Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2008 10:53:54 AM PST
N. Hartzog says:
I got a sample from Kindle and like the text I read but I am wondering about how the photos in the book show up on the Kindle? Obviously color is not available and the clarity of what I could see on the Kindle was not good. I would like the convenience of buying on Kindle but feel I would probably be missing a lot. Is this published in paper? Could not find paper version listed on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2008 5:28:50 PM PST
Fil Hunter says:
I wish somebody who's seen both Kindle and print editions would comment on this.

I don't see the lack of color as any big handicap. The older B&W editions of L-S&M actually showed most of the principles better. Color is more fun, though, and helps keep you alert if you find L-S&M's fairly technical style to be dry.

The big question is whether the Kindle translation from color to B&W allows you to see the subtleties that the old B&W print editions did. Opinions, anyone?

For what it's worth, L-S&M was the Focal Press best-selling Kindle edition last year.

Posted on Feb 28, 2009 2:15:59 PM PST
brecklundin says:
Fil,

We have both editions, dead-tree & Kindle. Until about 20-mins ago, we also had the Amazon Upgrade Edition but that was just too hard to read the text. This AM we went ahead and bought the Kindle version for our Kindle 1 device. There is the obvious issue with photographs and having only a 4-grey scale display system. But, from the sections I have looked at, it does not detract from the book really. Sure color is very important and one needs to really look at the illustrations, but there is enough discussion of the images and illustrations to get past the short coming of a grey-scale device.

I would imagine that the new Kindle 2 with a 16-grey scale display system will do a much better job rendering photos and illustrations, as would any other eink based reading device with a 16-level grey-scale display system.

I do not feel we wasted the money buying the dead-tree and Kindle versions. Now we can both be reading the book. Plus the Kindle edition lets us have the book on hand if in the mood to read it at that microsecond. And the ability to search the book as well as make "margin notes" and look-up concepts via the Wikipedia instantly free of charge are great. To be honest until this book I never really used those features. Now after only a few hours I can see I will be using them constantly. Now, if they could only find a way to take the notes I wrote in the margins of the dead-tree copy the wouold would be perfect. hehehe... ;)

Posted on Feb 28, 2009 7:46:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2009 7:47:48 PM PST
Fil Hunter says:
Thanks, grumpy3b,

I completely support your desire to stop killing trees, and I think we'll accomplish a lot of that in the near future. (If every family had planted two trees thirty years ago, we might have no global warming today. Many people lived in places where they had no place to plant trees, but others lived in places where they could plant many more. It could have worked, and we knew about it, but we didn't do it. Now, I think we'll do it, however late.)

Still, as an artist, I think 4 or 16 shades of gray are not enough. You need 256, no more, no less. Some of this can be overcome by "dithering" together pixels of slightly different grays to simulate a gray that the device can't actually produce. If you are happy with your Kindle device, that's probably what the publishers are doing.

I'm glad you're enjoying your Kindle, and here's hoping for a 256 gray, $100 version in the foreseeable future, with big upgrade discounts for people with the wisdom to field-test the original version!

Posted on Feb 28, 2009 10:15:36 PM PST
brecklundin says:
Glad to help...and yeah anything we can do to make the world nicer, we should at least try. ;)

I completely agree that the 16-grey scale is not near enough for decent color gradient representation. I remember when we were using paper white VGA monitors way back when. I loved them, but they had at least 256k range and I still missed color. And really, I'm not a huge Kindle fan, I have one and we do use it a lot. I just feel Amazon can do better. But that's a whole topic in itself. ;) Anyway, happy to pass along that your book looks OK on the K1 and will probably look a bit better on the K2.

Keep any eye out for news from CeBIT this week. Hopefully the Pixel Qi epaper displays will hit the market and give some very cheap and very "green" full color options for reading devices. These displays are very interesting. Maybe we might even see a Kindle version making use of them? ;) And the $100 price would sure be a nice change!!

Posted on Mar 9, 2009 5:43:10 PM PDT
Next you'll be saying the the Ansel Adams portfolio book that you downloaded to your Kindle matches the quality of a lithograph. Anything to minimize the faults of the device, or should I say the deviation from it's intended purpose of displaying text not photographs. I'll get one when I can read a color management book on it and see the differences in color spaces. And you bought both anyway, so how many trees did you save?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2009 8:02:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2009 8:08:36 PM PDT
Fil Hunter says:
Well, grunpy3b at least saved the pulp that went into one copy of the book.

I agree with what you say, and I don't want a Kindle either, but early adopters like grumpy3b, who figure out how to make good use of new technology, are helpful to all of us in the long run. My first computer had monochrome video (2 shades of gray: black and white), a 5-inch monitor, 64KB RAM, and two 90KB floppy drives, all for about same number of absolute dollars of today's most powerful general-purpose PCs. But using word processing software freed my thinking enough to allow me to write my part of the first edition of L-S&M. I'm glad I bought the computer.

