What is the difference between LR4 and elements 11?
asked by Jorden Weiss on February 1, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
Too many to address here. The short answer is that if you edit images one at a time and only need basic cataloguing capability, get Elements. It is very good image editor. On the other hand, if you need to be able to process, caption, keyword and catalogue large numbers of images simultaneously, get Lightroom. Lightroom handles 90% + of my processing needs, but lacks a few filters and layer features that Elements has that I find useful, so I use both. If I had to only own one, it would be Lightroom without question. Once you learn catalogue management it is a great program, and I really love that adjusted images don't have to be saved. Lightroom saves the adjustment recipe for each image, and these can be tweaked indefinitely without affecting the original image file or necessitating saving a copy of the adjusted image (this helps keep file management very clean and neat without multiple copies of images floating around). If you can only own one, best to download trial versions of both and try them before you buy. Most of the techniques you learn in one package will carry over fairly well to the other, so you won't be wasting much time if you decide against one on which you've invested time.
JW answered on February 1, 2013
Comment (1) | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Both handle RAW images the same. LR4 is much better for me in cataloging my pictures, doing "quick fixes" on jpg, & printing. Elements 11 lets me do more advanced work such as layers and color/lighting variations. Elements 11 also has many filters in it & available as add-ons for special effects.
Richard C. answered on February 1, 2013
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Check out these videos: http://tv.adobe.com/show/going-from-photoshop-elements-to-lightroom/

Although they talk about LR 3 and Elements 10, the information should still be valuable.
Jeffrey Tranberry answered on February 2, 2013
Comment (1) | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I look at them this way. LR4 is for enhancing and correcting photos (exposure, color balance, etc) and it has a powerful cataloging aspect. Elements is for more specific special effects...stuff like removing people from an image, changing backgrounds, etc.
That's how i see the difference having both programs on my computer.
L. Aberegg answered on February 2, 2013
Comments (3) | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I use both, but prefer LR4 for the major part of my workflow. LR4 has a better organizer and more color/lighting controls and far better print controls. If you really want to be prepared for any creative situation, buy both and sign up for Lynda.com complete tutorials on both.
larry answered on February 3, 2013
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I am not familiar with Elements 11 but I know that having Lightroom 4 is the greatest thing I have ever purchased for Digital Asset Management (pictures)!! It is a powerful product for the price.
Paul Dormeyer answered on February 1, 2013
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
There are a lot of differences and at times I use both. Check out the comparison chart at http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopfamily/buying-guide-version-comparison.html
Larry L. answered on February 2, 2013
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product