Roku HD Player (Old Model)
Used & New from: $149.99
What is the correct way to pronounce Roku? What is the correct way to pronounce Roku? Is it "rue-ku"? What is the origin of the word? Japenese?
asked by R. Lilly on April 25, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 answers
A
votes
Leo Laporte says it ROW KU so i am going to have to go with his pronunciation.
John F. Shue answered on May 16, 2009

A
votes
I called them. It's pronounced Row-Koo. :D
AmazingJ answered on February 15, 2012

A
votes
In this digital world I don't think I've ever heard it pronounced except by me! I say row-ku
S. Payne answered on April 26, 2009

A
votes
"Row-ku" sounds correct, but it think either one ("rue-ku" or "row-ku") would work. Does anyone know the meaning of the name? For example does it mean something in another language?
R. Lilly answered on May 5, 2009

A
votes
Roku
Eric A. Leavitt answered on December 30, 2013

A
votes
In the world of hype I'll bet the pronunciation is
'Rock-you'
Glows by night answered on January 2, 2011

A
votes
My reply to Mr. R.D. Folk. Many persons here in the U.S.A. and Europe thought the Japanese are the ones who cannot pronounce the letter "R".
Japanese can easily say the "R's" like the words "Aregato" and "Sayonara". Chinese people are the ones who can hardly pronounce the letter "R"; I once asked my Chinese-American wife to prepare "fried rice" for dinner, and during dinner time she said to me: "your "FLIED LICE" is ready. I also travel a lot to Hong Kong and Japan during my younger years as a sailor. Therefore, maybe Mr. J.F. Shue is correct: ROW KU or better yet... ROW KOO, if it is really a Japanese word.
Bejay in Spring answered on November 29, 2010

A
votes
Roku is the Japanese word for the number 6. It also isthe linked to 2 mythological creatures. Not sure why the device is called Roku.
Nyree Cox answered on October 11, 2012

A
votes
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Roku is like Wii. Chosen because it has no meaning in any language the company knows of. And I agree that, if Leo LaPorte says row-koo that's probably correct.
spookiewon answered on December 12, 2010

A
votes
Most logical rumor is that it is the sixth company that its CEO founded. In Japanese, apparently means the number 6, pronounced similarly to row-koo. But how about "Rock-You"?
Sparkling Pix "Don" answered on May 31, 2009
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›