Customer Discussions > Alas, Babylon forum

What an experience

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 9, 2007 4:21:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2007 4:57:51 PM PDT
tab says:
I really liked this book and would like to know if you also read it, what did you think??

It started out a bit slow, but the military jargon was interesting. I found that when the first bomb hit, I really felt it. I felt like I was right there with Randy, it gave me goosebumps. It made me think about, what if? It also brought about strong feelings of self preservation. Would I be able to adapt to the new world. The world as it is after "The Day". Would I be able to keep my mental and physical being intact? It was inspiring to read about characters, although fictional, who gain such strength from eachother and really cared about one another.

This book, albeit spooky, yet inspiring, was such a good read. It has made me think. What I cherish, work for, and want today, may not always be there or be worth anything tomorrow. Nothing should ever be taken for granted. Life, is an appreciation most often overlooked. It shouldn't be. If you have read this book, I'd like to know your thoughts.

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2008 6:22:52 PM PDT
East Texas R says:
How have I missed this book? My daughter shared it with me after she finished it. Suddenly, I feel that I should collect instructions on canning, preserving meat and other skills necessary in a post bomb era. I do think it makes you consider what would really matter. The idea of neighbor helping neighbor is comforting, bringing back visions of pioneer days. My grandparents were country people who lived a life much like the Henry family in the book. I think they were much more prepared to face such a catastrophe than we are today. Maybe I need to ask my parents to tell me some more stories about how things were done when they were children and take notes this time!

I must say that the tone of the book hit home with me. I was born in a military hospital the year this book was written as my dad was in the Air Force during this period of time. He served for twelve years and I definitely remember how we feared the possibility of bombs. That was just the way it was then, although it might have been felt more by military families such as mine.

Thanks for sharing your ideas about the book. Anyone else?

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 11:41:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2009 11:43:08 PM PDT
I first read "alas babylon" in the late 1960's. It seemed all too possible then. That was before Carl Sagan published a book describing the very real notion of nuclear winter. Since then I have found many other books and movies, as well as documentaries and reality shows dealing with survival after the breakdown of our technological society. This one will always have a special place in my heart though, probably because it was the first one I came across. For those interested in practical books of information such as the previous writer mentioned, I suggest the Foxfire series. They are full of common everyday information that the vast majority of us have forgotten in the last 3 or 4 generations. Things like how to build a log cabin or butcher a hog. We live in a world where technology enables us to live in cities with populations of millions while only about 2% of us are farmers. There are many other ways for civilization to break down besides nuclear war-economic collapse, climate change, pestilence, asteroid inpact, and so on. Having a plan, and some prior preparation could make all the difference. Still, it would not be an adventure. There's a reason we now live the way we do...that being that life without all these wonderful inventions is hard, brutal, and short.

Posted on Oct 26, 2009 7:05:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2009 7:07:15 PM PDT
tab says:
I am so glad there is someone else who shares the same opinion about this book as I did. Its not like it puts you into a panic, like I have the feeling this new media attention on the year 2012 will bring, but it stirs up emotions usually taken for granted. Mind you its been 2 years since I first read it and started this discussion, but thats how much it effected me. Thank you guys for sharing! :)

Side note: yes russell it definately made me think about how far we have seperated ourselves from the "simple" things in life.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2010 5:30:39 AM PST
Country Girl says:
I read this book first back in the days when they had us crouching under our school desks with our arms folded over our heads while "civil defense" sirens were tested. It is one of the best, like On the Beach, to bring home the fragility of the skin of normalcy that overlies our society in the face of the forces that could destroy it so quickly. We've actually had real mini versions of such disasters around the world, with Hurricanes Andrew and Katrina, earthquakes in San Francisco and Los Angeles and elsewhere, the Indonesian tsunami, the earthquake in Haiti. How long could you live without electricity, phones, refrigeration, public water/sewer/sanitation? If you aren't ready for at least 72 hours, you are probably being very foolish.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Alas, Babylon forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Oct 9, 2007
Latest post:  Mar 6, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Alas, Babylon
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (Paperback - July 5, 2005)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (873)