What a bunch of whiners and cry babies ......

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 18, 2011 7:19:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2011 7:20:38 AM PDT
old bald guy says:
I have the first five books in hardback and audio. I now have all six books on Kindle. I have loved the series for years. I just finished book 6 and love it also but the ending makes me think that there has to be a book 7.

I was amazed to see several negative reviews on Book 6 "The Land of Painted Caves" ... BEFORE the book came out. Is someone trying on purpose to ruin this book?

What is with all the whiners and crybabies bad mouthing the book? More than one "reviewer" stated that they had not actually read the whole book ... but said it was bad anyway. How do you "skim" through a book and then try to explain what was in the book? (if you had READ the book instead of SKIMMING, you would not have made so many mistakes about what was in it)

If you do actually read the book ... and THEN don't like it ... fine. But why try to ruin it for those of us who actually LOVE the series.

If you think you can do better, then try. Jean Auel has sold millions of books ... but you whiners won't sell anything.

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 1:39:30 PM PDT
I love the first 5 books of this exciting series, but I love each one less than the one before it. This last one- in the burn barrel it goes. Nothing but pure garbage.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2011 1:49:57 PM PDT
K.Stacey says:
If I could write something under Auel's name, I COULD do better. Damn near anybody could. Better than the monotonous copy-and-paste GARBAGE that this book was. She is only continuing to sell millions of books because the first few she wrote were brilliant. She is a cash-cow for her publisher on the strength of her PAST work, obviously. If THIS had come out by an unknown author? Well. It's a non-issue. It never would have seen daylight without a name behind it. I honestly doubt she even wrote it. And if she did, she should be ashamed.

Nobody needs to try to ruin this book. That was accomplished as soon as it hit the printer.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2011 4:09:41 PM PDT
Than do you honestly think what plot there was is truthful to the canon of the other books-not just what very little character was put forth here in LoPC?? Cit Jondalar waterhole & earlier behavior with personality shown before or even hinted at. Marana as baddie yes but what way,with J & A in character from before, cite it please I want it to make sense as written. Ditto Alya's reaction, whole caves reaction. Somewhere in Amazon land I cited why Pleasures not at Mother Festival counters the canon, can you do the same? And yes I read the book deeply first than skinned looking for the plot!!! again!!! from a library book. Not a keeper, am writing my own ending, in fact 2 different ways, with Jondalar still with Alya & one with her going away with making it believable to Earth Children world UP to this book and leaving a way open to find her people, son etc all the points missing here.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 1:09:31 PM PDT
Shadowreader says:
If you look at the information on the Amazon "Vine" program, you will see that long time reviewers on Amazon are given advance copies of the book. That is why some reviews came out before the actual release date.

As for why many people are trashing the book...perhaps it's because the book is simply *bad.* Many of us who are long time readers and fans of the EC series have been disappointed and feel absolutely betrayed by the unnatural actions of the main characters, and poor plotting. The intensity of the readers' reactions is in proportion to the sense of betrayal.

The waste of $15 I can brush off (personally). But the sense that a wonderful series is now utterly ruined is something that can never be recovered from, short of complete recall (unlikely). I suspect that the bitterness emanating from the reviews and forum posts is a reflection of this sense of loss.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 8:02:42 PM PDT
I read the entire book and was saddened. This is my most beloved series and this ending was out of character, depressing and just plain wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 8:06:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 19, 2011 11:00:36 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 6:39:57 PM PDT
amber says:
shadowreader...I agree comeletly I felt betrayed by all the charaters...this book saddened me deeply!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2011 10:47:03 PM PDT
She won't be selling Millions of this book
I think that if you read the pre-published teaser, that would have been enough. I couldn't make my way through that and gave me a bad feeling about the book. Good thing thought cause my expectations were low and just went lower as I read over and over again things in the previous books, as if I hadn't read them numerous times.

No, I think you are wrong, this book sucks & maybe we can find some fan fiction that is better to follow.
The Painful Caves -what a nightmare!

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 6:28:29 PM PDT
GadgetChick says:
I always love this argument. "If you think the product is totally inferior and a waste of money, don't tell anyone else! Keep it to yourself! That way everyone will just keep spending their money on something that's terrible!"

If you eat a terrible meal at a restaurant, you tell someone. If you get bad service in a retail store, you tell someone. If you buy an electronics products and it breaks right after you get it home, you tell someone.

When someone writes a book that is so poorly-organized, badly developed, and shoddily written it feels like a waste of time, guess what?

People are going to tell other people about it.

