Published on April 30, 2008 by Susan K. Schoonover

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not to happy with it
I'm not to happy with it. I thought if would give more precise info on items the kids needed to know, but it is more general. will be selling it or swapping it.
Published 5 months ago by rebecca esparza

4.0 out of 5 stars You Need This Book If Your Child Is A Fifth Grader In a Core Knowledge School, April 30, 2008
This review is from: What Your Fifth Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Fifth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series) (Paperback)
I'm a big proponent of Core Knowledge schools since an organized curriculum that sequentially goes from grade to grade is sorely lacking in many public schools today. Too many elementary classrooms are guided simply by what a given teacher is interested in and there is often no consistency even within grade levels in a single school. Core Knowledge maps out a curriculum of what students should be taught during each elementary grade so they have the skills and knowledge educated people commonly possess. The What Your____________ Grader Needs To Know book series by E.D. Hirsch Jr. is the general outline for what is taught in each grade in Core Knowledge. The fifth grade book is very readable for a student of that age but also interesting enough for the parent to be genuinely engaged with the material. Poems and other samples from literature are included along with the math, science, social studies, art and language sections. This can be a useful supplemental book to a child following any curriculum but every parent whose child is in a core knowledge school will want to have access to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun with many uses!, April 14, 2009
Our child is going into the 6th grade (we have the 6th grade book as well.)I always hear: "I already learned that in 5th grade..." BUT we play a game of "knowitall" by gleening questions from the 5th grade book. We have a fun time around the table learning that we don't "knowitall" from 5th grade. It shows learning is ongoing. Great books!

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT EDUCATIONAL RESOURCE, December 11, 2010
I homeschool both my grandchildren and have every book in this series from first grade through fifth. The books all meet the state's educational guidelines and requirements, and supplementing them with several course-specific workbooks (i.e., specialized math, handwriting, etc.), provides an interesting and comprehensive experience. I recommend all of these very highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for parents that homeschool, May 20, 2009
I ordered this product on a suggestion from a friend. To say the least I am very happy that I did. Great resource for homeschooling parents or just to supplement public education.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Your Fifth Grader Needs to Know, Revised Edition: Fundamentals of a Good Fifth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series), June 7, 2007
I found this book to be very informative not only for young students, but also as a refresher for adults. As a future instructor, I find this book helpful not only for information, but also for "short and interesting" presentational information. It is short and to the point. I recommend the series (all grades) to everyone involved with students regardless of age. I have obtained four of the series for the age groups that I am working with currently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for homeschooling families too!, July 22, 2011
If you homeschool your children (and even if you don't!) this book and the rest of the series are invaluable. I would not use it as a complete curriculum but it does give a terrific spine of learning for each year.

5.0 out of 5 stars What your ... needs to know review, December 27, 2008
I've purchased our very first "What your Kindergartner needs to know" before our firstborn was five. Ever since then we had a copy for each grade of our three children. Nowadays, with limited communications, international schools not using enough books, I would feel very much left out if I didn't have my trusted copy. Parents, please be aware that you may have to supplement at home. Don't entrust your children completely to the school but be involved. It's easy enough to read the pages to the children or have the older ones read it for themselves (with guidance and feedback). A must have for every child's home!

5.0 out of 5 stars the Social Studies part is great, February 27, 2008
I learned about this book from the reference list in Beestar Social Studies program ([...] Due to the vast differences among schools and teachers in teaching Social Studies, students often received a rather unbalanced treatment of the subject. This book comes as a rescue of the situation. It tells you clearly what your child should know as a fifth grader. My child picked up several important chapters from this book that somehow were never taught by his teacher. And yes the knowledge has been very useful in state tests. I'm very glad that we had this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overview, at times boring, October 17, 2013
I wish there is more math. That said, it focus more on English and History. I would have liked more SAM focus, Science, Arts, Math. STEAM (Science, Technology, engineering, Arts, Math is for little later).

Overall a good book to have but it has its weakness.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have addition, September 24, 2013
While this is not to be used as a full curriculum or should it be considered "everything you have to teach your child this year". It is an excellent tool for either home schooling or extra learning for a traditionally schooled child. The lessons are brief and to the point. It is set up to be discussed with or read with your child but you can also assign your child to read a few lessons/pages himself. It covers everything from poetry to various history and geography, to art and music, math and science. All in short "lessons" that can be read or discussed in few minutes.
As a new homeschool family I use this for a basis to create units and spelling words. I also assign my 5th grader passages to read out loud to me while I am making lunch or putting away laundry.

$18.00 $15.04