Posted on Apr 16, 2009 6:32:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 16, 2009 6:57:29 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2010 7:54:01 PM PDT
I have a hard time with pictures if they are charts or tables. You can not enlarge them and you have to find a magnifying glass to try to read them.

Posted on Aug 7, 2010 3:45:00 PM PDT
As I've said in various places, I wish I'd had Kindle-like devices years ago before I filled my house with paper books. I don't intend to buy any such device now, especially since I live across the street from a decent public library.

Still, the newer versions of the Kindle produce what seem to be impossible reproduction, given the number of grays available on the device. I suspect that comes from very sophisticated dithering to simulate grays that the device cannot actually reproduce.

So keep trudging on, brave pioneers. You may sometimes be disappointed with the reproduction of pictures on the device you have bought, but you will be happy with most text, which means most books. And the money you spend will (1) provide the developers the r&d cash to make better devices and (2) mean that you will not have a house filled with dead tree books forty years from now.

I only hope that we develop backward compatibility standards, so that the book you buy for the 2008 Kindle will still be readable on the 2058 iPad.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2010 5:47:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2010 5:48:16 PM PDT
Pamela says:
I have Kindle 4PC so any pictures that I cannot see in my Kindle version I see quite well on K4PC. Looking forward to your next edition as I intend to purchase the paper and Kindle copies again. This new technology just means more income to authors, their agents and publishers. For someone who loves photography but is too ill to go out anymore, and can't hold heavy books anymore either, it's a real boon. I'm so grateful to Amazon. I found your book thru them - both versions.

If it's readable on the 2058 iPad it will be for me as well. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2010 4:08:17 PM PDT
I'm very glad to hear the news about the Kindle4PC and more sorry to hear about your illness. I just hope you have a solid tripod so that you can hold a camera more easily than you can hold a book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2010 7:40:20 AM PDT
Pamela says:
I appreciate that, thank you. I have an excellent tripod, thanks - a Gitzo that I shopped for very carefully. I didn't know at the time why I was wobbly and weak, but buying good and steady, only three leg sections rather than four, saved me in the long run. I'm having some better days and am going to find a way to get back out again. I know I can do it from my car so I just need a good bean or other type of lens support for my window. As for the walking part I am going to find a way to transport my gear - perhaps a rolling camera pack. Either way I'll find a way to accomplish it. Thanks for posting and thanks for your lovely book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2010 3:18:50 PM PDT
brecklundin says:
Kathleen...you should now be able to zoom in on any graphic in a book thanks the the new firmware (for all I know it was in the older firmware as well and I just never knew...d'oh!!??) but simply move the cursor to the graphic where it will change to, as I recall, a "+" symbol and press the joystick control inward and that should expland the graphic, hopefully enough to read. I agree it's a big weakness in the 6' book reading devices today. Of course the 10" readers are better BUT remember an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper would need a 14" diagonal panel to show the full page in full size. so, for me I think I can be OK with an 11" - 12" panel though I would be all over a 14" device. And they are coming, eventually. In the mean time the 10" (well, 9.7" is the upper end these days whether it's a Kindle DX (or DXG) or an iPad or other "large format" reader that we will have to live with. And until the flexible plastic based substrate panels which can be rolled up are released into the wild in about a year, large format devices will be a compromise in portability for many people. I am willing to pay that price though in order to get a larger panel now.

Seems we are always sensing like things are a generation or two away from what is really needed to get the job done as we would like.

BTW, like Fil, my first computer was one of those with a built in 9" CRT display and weighed in at about 23lbs and was considered "portable"...since then I have never complained about weight on a laptop or other device...hehehe....but I would have killed to have real workdprocessing software when i was in college. I simply made so many mistakes while typing I spent more time thinking about the typing I could not focus on papers I was writing, plus typewriters did not handle papers on matematics so well... ;)

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 1:33:58 PM PST
Can someone please show me how to put photos on my kindle, Ive tried everything

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 5:36:03 PM PST
Fritz Kay says:
I will buy a Kindle when I can do a New York Times Crossword on it. Is that time coming soon? Black

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 3:22:27 PM PDT
Pamela says:
Tiffany - go to this forum, and ask there. I know it can be done and there are specific instructions. Ask your question there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-forum/kindle?ie=UTF8&cdPage=1&newContentID=TxY9S3WDUNXYYI#CustomerDiscussions

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 3:30:46 PM PDT
Pamela says:
I do them all the time. I think that time is now.

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 8:42:54 AM PST
I can't get the photos or illustrations in any of the books I have downloaded to my Kindle Keyboard. What am I missing? What do I do to see the maps, photos, etc. that the book contains?

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 2:23:55 AM PST
moi1953 says:
Perhaps publishers could put images onto Amazon's kindle pages. Then, when we buy a book, we can download images to a device that can show them. There is little point in buying a biography and not getting photos!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 10:08:32 PM PST
Susan Kivett says:
I agree. What is the deal, and how can it be fixed?

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 10:09:23 PM PST
Susan Kivett says:
Or, is there a setting I'm missing?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting by Fil Hunter (Paperback - February 26, 1997)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (202)