Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL
Customer Discussions > Christy - The Complete Series forum

What about the last episode??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 52 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 5, 2007 8:01:48 AM PDT
Miss Lizzy says:
Maybe I'm confused after having read the book five times, but wasn't there a final episode where Christy gets really sick and Doc McNeil nurses and prays over her and she wakes up and realizes her love for him? Am I just imagining things, or did the final episode in the TV series leave you with more of a conclusion than it does on the DVDs???

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2007 4:29:45 PM PDT
I loved the book and that was the perfect ending. In the final episode on TV, Christy was left with the preacher holding out a ring and proposing to her and DocMcNeil riding into the scene. The credits rolled and the series was canceled without the question ever being answered. That's what I remember anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2007 2:20:04 AM PDT
Hi Miss Lizzy
You are not going crazy or imagining are Right, there was another episode. I was wondering the same thing, But I can't remember the title. I have been trying to google the answer......... but nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2007 5:23:42 PM PDT
KW says:
I was wondering that also. Please, if you find out anything, share it with us!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2007 6:07:38 PM PDT
Christina B says:
I think the scene you're describing is from the Christy movie, A New Beginning. It's one of the sequel movies which came out several years after the show was canceled.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2007 5:11:55 PM PDT
Hi There, :-)
So are you saying that after the 19th episode (the one with david giving her the ring and all) is called "a new beginning?" Is it the same actors and what not? Or different?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2007 8:24:09 AM PDT
Sandy says:
There was a 20th episode and I want to see it with the original cast. The sequel movie was less than satisfying both in cast and writing. Pitiful, really, after such a marvelous production. I hope they will post a download of the original final episode. I'd gladly pay to have it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2007 12:56:03 PM PDT
I totally agree with you Sandy. I remember the same things,and would also pay to have it .Please!!! someone find some info about it!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007 11:50:59 AM PST
No... I do remember this other episode as well. In this episode, most of cutter gap comes down with smallpox, christy and the doctor care for the people at the mission and christy becomes sick herself and the doctor prays over her etc... It was much more dramatic the the 3 DVD movie series with the new actors... This was episode 20 with all the original cast. It aired on TV... I don't know why it is not in the set?? I don't beleive it actually showed christy and the doctor getting married however. I have yet to find it anywher however??

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2008 1:05:49 PM PST
PinkGnome says:
Hey guys. This is what I found. There is an episode missing. Strange.
20. The Road Home
First aired: 8/2/1995 Production Code: 2014
Margaret returns to the cove and Christy is torn between her feelings for David and Neil.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2008 6:02:26 PM PDT
TxDivaRose says:
I know it's been a while since anyone has posted on this discussion, but I just finished watching the series on DVD. I too was a HUGE fan of the show and loved the romantic spark between Dr. McNeil and Christy. The last episode I had was called the Road Home, but it was not the episode in which she got sick. I know it had the original cast too. I've got the TV movies on my list, but after seeing some of the reviews I might hold off.

It seems to me that perhaps it was a special or something?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2008 8:14:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2008 8:17:31 PM PDT
Comgirl says:
I just finished watching the series on DVD with my young daughters and was really disappointed that the ending left them hanging. I remember that they made an additional episode (or perhaps it was movie length) soon after the series was cancelled to tie up the loose ends for the fans. I am pretty sure that this episode/movie had the original characters. This episode is different from "The Road Home," which is actually included in the DVD "Christy: The Complete Series." "The Road Home" is the episode that ends with Christy looking back and forth between David (and his ring) and Neil. At the end of the episode that I am recalling, Christy marries Neil. I had mixed reactions to this since the "real Christy" married the preacher... but still, I was very disappointed that something marketed as "The Complete Series" did not include the episode/movie that I remembered.... If anyone has any more information on this, please let us all know :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2008 7:11:54 AM PDT
Miss Lizzy says:
The "real" Christy marries Neil, not the preacher. Or at least that is what is insinuated from the book - I dont think it ever comes right out and says it, but it ends with her waking from her sickness and clasping the hand of her doctor.

"...I felt across the counterpane until my hand reached his, the big hand with the blond-red hairs on top. My fingers closed over his hand and gripped it. His head came up.
The joy of the children was in his voice."

Great ending - the only way it should end!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2008 10:28:34 AM PDT
Cr8zyC8tL8dy says:
You are thinking of the TV Mini Series "Christy". There is 3 DVD's and it has that exact conclusion. The TV series (which is why I won't buy it) ended w/o resolving anything. The least they could have done was filmed a final episode and included it with the DVD set.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2008 10:31:58 AM PDT
Cr8zyC8tL8dy says:
I agee, in the book she marries Doc.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2008 10:35:27 AM PDT
Cr8zyC8tL8dy says:
That is how I remember it also. If you go to they list all the episodes and the last one is the cliffhanger. There was never anything to resolve the series until the mini-series that was released later.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008 3:09:29 AM PST
Kitty Berean says:
>"Great ending - the only way it should end!!!!!!"

You're correct -- in the *book,* Christy does marry Doc MacNeill -- or at least that is the implication present in the conclusion. But contrary to what most reviewers have stated, the TV movie version changed a number of significant details from the book. Christian viewers previously unfamiliar with the televised movie series should be aware that the movies seem somewhat "Hollywood-ized" and may not be as "family-friendly" as they would prefer. For example:

[SPOILER WARNING]: It is strongly implied in the movie that Miss Alice had engaged in consensual fornication in the conception of her one-and-only daughter; but in the book, it was statutory rape by an older maverick Quaker clergyman. In the book, Neil MacNeill is a widower; but in the TV series, despite Miss Alice telling Christy her daughter had died, followed later by the Doc's own sincere admission that he believes his wife drowned, she reappears in one or two of the later episodes, displaying a lot of dysfunctionality and emotional angst against both her mother and her husband. There is some mild profanity (although infrequent), a scene where the preacher gets buzzed and somewhat loose-lipped after taking some of the Doc's "medicine" (he may not have realized what he was drinking); and a shadowy representation of an early 20th century "strip tease" dance show at a questionable "men only" business establishment. Considering that it is promoted as family fare, there is also a lot of violence (mostly brawling), with kicking, punching, bloodied faces, bullet wounds and the like. While I don't feel they're gratuitous or excessive -- quite mild, in fact, compared to a lot of other things shown on DVD and some video games these days -- it helps for parents and families to know these things in advance, that they might make an informed decision for their younger members.

The most disappointing parts, to me, included the apparent 'dumbing down' of marriage being honored as a *committment*, with the doctor and Christy tentatively but actively exploring and encouraging their developing romantic attraction for one another along with the promotion of the popular "love-is-a-feeling" rhetoric. [SPOILER WARNING]: To her credit, Christy meets with the Doctor's wife and encourages her to return to her family and make one last try at restoring her relationship with them. She takes her advice, and it seems to be going well between herself and the doctor (at least); but then comes the finale episode ending scene with the doc showing up (alone) just after David represents Christy with an engagement ring....*what* happened *there*??? :-\ Although Margaret has probably tried the patience of her mother and husband to the breaking point (by all human standards), Miss Alice seems uncharacteristically quick (for a Quaker, especially) to unconditionally and *completely* write her daughter off (when she shows up at the church, mockingly singing hymns), combined with Neil's ambiguous and sometimes pronounced feelings of hostility and aversion towards her. It just doesn't seem very Christlike given the Scriptural admonitions against adultery, the call for, "Husbands, love your wives..." and for Christians not to allow themeselves to become "unequally yoked" (II Corinthians 6:14-18). As things were, from a biblical Christian standpoint the doctor and Christy had no moral right to pursue a relationship as long as the doctor's estranged wife was still living (I Cor. 7:39).

All of this could have been avoided had the writers and producers stuck to the original story and not brought Margaret back into the picture. It was like they weren't sure where it was going in the beginning and wanted to leave their options open -- but then the story's details don't all fit together. Retrospectively, I feel like they were either just trying to create more subplots to make things more interesting, or to make it more reflective of contemporary social mores. Either way it detracted from the overall story.

One positive exercise of "writer's license" is that the character of David is represented as more mature, heroic and self-sacrificing in the movie than in the book -- to help make Christy's choice between himself and the Doctor more realistic, I'd suppose. Also there are not as many deaths of beloved characters; so in a sense it ends on a more upbeat note. I just don't care for that romantic cliffhanger very much, either. Since it's advertised and promoted as, "The Complete Series," it should tell the whole story.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 3:22:12 PM PST
Misty Berry says:
I remember that episode as well. Why isn't it in the complete series? I am really confused and annoyed. Doe anyone know where I can get a copy of that last episode? It also seems to me that her Friend Fairlight dies in that episode as well. It was really good. Misty Berry

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 3:23:48 PM PST
Misty Berry says:
The episode came out with the series that was on tv and had the original cast in it. That was when I saw it, was when the series was on tv.

Posted on Mar 1, 2009 8:37:18 AM PST
Christy Fan says:
I too am so disappointed with the ending! The complete series ends with episode 19 The Road Home! Does anyone know why the series was cancelled? Does anyone know why the Christy three part movie series was not done in the original location with the original cast? How VERY dissapointing to go from the series which was so well done to the movies which are SO painful to watch I had to shut it off.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2009 9:06:17 PM PDT
I felt exactly the same way! I've read the book and I thought for certain I had seen the episode where Dr. McNeil professes his love for Christy and she returns it to him after having been so ill. The whole series is just not complete without this ending!

Posted on Jun 23, 2009 6:37:47 AM PDT
Joyful says:
If I could write an ending, I would have Doc reunited with his wife. I would show a heartfelt scene of forgiveness between Mother and Daughter as the daughter came to grips with the sin in her life and her failure to save herself. As she comes to trust in Jesus Christ and His sacrafice for her sins, she fades off the scene as a result of her tuberculosis. Christy comforts her and remains her friend til the end. The preacher's old flame returns and realizes his love is more important than her failure as an opera star. She uses her beautiful voice in praise and achieves an inner peace the world cannot offer. They are married. Christy, enjoying a quiet evening by the lake, is bitten by a poisonous snake. The Doc has no venom to save her and Alice rides off to the nearest location in search of a remedy. The last scene shows a sorrowful, praying Doc at her side as Alice arrives with the venom to save her. Doc realizes there is power in prayer when one believes in Jesus Christ. The unequal yoke is forever mended. As the mist is lifted, Doc and Christy are united in marriage and are rewarded in their efforts to "Wait upon the Lord."

Posted on Jun 23, 2009 6:49:51 AM PDT
Statureman says:
The book ending is fantastic (and btw, the book doesnt bring the Doc's wife back to life, so that isnt even an issue). I wish they would have just stuck to it. :-P

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2009 8:09:57 AM PDT
You are 100% correct. Unless many people are hallucinating the same thing, that episode exists somewhere! I can't find any information about it, but I would love to get my hands on it.

Spoiler for the non-existent episode...

If I remember correctly, the people of Cutter Gap were all at the Mission during a horrible storm (or some other disaster). Some of the girls were sewing on Christy's wedding veil to calm themselves (implying that she made a decision--I thought it was to marry David). Neil and Christy got stuck in a cabin (not Neil's) where she falls ill and he prays. She comes out of her stupor long enough to hear him pray. I know that it was Kelly Martin, so this has to be from the TV series, not the movies that came later.

I've looked everywhere I can think to look, but can find no information about the episode. :-(

Posted on Mar 27, 2010 11:13:10 AM PDT
Sandy S. says:
We have loved watching the incomplete "complete" series that we just bought in Feb. We've been trying to stretch our viewing out to make the fun last longer. Then last night we were so disappointed to find out they left the ending off!!! We hope it is found and made available!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  38
Total posts:  52
Initial post:  Jun 5, 2007
Latest post:  Sep 30, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about