to cause problems for me. My blood pressure went up, I was constantly hyper, I had palpatations, and my blood sugar went up and down like a roller coaster. I took a saliva test for my hormones, and my progesterone was off the charts. The nutritionist I was working with said to stop the progesterone immediately. She also told me that although natural progesterone is a godsend to many women, there are some, like me, that are very sensitive to the cortisol related to progesterone and have the woes I described. Within three months of quitting the progesterone, everything returned to normal with the exception of my thyroid, which still requires supplementation to this day, three years later. I guess the moral to this story is that there is always something out there - whether it be a pharmaceutical or a natural product- that helps some people. Progesterone is one of those natural products, but please monitor yourself with regular hormonal saliva tests to insure that you personally are in balance. It's just too bad that proponents of natural cures and traditional physicians have to look at each other as enemies and not realize that both have something to add to the quality of life.
on June 12, 2000
Women over the age of 35 all need to read this book. Fortunately, the MD who wrote it keeps the technical language simple. Dr. Lee is not a slave to any drug company, and his personal research covers a long period of time. He is very frank about what further research does need to occur... reading this is like talking to a really good, honest doctor.
Sleep disruption, depression, irritability, lack of energy, swelling breasts, and other symptoms may actually be the result of an easily-remedied hormone imbalance. Many do not know that natural hormones, in proper dosage, have no harmful side effects, and thought that prescription HRT (hormone replacement therapy), with its many known risks and side effects, was the only way to combat the ageing process in women. Dr. Lee shows that ALL women can benefit from a very simple natural hormone supplement.
Do not be deterred by the title. Pre-menopausal women need the data in this book.
An excellent explanation of the monthly hormonal cycle is in this book.
on September 14, 2000
The book is fantastic, it has changed my life and my body. I actually met Dr. Lee last month and got to chat with him. He is brilliant and cares very deeply about the work he does on behalf of all women. It is an absolute must read book for women of all ages. Not only that, but you must follow his advice. You will not believe the greater quality of life that will result. A life without pain, moodiness, bloating, and all of the other monthly signs of being a woman. There are many other long term benefits in addition to this. Read this book not just for yourself but for your mother, daughter, niece, husband and anyone else you know and love.