Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM
asked by Cow Girl on January 13, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 answers
A
I asked Energy customer service about this. They said connect to the LEFT input of the sub only. They were very adamant that it would not degrade the sound. They explained that the Left/Right inputs are there for some (older?) receivers that have split Left/Right outputs for the subwoofer. I was going to by a Y adapter, but they convinced me there was absolutely no need.
Copper Java answered on December 21, 2011
Comment | 27 of 28 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
At the very minimum you will need an AV Receiver, 16 gauge speaker wire (100ft at least) and a subwoofer av cable. You cannot use the speakers without a receiver. I recently bought the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Denon AVR-1912 receiver, 100ft 16-gauge speaker wire, RCA subwoofer AV cable. I already had a Sony bluray player, DirecTv 3D box, and Xbox 360.
E. Salcido answered on August 24, 2011
Comment | 17 of 17 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, it is fine to use a 5.1 system with a 7.1 receiver. A 7.1 receiver means you can connect up to 7 speakers and 1 subwoofer. This allows you to add 2 more speakers in the future.
R. Cink answered on October 14, 2011
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If your AV receiver has a dedicated subwoofer output (like many newer AV receivers do) you would connect that single output to the left input of of this sub. If you have an older receiver without a dedicated subwoofer output output, you would connect outputs from your receiver's left and right channels to the left and right inputs on the sub.
RichJ answered on February 16, 2012
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks, I have bought 100ft mediabridge 16 gauge speaker wires. And was reading comments that for better sound quality and no loss, better to use end connectors as exposed wires can result in short circuit. I dont entirely agree with that, but wanted to confirm with people who have already installed speaker systems.
Darpan Gupta answered on August 25, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, you need an AV cable to connect your subwoofer to your receiver. An AV cable is the best way to go.
E. Salcido answered on November 9, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I paid a little more for 14 gauge wire. In hind sight 16 gauge would be just about as good. I got oxygen free wire to make sure I didn't get copper coated aluminum. The oxygen free cost a little more but IMO its worth it. Bottom line I would have gotten 16 gauge oxygen free speaker wire.
snob answered on June 24, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Sorry, I'm a newbie at home theater stuffs, but why do we need a separate "subwoofer cable"? Won't the speaker wires work? I'm using a HTiB and they all use one type of speaker cables, even the subwoofer. I'm just curious as I'm about to get this system and have to learn how to set it up with a receiver. Thanks.
J. Fung answered on November 26, 2011
Comments (2) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I get the need for the AV cable, but does a single male to male cable work? The subwoofer has left and right in-jacks, so do you need to buy a female to male splitter to connect to the male/male cable coming from your receiver's sub/out? I think the instructions say you can hook up the AV cable to the sub/in Left but why wouldn't you want to use a right and left sub/in hookup? I don't get it?
Also, can someone tell me whether 16 g speaker wire is good enough or is 12 g better? I'm not too tech-savvy.
Jane Halpern answered on November 27, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Banana plugs are not absolutely necessary. You can just do the bare wire install. As for performance, I doubt you will be able to tell the difference. What matters most here is the type of rating of the speaker wire that you use. I used the 16-gauge variety and my system sounds great. I originally ran out of the 16-gauge speaker wire and bought some cheap thin one at walmart only to find out that there was hardly any sound coming out of one of my satellite speakers. Good luck with your system.
E. Salcido answered on August 25, 2011
Comment (1) | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

See all questions about this product