Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 22, 2010 11:20:45 AM PST
j. j. molloy says:
Shame on you, Jeff Bezos. A first edition of a book that was published in serial form in the Egoist, in 1914-15, and published in book form in 1916-? Don't make me laugh.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2010 5:35:31 AM PST
Agreed JJ. This is a cheap ploy!

Posted on Jan 29, 2010 4:16:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2010 4:18:50 AM PST
I guess there is a difference between 1st Ed. and 1st run. This is obviously not a first run. Still, the fact that was published in the Egoist may count as a first Ed, so this will count as a new run of the second edition.

There is no denying they are trying to sell more books using technicalities to present this as a "collectors item". But hey, at least it's James Joyce.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2010 12:44:18 PM PST
j. j. molloy says:
Isaias,

There is a difference between a first edition and a first run (usually called a first printing); but this could hardly be a zillionth printing of a booth with the history I described above: a second printing, e.g. uses the same plates as the original printing. What Amazon is advertising is a new edition, and although it may be a first printing of that edition, it still doesn't make it a 1st edn. Why they didn't simply say it was a new edition escapes me.

Posted on Jan 29, 2010 12:45:14 PM PST
j. j. molloy says:
First printing of a BOOK, I meant!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Jan 22, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 29, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man
A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man by James Joyce (Audio Cassette - September 1, 1999)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (374)