Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2009 8:24:59 AM PST
My daughter recently polished off the final Harry Potter book, and I'm looking for something else she might like, preferably a series that will keep her busy for a while. She's a fast and voracious reader and tends to read most books in a day or two. The Harry Potter series was the only one she actually took some time with.

What would you recommend for a gifted nine-year-old who adored Harry Potter?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2010 9:24:43 AM PST
Percy Jackson and the Olympians Paperback Boxed Set (Books 1-3)

This series was really good, it talks about kids that are the Children of Olympus. She may enjoy it.

Hope this helps

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2010 4:49:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2010 4:52:17 PM PDT
Ms C says:
C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia. Full of magic and wonder. She might also like A Wrinkle in Time. And of course, there's always The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings series, although she may need to be a little older for that. (Not for The Hobbit, that's great for a nine-year-old!)

Posted on Jun 2, 2010 5:26:59 PM PDT
Thanks. She's read A Wrinkle in Time and liked it but wasn't interested in reading any more of the series. Maybe I'll suggest The Hobbit. I remember not making it past the first chapter or so when I was a kid, but she's not me. :D

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 12:28:11 AM PST
Irvinglord says:
How about trying The Pyn King, a timeless tale of kings, queens, despots and cannibalistic child assassins? For those unsure (and in the uncertain world of self publication who can blame them?) on immediately shelling out for the physical book, you can download a complete digital copy from lulu.com for free.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about