What books to read with/after this one

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 24, 2009 3:53:13 AM PDT
Rose B. says:
I love this book, and we are making solid progress through it with my child. Every day, I see him read more and more, and it's great.

What worries me for now, is that he seems to have an idea that he can only read from this book, not other books, signs on the street, random words that come across his eyes, etc.

I'd like him to start reading other books, just so that he gets more confident and feels like he can read.

That said, I'm finding other "pre-reading" books rather disappointing or not working with this one, because they have sounds that haven't been introduced in this book yet or because they don't write "th" as one sound, etc, which confuses my son.

Are there any books you'd recommend that would be good to try with someone who's about half way through this one?

And what about after this one? I know they have a list of recommended books, but it's an oldie, due to the age of the book itself. Anything that's more recent that works really well?

Posted on Dec 9, 2009 9:07:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2010 9:27:09 PM PST
P. York says:
I guess I'd be patient and work through the entire 100 lessons (if you have not already done so). I did with my son and I did not make him try to read other books until we were almost done (he's 5). We completed the 100 lessons in 100 days actually. After we completed the book we went back to where the longer stories started and worked through two of the stories a day for practice (we could do the part 1/2 stories the same day then).

I agree the recommended books are hard to find because they are older (I got the Cat one, a couple Dr. Seuss ones and The Carrot). In fact, some may not even be appropriate for today but I did not review them all. After I only found a couple of the first 10 in my local bookstore I just started looking for alternatives and purchased a couple other good workbooks I'd recommend.

1) "100 Little Reading Comprehension Lessons: Fun-to-Read Stories with Skill-Building Exercises (Paperback)". ISBN-10: 1573104256. It has half page stories with pictures.

2) "Grade 1 reading for the gifted student" ISBN: 978-1-4114-1651-2. What I like is that it also has half-page stories with a picture and some questions.

Hope that helps. Peter

Posted on Sep 25, 2010 5:09:24 AM PDT
DD67 says:
I started by printing off emergent word family readers and just highlighting the words in the story that went with the word family that the child could read. LIke the "at family" by lesson 20 the child could read "at" "am" word families very well. We would practice the word family words (cat, hat, bat, sat, rat, mat)and then I would highlight the words in our story and I would say the highlighted words are the words you have learned to read and I will read the rest. I would either point or allow the child to point as long as they were pointing at the correct word in the sentence.

We started reading Bob books by lesson 15. lots of emergent readers sets to purchase or print off on line. By lesson 15 the child should be able to read, (A, the, see, am), but I also introduced (on, and)

You can make your own mini readers. we draw or take photos of stuff around the house, park, fair ectt.... just use the words the child knows or highlight the words the child can read and you read the rest.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 8:24:04 PM PST
I would go through the whole book first and then start on level one books. I did this with my son and had no problems. By the end of the book, it changes the font to a more regular text and the transition to "regular" books is not a problem. It was very successful for him.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Aug 24, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons by Phyllis Haddox (Paperback - 1983)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (1,227)