Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS

on December 14, 2003
I bought this book because my sex life wasn't fulfilling -- I was frustrated and trying to figure out what might have been physical vs. my own inner state vs. issues with my boyfriend.
I think this book covers a lot of ground, but from a "technical" perspective rather than the psychological one I was particularly interested in. To me the material seemed basic -- I've grown up with fairly comprehensive sex education (at least about the mechanics & health of it all) and live amongst people where sex isn't taboo. A lot of the information gets covered in other sources, like magazines (for sex-technique tips), good internet sources on sexual health, etc.
But if you've never been exposed to this information before, this is a very comprehensive and solid book. I think it would be a good read for a teenage girl. The frank discussion about techniques to improve your sex life might seem a bit over-the-top for a 16 year old, but womens' magazines and the Kama Sutra discuss this stuff too. Seems to me that women are going to encounter sex sooner or later, and in this book it's being discussed in its entirety: the sex tips are alongside anatomical information, health & safety, emotional maturity in sex, etc. The book communicates that sex is positive but requires maturity and responsibility.
The one thing that made me feel a bit disconnected from it was that it seems to be written to people who have been conditioned to think that sex is bad, dirty, or whatever. I didn't have that, so it was frustrating that the author assumed my issues stemmed from being told by the church or whatever that sex is bad.
0Comment21 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2002
As an HIV/AIDS/STD and Sexual Wellness educator, I am constantly surprised by how little women know about their bodies and how they work. I've met grown women who think the vulva is a compact Volvo and that semen is Navy personnel. Dr. Hutcherson's book is fantastic! She gives factual and insightful information in plain English that's accompanied by great illustrations. A woman's sexual health and gratification is her responsibility, not her partner's. If a woman is uncomfortable exploring her own body to discover what pleases herself, how can she expect her partner to? Far to often I hear women complaining that their partners don't satisfy them sexually and I always ask them, "do you satisfy yourself sexually." The response is usually that it's his/her responsibility to please them or that they NEVER, EVER touch themselves. I tell them to quit complaining because if they don't know how to please themselves, why or how can someone else. This book should be read by women and men, both young and old, because far too many people are having sex but not talking about it which results in sexual dissatisfaction, unplanned pregnancies, STDs, and wasted energy. A great addition to the family library.
0Comment43 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2002
...
I find Dr. Hutcherson's book to be groundbreaking. Not only does she cover what your mother never told you, but she addresses and answers those questions about sex and male and female sexual funcioning that our mother's had to cause to think about. Times have changed and this book needed to be written.
Not only is the content in the book comprehensive, but Dr. Hutcherson writes in a familiar tone, not that of a physician to a patient, but of a woman to a woman, or a man (I see this book being read by both sexes).
As a sex therapist I found her book informative and gave the book for Mother's Day Gifts. This book is cutting edge; her chapters from anatomy to chapters on delicacies are educational, and can be used as a practical handbook for everyone. This book is 5 stars! It enhances lives and is a "must read" for women and couples everywhere.
0Comment67 of 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2002
This book is a must read for women, and men who want to be well informed about women. I am a 32 y/o woman and learned all sorts of new fun and interesting information from this book about sex and my body. I have also highly recommended it to friends with daughters because I wish my Mom would have had this tool. There is a chapter dedicated to talking to girls about sex.
I look forward to additional books by Dr. Hutcherson.
on April 22, 2002
I highly recommend this book for any woman who desires empowerment via self-knowledge, understanding and celebration.

Dr. Hutcherson shares with the reader subject matter which could conceivably make the sexually insecure squeamish, yet she does so with such a reassuring and highly professional voice, that only the most highly repressed could find any cause for discomfort. In just reading the section on the female anatomy, I have learned basics that had eluded me throughout what I thought had been a complete and thorough lifetime of learning.

I also recommend the book to any man who is interested in better understanding his female partner. I can picture sensitive young college men flocking to this one, because it holds no myth, only fact, and includes ideas for both exploration and learning.

What Your Mother Never Told You About S-E-X, is a most excellent, thorough and practical primer for sexual heath, safety and enjoyment. Hooray for Dr. Hutcherson! It is about time a book like this was written.
0Comment72 of 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2005
Neither my mother nor my father mentioned things in this book. I have learned a lot along the way, but nothing like reading a well conceived text to enhance one's knowledge. It is well done.

I am dating a lovely woman from a relatively conservative culture. I purchased this book to help me understand how to communicate what can be delicate and intimate topics for people in a relationship especially when articulating sexual topics, technique, anatomy, and new experiences - that might not be easily accomplished. The book has given me some excellent background knowledge and view points that will help me to communicate and give more to my girlfriend. I have found it useful and when my girlfriend reads it I am certain it will be very helpful for her understanding and communicating about sex, bodies, approaches and desires. I appreciate a book such as this.
on December 17, 2002
Anyone who assumes that this book is only for women is wrong!!! Most men--including myself--know precious little about women's bodies and the subtleties of giving them sexual pleasure. What I learned from Dr. Hutcherson's book is that like good parenting, good sex is not something that we are born knowing how to do; they both take require care, tenderness, listening, sharing, and a willingness to learn.
I would strongly urge women to give this book to their male sexual partners.
on May 11, 2002
As the daughter of a mother who told me nothing about sex, I found this book to be very informative and insightful. I am not young but I learned things about myself I wish I had learned as a teenager. I highly recomend this book to all women, with and without children, who want to learn to appreciate their bodies and learn to have a better relationship with their significant other. This book should also be read by men who want to understand why women feel they way they do.
0Comment42 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2005
What a wonderful book, and a wonderful author! She truly wants women to enjoy themselves and their sex lives, and to be more informed about their bodies. The frankness of her tone is comfortable rather than shocking; I think she speaks about sex in a way that many women wish they could, without shame or embarassment. She wants us to be confident and comfortable within our own bodies, and I think that is a very commendable mission. As soon as I am done reading it (I'm almost at the end) I'm going to pass it on to my boyfriend. I think men and women could learn a thing or two from it.

High praise to Dr. Hutcherson for saying that her methods and information are just as pertinent for lesbian couples as they are for heterosexual couples, and for older couples, and what have you. Women should love themselves, whatever their age and/or sexual orientation. She is completely non-judgemental. I love it. This book is definitely a permanent part of my library.
on June 23, 2002
Having been married almost 25 years, I thought it might be a learning tool to spice up our lovemaking. I was right! You will learn more about your anatomy and techniques, with some interesting sex toy action thrown in. The writing is clear, concise and not presently in a medical fashion. It reads quickly as well.
0Comment19 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse