Customer Discussions > Nintendo DS Lite Polar White forum

What is the age range for Nintendo DS?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-33 of 33 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 9, 2011 6:28:51 AM PST
Alana Miller says:
Skip the DS for a 5 year old and get an Innotab! They can learn on it, play games, watch videos, oh and its cheaper!!!

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 7:19:20 PM PST
I have a DS Lite that I don't really use anymore, maybe a few times a year, and I plan to give it to my child when he gets a little older, since he is barely 1 now. I plan to get him more age appropriate games though when he does inherit the system.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 4:09:18 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 28, 2012 4:16:48 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 4:15:17 AM PST
i do not think that any of these parents are aware, that nintendo promotes healthy growth of children, and gives an advisory to all parents who buy there products in all of there games and game systems. the advisory states that all of the systems should be used in moderation, and to make sure your child has a 10-15 minute break every hour of playing a game. THUS teaching your child healthy habits. playing video games has been proven to improve complex problem solving skills, hand-eye coordination, and multi-tasking and puzzle solving skills. maybe if parents actually read the inserts that are given inside EVERY game and EVERY game system, they would know, that it isnt the video game systems fault a child becomes lazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 6:25:58 AM PDT
Robert North says:
Interactions have effects. That's true of anything one interacts with. To say the type of device and the way it affects thinking is not important is way off. One of the challanges of TV, for instance is that you get a lot of it in short bursts between commercials and with lots of technical moments (edits, chnages in camera view, zoom, etc). These factors pormote short intention spans and the need for a lot of constant input. This is my worry with the handheld games. Life just isn't a video game, and kids need to be able to focus on lessons that require sustained attention. Might they learn using these devices? Sure. Might it hinder their capability for detailed analysis and deep, critical thinking later in life? Maybe. I don't think you're going very deep on this subject. Too much TV, maybe?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 8:25:03 PM PST
Deb Mann says:
Not sure if you bought one yet...here is my take...if your daughter plays any games on your phone or tablet, get the ds. If she has yet to play any type of hand held gaming device, start with something similar but less exoensive. I got my son a leapster explorer last year (3 1/2) and he was very frustrated and needed considerable help. A year later he has taken over my ipod and nearly has my tablet unlocked. So in a nutshell figure out how game friendly your daughter is and go from there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 8:26:08 PM PST
Deb Mann says:
Not sure if you bought one yet...here is my take...if your daughter plays any games on your phone or tablet, get the ds. If she has yet to play any type of hand held gaming device, start with something similar but less exoensive. I got my son a leapster explorer last year (3 1/2) and he was very frustrated and needed considerable help. A year later he has taken over my ipod and nearly has my tablet unlocked. So in a nutshell figure out how game friendly your daughter is and go from there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2014 6:34:29 PM PST
Jessika says:
My daughter has had a kindle since she was 5...it doesn't have the key pads like a leapster or a nintendo ds, but it has enough games and we download books to it so she can take them with her. Also, she dropped it once and it stopped working, amazon replaced it for free. But I'd still go with their new one rated for kids...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  28
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Oct 15, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Nintendo DS Lite Polar White
Nintendo DS Lite Polar White by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (2,211)