What drives people to go out on their own?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2012 1:00:03 PM PDT
Cheryl Strayed "strayed" from the usual path and set out on her own. In her case, it was a thousand miles on a path along the West Coast. Her journey is pretty concrete, in some ways, as we can all "see" the path she took. But the adventure, the solitude, the big decisions - those are intangibles. And they apply to more than just hikers. People often take their own paths by starting businesses to work for themselves, moving cross country, ending relationships, changing careers, taking up new hobbies and more. What do you think gives these people the courage and stamina to do so? Or is it something unique to the individual?

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 6:06:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2013 7:29:46 PM PDT
For some, I believe it to be a sincere love of nature. And, the thought they might find the answers to many of life's sufferings by submerging themselves in the quiet beauty of nature.
In 1984, I ventured off to Nepal for a 16 day experience, and to climb to Everest Base Camp. Newly divorced, I sincerely hoped for insight and healing. Did I find IT on a high mountain?
No! It came with..age and time!
The experience took my mind off of "myself" in a healthy, and wonderful way. It was the right thing, for me, at the right time.
We all search for "HOPE".....and peace of mind. Namaste'
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Jul 27, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (Hardcover - March 20, 2012)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (7,579)