Customer Discussions > Cloud Atlas: A Novel forum

What was corrected in Cloud Atlas correction?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 16, 2012 1:04:08 PM PDT
I have already completed Cloud Atlas and just discovered a corrected version is available. How can I identify the corrected material? Were corrections made to the entire manuscript or only certain chapters? Should I re-read the book?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 8:54:54 PM PST
T. Gluck says:
Hmm. I just encountered a logical inconsistency that is troubling me no end... and I'm wondering if in fact this might be something that's been corrected in a new version! Here's my observation:

In the chapter 'Sloosha's Crossin', the opening section describes Zachry's first encounter with 'Old Georgie.' He describes seeing Old Georgie in a tree, and the subsequent encounter with the Kona and his father's death. He also says he was a 'niner' at the time.

A few pages later, Zachary describes his first trip to the Iconry. "First time I went inside the Icon'ry was with Pa'n'Adam'n'Jonas when I was a sevener.' A few sentences later he says '... an' in my head I prayed the same, tho' I knowed I been marked by Old Georgie at Sloosha's Crossin'."

I went back and re-read the first paragraph, about Zach's first encounter with Old Georgie, thinking perhaps this opening section might conflate several different memories of encounters with Old Georgie. But if that's the case, I couldn't find it. The opening section seems quite definitely to describe a single incident, the initial encounter with Old Georgie.

So how can Zachry refer to being 'marked by Old Georgie at Sloosha's Crossin' when he was only seven, his father was still alive, and he hadn't yet HAD that experience?

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 2:33:32 AM PST
I'll have to go take a look at my own copy (a hardcover) to see if it has the same inconsistencies, but (and I know this might be..."inconceivable!") it's quite possible it was merely a typo that was overlooked. After all, I believe several people have pointed out that a Robert Louis Steveson novel -- TREASURE ISLAND? ROBINSON CRUSOE? -- has a typographical error that has remained until this day, in which a man strips off his clothes, swims out to a boat, then "fills his pockets" with coins.

No one is perfect. Not even your favorite novelist. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Sep 16, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Cloud Atlas
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (Hardcover - March 1, 2004)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (1,666)