Posted on May 3, 2011 10:08:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 3, 2011 10:10:27 AM PDT]

Posted on May 3, 2011 10:11:20 AM PDT
Amazon should not have released this book at all.. and here they are still pushing it even after all of these reviews. I think they should put out a recall for all of us who feel literally ripped off by this book. It shows me that even if Amazon knows somethings bad they will not back their customers but only the peeps they can make $$ off.. I think I,m done with amazon to....

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2011 1:36:08 PM PDT
KatieKid says:
Diana,I agree that the directions the characters we've known for years did not follow the canon set up by the author in the original books.They're almost unrecognizable.

I had thought there'd be conflict in the personal relationship with Ayla and Jondalar as she increased her training in the zelandonia. I expected more maternal interest in her Jonayla,since memories of Durc were still a source of sadness.There were hints of illness in important Elder women at the Ninth Cave.And lurking in the background there were always the grudges and longings of those who were jealous of a couple who seemed to have more than most.

Jondalar having a fling (maybe a drunken one) with Marona...I could have seen that happening...but a continued affair,known by all? Where was his mother to smack him back to his senses? Did the First encourage it so Ayla would leave and concentrate on her studies?

As for Ayla jumping on Larimar??? no amount of wine,bouza,barma or funny herbs would have made sense of that. Not unless the reader was imbibing.

No,I agree with you..whatever storylines had been set up in 5 previous books they were abandoned in the Painful Caves.Or Plodding Caves.Pitiful Caves..grab a thesaurus and hop on board.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2011 3:26:52 PM PDT
Serene Night says:
Just because someone doesn't like a product doesn't mean they are whiners or don't have a right to an opinion.

Posted on May 3, 2011 7:19:23 PM PDT
Shadowreader sums up my feelings perfectly. I was in fifth grade when I found Clan on my mother's bookshelf and read it. It took me nearly a year to finish but then I was hooked and read it again...and again...and again! I eagerly read the next books in the series and have read them at least once a year. Had trouble liking book 5 so have only read it a couple times. But book 6? I cannot imagine re-reading it even once. This series has meant so much to me and this last book was so horrible I felt betrayed and disgusted. My reaction is huge - why else would I keep reading reviews here on Amazon? Reading others' reactions is a balm and helps me deal with the fact that the last book in a beloved series left me feeling sick indeed.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 11:49:45 AM PDT
KatieKid says:
I think that might a reason a lot of us continue to post on this subject. At first it was hard to believe this was the result of so many years of work..and now at least there's some comfort in sharing our bewilderment.

I was introduced to Ayla and the Clan by the man I eventually married. It was the day we slipped from friendship into a thirty year marriage, so the book has sentimental value. The night he found me reading Book 6 I was on page 400 and had to tell him nothing had happened but a lot of cave tours. We used to have so much fun talking about the research involved with the original book.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 8:19:33 PM PDT
K West, of course I agree :) --this is in another discussion also---I kept trying to find why his blinders went off at that time (was no pleasures time before, years of training, no cheating) And the plot twisted...she can 'read' people...no clue Jondalar cheated over a year....leader/brother warn of Marona....whole cave keep quiet...Marona brought down HARD coming between 'promised' pair....allowed over a year to dally with a bonded man...promised guy & Marona have to make amends...Jondalar & Marona go scott free...Marona for most part no longer welcomed at 5th cave...going back to mate there....Wolf harm who hurts Alya, even Jondalar he says...where was Wolf for over a year!!! Only wanst Alya...he had her all along but went to Marona for over a year. And a most damning if this part 'stands' First thought man makes babies & let Jondalar 'mate' with Marona over a year (think she's pg--or else not be welcomed back to 5th cave)...just to write out a few...(affair tried to be justified AFTER the fact & not with 'facts' in this book before the waterhole scene...only loose end tried I saw was Alya is 'chosen'--no surprise there. Am flip flopping from if he cheated than Alya goes elsewhere...was lost of TRUST from months & months & MONTHs of cheating...if love more than life the not hurt is not to do a hurtful thing, not just hide it, plus he as only totally upset over hurting Lamala so no way he cheats she stays with him...or...it's all Alya's greatest fear & the drug made her think that was really happening...not believeable for her to stay with him if cheat is 'real' imho :)
Please fanfic writers hurry with a fix...all 3 with believeable characters are welcomed here ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 12:43:06 PM PDT
A. Costello says:
I too felt betrayed and deeply disappointed by the terrible things that occured in this book. I can't help but wonder what happened in Jean Auel's personal life that would make her write such hateful and awful things. That just seems so petty and small, not to mention UNGRATEFUL to all of her millions of readers.

