What the holy books say about The Secret

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 131 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2007 7:08:45 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 13, 2008 10:18:41 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2007 10:45:45 AM PST
Marietb says:
This is essentially The Secret- not matter who it was told by (which the authors show were the history greats, including JC if you wish).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2007 9:32:39 AM PST
A. Cargill says:
I am a Christian and I realize Christians don't always realize the power God has given us here on earth and we often live beneath what God has intended. But I do know that God never intended us to be equal with Him as a co-creator as the Religious Science books put it. In fact that desire is what Satan used to convince Adam and Eve to commit the first sin. We are not to be our own god or equal to God in any way. I am sad that here are so many people that are turning to this "Secret" with their needs instead of Christ. And I blame myself and other Christians that are not living a life that brings others to seek the life of healing in Christ.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2007 6:06:25 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 19, 2007 6:07:18 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2007 6:12:16 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 19, 2007 6:25:30 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2007 11:52:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2007 1:52:40 PM PST
TaTa says:
I am in total agreement with everything you
( A. Cargill) said in your post, and as Christians who read the Bible, sometimes we need another source to jolt our awareness of something that we really already know. I found the dvd great, I am in the midst of reading the book. I think much of the teaching is actually "Christian" teaching, however the authors are trying to reach a larger audience by watering down the religious roots of the True Secrets revealed in the Bible.
This teaching in "The Secret" has opened my realization to the fact that what I have called realism all my life is really negativity and as soon as I made a CONCIOUS connection in my mind about how really negative a lot of my thoughts are, even as a born again Christian, if this material gave me the wake up called that it did, I say GOOD! Now I have to put what I already know into practice, AMEN
I am going to buy the cd and I also bought the book and dvd for my sister, if you care about someone dearly.....pay it forward!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2007 12:51:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2007 12:53:19 PM PST
As a Christian, I don't see any problem with the concepts of this book. Co-creating to me does not mean God isn't God....it means we are to strive to be perfect, like Christ, who obtained perfection by opening his heart to love the world, and by denying the finality of death, overcame it! And he tells us this power is for us too! None of this conflicts with the teachings of Christ. Re-read the new testament. He (and his followers, ie Paul)teach that we are to strive to be like Christ. Is it obtainable on this earth? Who knows? But we are to try. Satan is not in a book. He's in your head. Don't let him keep you from being who you were meant to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2007 5:36:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2007 5:37:55 PM PST
TheClap says:
I totally agree with you Mary E. Mcculley. No offense A. Cargill, but I couldn't disagree with you more. I really hate to say to someone that they are dead wrong, but what you said couldn't be further from the truth. God is not a jealous hateful man who wants power. He is a loving father who wants his children to be just like him and create worlds and have children. Just like him. That's what children do. They grow up and do the same things that their parents do...If they follow their parents footsteps.

Why would God give us the power to have children in this life and then take it away in heaven. Would that really be a better place if we had abilities and potential taken away from us by going there? When God says that we are his children, which part of that don't you believe? I am a very devout Christian, and it pains me to see so many "Christian" religions teaching things that are so far from what Christ actually taught.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2007 10:26:38 AM PST
M. Rhodes says:
Talk of co-creation is all ego...I, me, mine. It makes point of separating....God created or creates this and I create these other things. Co-creation is a false teaching. If you look at the life of those who are generally and univerally recognized as beacons of enlightenment, they are far from having a co-creator philosophy. Most enlightened folks actually live life of service and sacrifice where set aside own ego for good of others. They shed the I/Me/Mine mentality or their ego to reveal deeper power that lies within. God doesn't need more power. It is egotistical human beings with theories like co-creationism or similar who seek power. My two cents for what it's worth.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2007 4:46:34 PM PST
Sara A. Wall says:
Maybe it's for people who find Christianity too hard.

Matthew 7:7 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

Ask, Seek, Knock
7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2007 4:49:32 PM PST
S. Wall says:
Maybe it's for people who find Christianity too hard.

Matthew 7:7 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

Ask, Seek, Knock
7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2007 11:16:02 AM PST
You are absolutely 100% correct! I still believe in the secret, but you are most correct that people are not sourcing it in the right way. It still has everything to do with the law of attraction, but like you said, it comes from God not from a book :) We should be rejoicing in God, not the author Rhonda Byrne. The first author I've seen to portray this same message: about the power being in all of us, but still acknowledging that it comes from God is Shalex Beckwith who wrote Gods or Monsters... The author shares the same message, that we were never ment to be equal with God, but the ability to be better is within all of us.

I think Shalex Beckwith steps it up a notch. Inspired by the heritage stories passed down to her from her father. It's an interesting twist to Christianity, while still being able to maintain your Christian faith...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2007 9:04:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 13, 2008 10:16:40 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2007 9:15:36 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 13, 2008 10:15:47 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2007 11:11:39 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 13, 2008 9:36:59 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2007 7:00:35 PM PDT
It would be best for us to do more research into 'The Secret' in order to understand what it is all about. What is stated in the movie is real basic and I think intended to be just an opening exposure to this concept.

The concept has been around forever as some have noted here, The Bible, also called cause and effect, law of attraction, deliberate creation and more.

The first thing that should be clarified is that the one thinking the thoughts is not actually creating the thing, but rather directing, via specific thought, what the intelligent universe, God, creates.

Thought comes from the same substance as the coding within a mustard seed, that God responds to automatically.

This of course brings up the differences in our concept of God. Those who believe that God is more like a humanoid, because the Bible states we are created in his image, and a human father figure will likely have a hard time conceiving that God would have to do anything automatically or as directed by a personal thoughts. But when you study many different religious and spiritual concepts and seek the common thread, you come to realize that God is more of an intelligent system - which everything is a part of.

We humans are self thinking individually expressing parts of this intelligent system many call the universe, many call god. We are each part of the whole. We each cannot do all of what God can do, but we are all a part of God.

It's much like how one of your skin cells is part of your body, knowing how to request what it needs and wants while it cannot control the entire body. The body as a whole responds to the request of the skin cell.

So just as your main operating system, the brain, does not selectively or randomly give the requestiong skin cell it's desire, God does not randomly give each of us what we request - it is always given, based on exact request.

This is where it all becomes difficut. Our experience in life now becomes our responsibility - it's all in what we request, which is, as The Secret states, our thoughts.

This is one reason why it's easier to believe that something else, usually God, is pulling the puppet strings of our reality. We can't admit that what we veiw as unpleasant is our doing.

In brief this covers what has been brought up in these posts which of course only touches the surface of how life works.

One other thing to consider, when we choose to latch on to one belief system, our mind closes, our intuition shuts down and we stop growing and expanding. Remenber, all the belief systems out there have been devised by humans attempting to figure out how life works, this includes our interpretation of books and information provided by others.

Consider your belief system and how it was formed. As a human being each of us can only do what all humans are capable of - we can each only interpret what comes before us based on our individual perception, which has been uniquely developed through the years by our life experiences and prior interpretations.

Since we are each not all of God, we cannot know all of God, and we certainly can't speak for him, it - whatever.

Understanding life is a process we each undertake in our own way. Finding things that work for you to improve your life is based on individual perceptions, understanding and belief. If you don't believe that you can instigate specific creation thought your thoughts, then you won't make any effort to do so.

However, I believe, it is happening anyway. You are always receiving life based on your predominate thoughts. Whether or not you choose to manage those thoughts or not is a choice - your free will.

Enjoy,

John

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2007 12:03:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2007 12:04:43 PM PDT
J. Arena says:
ISP: THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! What an awesome post.

Who could be foolish enough to argue against these brilliant thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2007 4:57:49 AM PDT
M. Galdamez says:
Mary,

Thanks for being so articulate on the message of the Secret posted on 2/20. I couldn't have said it better myself! Far too many people are misreading this important message and you made an excellent point of explaining our striving to be like Christ!

Madalyn

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2007 3:30:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2007 3:32:28 PM PDT
C. Stack says:
You (TheClap) aren't describing the God of the Bible. God isn't a man, He is God, creator of the universe and everything in it. He came to earth as a God/Man (Jesus) to show us what God is like and to make the ultimate sacrifice for our sins. All we have to do is put our faith in Jesus and we will spend eternity with Him.

God gave us the example of Him as father to help us understand what He was like. Why have children for eternity? Ask any woman and she will tell you that would not be Heaven, but Hell. Bearing children is hard work, and painful. Those religions that teach procreating throughout eternity were all man-made.

I don't know what church you attend, but you aren't being taught from the true Bible. You need to find a different church where the Word of God is taught.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2007 8:37:08 PM PDT
readaholic says:
I copied this from the Secret page 164, "You are God manifested in human form, made to perfection" "You are God in a physical body." "you have God potential and power to create your world and you are." These statements seem to be stroking the ego of the reader, and do not say each of us is a child of God, or part of God. They plainly say "You are God." I say this is outrageous, ridiculous, manipulative flattery that helps to sell this product. What do you guys think?

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2007 1:08:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2007 1:10:35 PM PDT
BoroEagle says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2007 4:03:35 PM PDT
readaholic says:
I'm really curious to know why my question posted here on May 9th hasn't gotten even one answer. Anybody, anybody?

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2007 5:33:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 11, 2007 5:37:50 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2007 5:43:06 PM PDT
I couldn't agree more readaholic!! Thank you!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2007 4:06:27 AM PDT
readaholic says:
J.T. Francis, I don't deserve thanks, but it is nice to know at least one person shares my reaction to those statements!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  47
Total posts:  131
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 12, 2008

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Secret (Unabridged, 4-CD Set)
The Secret (Unabridged, 4-CD Set) by Rhonda Byrne (Audio CD - November 28, 2006)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (4,196)