5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent study aid for grown-ups too...
Published on June 11, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars good source, but only a start if studying for the MSAT
If someone recommended this book to study for the MSAT, maybe they didn't take that test. The book is really easy to understand and gives you a lot of information, but at the time to take the MSAT, I think it is not enough. Get a study aid or two, because that test is very hard. The book is great but for a memory activator and not as the only source.
Published on September 24, 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent study aid for grown-ups too..., June 11, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: What Your Sixth Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Sixth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series) (Paperback)
This book was an excellent resource for me as I was studying for the MSAT (teachers will know what that is). I highly recommend this book for aiding in the preparation for any general knowledge test. It takes you all the way through iambic pentameter to Benito Juarez. The math and science sections are wonderful as well. It provides very complex information in a very user-friendly manner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great guide for parents, June 30, 2001
Kortney Smith (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
In preparing my son for sixth grade, I needed to have a basis for what he may be learning. This book gives an overall picture of what I need to concentrate on. Many books I found emphasized only math or reading. This book breaks down each topic (Social Studies, Language Arts, Fine Arts, Math, Natural Science) into chapters and makes it easy for me to follow. I liked the exerpts of classic books such as "The Diary of Anne Frank", and classic poems so that I can expose my son to many different things without overwhelming him over the summer. This is more of a guide for parents and teachers than it is a simple text for kids so parents really need to be involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Essential!, November 10, 2002
This book has completely educated me on what my eleven-year old son needs to know for his 6th year. I have read the book and can say that if everyone in the country knew everything in this book we would all be better off. As a matter of fact, I know very few adults that know one quarter of what is in this book. This has motivated me to add this to my son's daily routine. We work it together and have wonderful mom-son time alone. A book you can't do without!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellant, March 29, 2000
By A Customer
I've recently started homeschooling my son and we are using this book for Language Arts, Science, Geography, and History. The information is well written and well organized and seems to appeal to this 11 year old. I am finding it difficult though to create the required lesson plans, discussion questions, and tests from the material provided.

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational but lot's of fun! Parent and kid approved!!, November 30, 1997
By A Customer
What Your Sixth Grader needs to know is one of the books I've ever read. Education made easy is a better way to put it. It's devided into a couple sections. 1. Poetry and English 2.Mathematics. 3.Social Studies. 4.Life science and other sections. It's helped me achieve a lot. I'm proud I bought that book and look forward to completing it. I have learned poems, Social Studies, Science etc. I reccommend this to everyone- a struggling or advanced student. Fun is the key word. Parent and kid approved!

5.0 out of 5 stars Independent Studyer's Best Friend, August 6, 2001
By A Customer
I purchased this book because I wanted something to aid my daughter before she started sixth grade. This book was just what she needed. It is really easy to understand and offers project and book suggestions. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a sixth grade study aid.

3.0 out of 5 stars good source, but only a start if studying for the MSAT, September 24, 2000
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Very worthwhile enhancement of your students education., November 29, 1998
By A Customer
As in the previous five books, Mr. Hirsch has gathered a worthwhile collection of readings and information that will broaden the base of knowledge of your student well beyond his grade school education. The subjects covered are written about in an age appropriate manner and will give the reader (both student and adult) a new appreciation for the interdependency of our daily lives and our cultural history with regard to the way we think, speak and write. In an age when many of the readings available to young people can be less challenging as well as less satisfying than in previous times, this compilation presents a much needed resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great basic for adding to your child's education at home, September 5, 2005
I found this book and all of the Core Knowledge Series books to be very helpful. They allow parents to see what their child should be getting in each grade and add to the classroom education at home if needed. These books are full of common sense! My daughter has been in public elementary school as well as a private Episcopal Day School and the books are helpful in both circumstances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource..., July 16, 2007
I really enjoyed this book. This is a must for parents and teachers of a 6th grader (the grade level really does not matter). Categories covered are Language Arts, Geography/World & American Civilization, Fine Arts, Math, and Natural Sciences. What an excellent resource with key fundamentals in one book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›