Customer Discussions > Les Miserables forum

What french literature should I read?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2008 5:17:50 PM PST
Dark Sheep says:
For my "independent study" class, I want to read some classics that either take place in France or were written by a well-known French author. I've already read The Count of Monte Cristo and Les Miserables and loved them! I'm thinking about reading The Hunchback of Notre Dam, but I thought it would be better to get a feel for a different author besides Victor Hugo. If anyone has a good suggestion, I'd be very happy to hear it! I need to find a French novel, but if there's a classic that I should be sure not to miss, feel free to add it. Thanks!

Posted on Mar 5, 2009 3:13:53 PM PST
annica says:
You have to read Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery if you have not already read it. It is a beautiful book and if you have read it in English do not think you are finished because the French original has a lot more power and meaning than the English translation. After reading it in French, I was appalled by the very literal English version and felt almost as if I should rewrite it to capture more of the original meaning. Although many people consider it a children's book they fail to realize its depth and the fact that it can have almost any interpretation after reading. It's certainly a thought provoking book and I think it counts as a classic although it is very small and simple.
(And Notre-Dame de Paris, or The Hunchback of Notre Dame, is also very good, but very depressing. Le Petit Prince is not so dark if you want to get away from that sort of thing.)

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2009 4:20:57 PM PDT
R. Mcelroy says:
"The Three Musketeers" by Alexandre Dumas is a must. He does not go off on 100 page tangents, like Hugo. Every page, every paragraph, every word moves the story along. Although there are many good translations out there, you should read it in French, if you can.

Posted on Jan 17, 2010 7:19:23 AM PST
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert. Not only a hypnotic novel about a young woman making all the mistakes people naturally make, but one of the most influential novels in the history of the genre.

Posted on May 20, 2011 3:32:04 PM PDT
Roger Grant says:
french literature, like french movies, commonly focus on man's relation with god and/or mighty forces bigger then ourselves. this means, then, that we must be ready to digress, to explore and perhaps even take a 180 turn. reading proust has turned my world; and he, like hugo, waits to invite you to change your life.
in my opinion, proust gives us the greatest instruction on how to transform our soul and lives.

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 7:50:29 AM PDT
Perry Weiner says:
First of all: Balzac. From him, you begin to get to serious French literature. Pere Goriot is the place to begin. Then, Flaubert. Madame Bovary is of course great, ditto Sentimental Education. Stendhal's Red & Black and Charterhouse of Parma are wonderful! The best Nineteenth Century writer, though, in my opinion is Zola. In him you get the marriage of stylistic brilliance and virtuosity and a deeper vision of the world, society, and history; he's not a bystander musing with savage irony the way the wonderful Stendhal is, but he's a passionate and omniscient participant, especially in The Debacle, a novel immersed and enmeshed in the daily lives of soldiers and revolutionaries. The Twentieth Century is an easier pick: Proust. All of A La Recherche du Temps Perdu. It's the great modernist novel in Nineteenth Century dress. I do love Celine's Journey to the end of Night and Camus' The Stranger and The Plague, not to be discounted. Have a happy life-time's reading, as have I!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Les Miserables forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Dec 6, 2008
Latest post:  Aug 20, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Les Miserables
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (Mass Market Paperback - March 3, 1987)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (397)