Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2010 11:14:48 AM PST
I purchased the first version of Avatar this past spring and had to get a firmware update just so it would work on my Blu Ray player. Even now however after about 15 minutes the picture starts to mess up and I have to stop and start the movie to refresh it I guess.
Does the new release of this movie present the same technical issues??

Posted on Nov 24, 2010 5:15:35 PM PST
DeAd MiKe says:
I have similar issues with my LG player. They need to hurry up and sort this out already...

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 5:01:34 AM PST
D. Lewis says:
Yes many people will have to update their player's firmware because Fox hates consumers and really wants them to only purchase pirated movies. It took me 45 mins to update my player's firmware (and I know what I'm doing) so I had some time to look up to see when the hack to defeat the new security was available. Depending on which software people use it was either the day before the release or the day of the release. All this does is raise the question of why they even bother with the security.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2010 5:53:19 AM PST
DeAd MiKe says:
Hah! I know. I got an e-mail from Slysoft the day after 'Avatar' came out saying that the new version beat the security. So, the way I gather it is... All this new security stops pirates... for 1 day - and the paying customers have to deal with slow load times (forever?) and playback issues (sometimes for months). Good going, Blu-ray manufacturers.

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 6:30:53 AM PST
Must depend on the Blu-Ray player. I have a Sony and have not experienced firmware issues for Spring or Fall versions of the movie.

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 6:35:49 PM PST
Bob Drake says:
My Pioneer BDP-121 has problems AGAIN with the Na'vi subtitles on Avatar Extended disc 1 (the multi-region film disc). However it plays the region A discs 2 and 3 OK. It had problems with the same Avatar Na'vi subtitles in April, but a firmware update fixed it then. (Previously it could not play Snow White without an update.) My Momitsu BDP-799, set for region B, played disc 1 flawlessly, and with much quicker load times than the Pioneer. (The Momitsu has NEVER needed a firmware update.)

Posted on Dec 18, 2010 2:11:41 PM PST
Pamela Babb says:
I haven't able to get the Avatar Extended Edition Bluray to play in my Samsung Bluray Player. I updated to the latest version of firmware and still nothing. Not happy.

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 10:57:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2011 11:01:33 AM PST
Dre says:
Yes I just tested Disc 2 of the Collector's Edition and can confirm that you all now need YET ANOTHER firmware update to your player. After 10 minutes of playback of this disc, I see strategically-implemented rectangular strips of multicolor artifacts, each spanning 10% of the screen, popping in and out of the video a few times per second. This is called "copy guard" and is used when you playback the image via VCR.

Of course, we're not using a VCR... but we still see these artifacts, and it's just with the collector's edition!

DO NOT clean the blu-ray disc, because it doesn't need to be cleaned. You have two other options:
[1] update the firmware, or
[2] eject and re-insert the disc every 10 minutes.

Of course my problem is a little more complicated, because for whatever reason, my blu-ray player will not even recognize when a USB stick is plugged into the back of the player. I've tried 4 different combinations and capacities, and nothing works, but I am absolutely sure that I loaded the new firmware correctly onto my USB stick...it's the same stick I used (in a straightforward and successful manner) a few months earlier. I might need to have a firmware DVD mailed to me. In the meantime, do you folks know of a workaround for "USB not recognized in a blu-ray player when it's really in there and I know what I'm doing" issue?

^^ EDIT / UPDATE: Apparently [1] formatting the USB stick to FAT, and [2] unplugging the blu-ray player and waiting 10 minutes before plugging it back in seemed to work. USB stick is recognized... let me know if any of this works for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2011 3:43:28 PM PST
My friend had to use an ethernet cable to his computer to get his player to update.

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 3:45:53 PM PST
If any producer/manufacturer of Avatar is reading this, the reason I have deliberately ommitted purchasing the new edition of your movie is because of the firmware issues with the first. Loosen up your restrictions and I'll consider actually parting with my hard-earned money for this new edition. Keep everything way-too tight and I will not consider purchasing this new Avatar.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2011 8:40:18 PM PST
Bob Drake says:
My Momitsu BDP-799 has never been updated, and has firmware dating from 2009 yet it plays all the Avatar discs. The problem is with manufacturers, some of which wait until a problem BD appears before they add whatever code is necessary to comply. They are lazy. Pioneer has had a "Snow White" update and an "Avatar" update (April, 2010). Don't blame the studios. The BD boxes carry warnings about the general necessity to update firmware.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2011 4:37:15 PM PST
The studios need to make their titles compatable with existing players. Not everyone has the tech savvy to keep reprogramming their electronics all the time.

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 2:44:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2011 2:48:15 PM PST
None says:
Pretty good security there for all the paying idiots. At least smart pirates who know better than to actually PAY for the movie will be able to watch this without all the hassle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2011 1:59:40 PM PST
You said it, Bro!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions