What is it about this album cover?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 10, 2010 12:56:25 AM PDT
NLee says:
I must say that I absolutely love The Final Frontier album cover. I think it's their best album cover since Somewhere In Time, and best artwork since The Clairvoyant single cover. So I want to know why a lot of Maiden fans hate this album cover so much? Because Derek Riggs didn't make it, doesn't mean that it's bad!
Regards

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 1:55:51 AM PDT
bababooey says:
its growing on me,but,its not eddie in his traditional sense,the scowling skull face,i was very disappointed at first,but we all hate change,i saw them in washington dc on july 20th,they frickking rocked,dont let the age fool ya,these boys have still got it!!definitly buying this cd the day it comes out!!

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 2:49:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2010 2:52:27 PM PDT
Salo says:
Glad you like it, but it is ugly as hell. It doesn't even have Eddie on it!!!!!!
Why do they keep using inferior artists, are they blind??

They seriously needed to either patch things up with Derek Riggs or at least get someone comparable or better.
Then again, Riggs did some horrible work more recently when he tried to do computer art, so he may not be an option either.

Regardless, there are loads of great artists out there. A band of Iron Maiden's stature should not have trouble finding and hiring one. Only thing I can guess is that they just literally can't tell what looks good and what doesn't. Sad.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 4:16:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2010 4:17:24 PM PDT
Monkdude says:
Salo, that is the new "space" or "predator" looking version of Eddie. Yeah bababooey, I was also at the Bristow, VA show on July 20th and it was great. As for the cover, it's okay. At least we didn't get another piece of garbage like Dance of the Death.

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 12:20:15 AM PDT
As a Maiden fan since I was a teen in the middle of the 80's, I like this cover. It sure beats the Dance of Death cover (though I did like Eddie on that cover). And I like it better than the cover for No Prayer For The Dying, or A Real Live One. Though I will admit, I always prefer it when Eddie is done traditionally, Derek Riggs style, I really like this version. And I like the background, the abandoned space ship structure and holes in the ship, the space background, it all kind of makes me think about the ALIEN ship or something. That sort of thing.

There have been other non-traditional looking Maiden covers that are great, Fear Of The Dark comes instantly to mind, as well as Live At Donington. Maiden have done non-traditional covers here and there before. I think this one, The Final Frontier, is one of the better non-traditional covers. I put it up there with some of their better covers. It is not among thee best for me, but for me it is one of the good ones. I can see what they were going for here.

And my wife and I saw Maiden once again, this time in San Bernardino, California on June 19'th along with over 25,000 fellow Maidenheads. It was INCREDIBLE! And I got a t-shirt there for that night (a couple california dates on the back) with a definitely awesome huge traditional looking Eddie on it, EATING UP THE CALIFORNIA FREEWAYS like spaghetti with sword/knife and a fork! Hollywood sign in the background, etc. It's great!

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 12:22:09 AM PDT
I like the cover. I mean, Eddie has looked different for EVERY cover - does the Piece of Mind Eddie look like The Number of The Beast Eddie? Plus, they've been pretty much had different lookin' art since they ditched Derek Riggs in the early 90s. I would've preferred they stuck with Riggs, or at least Melvyn Grant (face it, Fear of the Dark is a pretty cool cover, and the Eddie on Virtual XI is pretty wicked, too). I even think the Dance of Death cover is a really cool idea, it just isn't quite done right (apparently the artist wasn't done with it, they used an unfinished version and he didn't want any credit for it!). I do wish they'd stick with traditional painted covers (as opposed to digital art), but I do like the new cover, nonetheless. It actually "feels" like a classic Maiden cover to me, as opposed to "this is different".

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 8:19:12 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 11, 2010 12:28:53 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 9:53:34 AM PDT
Octoberman says:
I am actually glad that Riggs's best and most iconic depictions of Eddie correspond with Iron Maiden's best albums and singles and aren't wasted on anything after Seventh Son. I happen to like the new art work for Final Frontier and think that it is the best album cover I have seen for any band in a long time.

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 10:06:01 PM PDT
Michael says:
I like the cover, I don't know about everybody else though. It fits with the space theme of the album, the title "The Final Frontier" says it all. Some say it looks like a kid made it, but not every kid listens to Iron Maiden. At least not kids who haven't made it to middle school yet. It's a pretty extreme cover I think because of Alien Eddie, but hey, it's not a character from any of Cannibal Corpse's covers. Not that I don't like Cannibal Corpse. I'm saying it's what I've come to expect of an Iron Maiden cover. However (and I've said this countless times), it's not the artwork that makes the final product, but the product itself is what's supposed to make it enjoyable. People talk about cd and dvd covers and how bad they are like the cd's and dvd's aren't gonna be good, period. Those are the kind of people that shouldn't be buying then.

Posted on Aug 16, 2010 3:03:03 PM PDT
Tim L. says:
It is a great cover, each cover tells a story and progesses on every album, them changing Eddie is cool and goes with the space theme and it is another thing to look forward to when a new album comes out but of course the music is the most important but you have to love the art work.

Posted on Aug 25, 2010 4:23:47 AM PDT
J. Forst says:
When you have an icon like Eddie you need to preserve the legacy. I like the idea of the more IM has gotten away from their roots that Eddie suffers in the process. This is hands down the dumbest cover they could have chosen. a predator space Eddie. Give me a break. With all the fantastic artists out there this looks like a throwaway comic book cover at best. Coupled with the attrocious packaging for the Mission Edition this almost begs people to just download it instead. No reson for artwork and packaging when it arrives as lame as this.

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 11:23:45 PM PDT
I like the album cover but not the horrible Mission edition. The album is so-so and a bit of a disappointment. Hope this isnt the Final Album. Not the way a great band like Maiden should go out.

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 12:38:42 AM PST
Forst - well, you have a right to your opinion, but I don't see how a predator space Eddie is a dumb idea. I mean, how is it vastly different from the cyborg Eddie they had in 1986? I just think it's weird that people don't like the cover, when to me it's pretty typical Iron Maiden artwork. Of course, if you don't like their earlier covers, it would make sense . . .

But, McNary, I agree about the mission edition. The tin is kind of lame. I'm kind of conservative - I like my CDs in jewel cases with proper spines and cover artwork.

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 2:46:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2011 2:49:08 AM PDT
J. Forst says:
At least a cyborg Eddie looked like Eddie that the fans know and worship. this latest cover could have of been from any group or any sci-fi publisher. It does not give the artwork that 'Maiden' feel. Sorry, hands down for this cover. I will agree that it is better than the cgi artwork on the Dance of Death cd (which was way better music than this). Anyone who thinks this latest cd is Maiden getting back to their 'progressive' roots has not been keeping up w/ the band
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Aug 10, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 21, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Final Frontier
The Final Frontier by Iron Maiden (Audio CD - 2010)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (353)