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 1:39:05 PM PDT
@K West - normally I get really annoyed when people post obvious spoilers without a warning for people that haven't read the book, but seeing those just makes me all the more certain that this is a book I won't ever be reading. I agree with the statement that it's absurd to call people "whiners" and "complainers" for posting their negative reviews of this book. If you are selling something to people, it should meet the buyer's expectations for quality. This clearly falls WELL short of even the smallest hopes we had.

Posted on May 11, 2012 4:27:21 PM PDT
joy57111 says:
I sincerely hope that this book is more a bridge to a book 7 that would satisfy readers. I do not feel that Jean Auel would leave us hanging in this way without knowing that there needs to be closure for the fans of her fantastic series. But the negativity of these posts are not going to make Jean get pumped up to write and I wouldn't blame her. I do hope she takes the time to read her own series and sees just what her fans are trying to project to her but it may be that she is just tired of what she has been working on and her interests have moved on to other areas in her life. That would be a shame.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 9:46:39 PM PDT
A Teacher says:
If this were a masterful series, we would have been returned to Ayla's origins and learn about her people killed in the earthquake. Her name is so similar to the Zelandonii names, I thought we'd discover her mother was on a pilgrimage from the Zelandonii. Ayla's discoveries in this book were not new and she had no more insight about her last journey with the root than she did the first time. The fifth book hinted at her emerging power. That did not go anywhere. The characters became two-dimensional,and I'm especially annoyed at the lack of subtlety in Jondalar's dalliance. His drift away from Ayla would be more interesting than another tea ceremony or excursion into a cave. I'm very happy we didn't have to be taught how to make fire in this book. Or repetitive, unimaginative lovemaking.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 9:32:07 PM PDT
S. Hodges says:
You are sooooo right. Why didn't the author quit while she was ahead? I spotted the downhill slide in book 2, more in 3, more in 4...#5 I didn't even bother with. I found it like new at a garage sale for 25 cents...just to go with my collection. I was reading these reviews hoping the series had been resurrected...but I guess not. Sad..

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 1:01:14 PM PDT
Ellen Speyer says:
I am still just as angry as 3 years ago when I first read that last book. And I like the most recent comments that address, I think, the most serious problems with the last book. Yes, she cheated us of the reunion with Durc and many other things she promised for the storyline, and I'm disappointed at that. But that's not why, 2 years later, I and others keep writing about how this last book disappointed and angered us. She demonstrates in "The Land of Painted Caves" several very upsetting things. Firstly, that she does not believe in the value or beauty or spirituality she has written about in the other 6 books. She shows she really has no respect for the naturalistic basis and roots of our own religions and medicine, the true magic of shamans like her own Kreb, and Isa and the Mamoot (sp?) and all the other spiritual leaders and inspired ones in all the first 6 books. And then there is Ayla. She has Ayla's suicidal behavior, described in some posts above, and then, she has the ultimate act of sexist female humiliation, Ayla demeans herself sexually, publically.
"Ok Ms. Auel, who had a child by someone else, the ruined your life? And mostly, why did you have to ruin the great series and hurt your readers because men become possessive about their 'Baby Mama'? Knowing that the respect you pretend to show the beautifully rich nature based spiritual life of the `primitive' people is really a lie. "
I didn't mind the long descriptions of the painted caves, I am interested in the anthropological and sociological issues, although, if she is going to go to the great lengths to describe the caves, and she had the wonderful experience of being able to go into those caves (on my Bucket List) I would like to have her try to make some interpretation, we know it's a guess, so is all of the beautiful spirituality she disrespects along with Ayla, at the end of her series. I am mildly angry Ms. Auel did not deliver on her promises in the last of the series, and will not give her another chance to hurt me with any other book she may write. Someone prompted me to write this comment, after close to a year I think since my last one, because someone had commented at the degree and continued anger that the person had never seen on other author/book/comment sites. Someone wondered why we are and remain THIS angry. We remain this angry because she demeaned her character as a person and as woman, and demeaned every reader while doing so.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2014 10:32:06 AM PDT
BBQ says:
I couldn't have said it better myself, so I won't try!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Apr 18, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 6, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Land of Painted Caves: A Novel (Earth's Children)
The Land of Painted Caves: A Novel (Earth's Children) by Jean M. Auel (Hardcover - March 29, 2011)
2.6 out of 5 stars   (1,979)