Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

What the holy books say about The Secret

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 131 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2007 8:44:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 8, 2010 10:13:18 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2007 9:25:06 PM PDT
Lisa A. says:
No, Mormon's are not Christians - they believe that Jesus Christ is JUST another human being - one who was enlightened, one who became "fulfilled" - and they also believe that each human has the same capability as Jesus - to become as he is - and then they get to rule their own planet. I'm not making this up, folks - this is really Mormon teaching! They do not believe that Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of God, and that He is God, as the 2nd member of the Holy Trinity - they believe he is a created creature - as we all are - who became "perfected" - as they believe we all can become. They do not believe in the Holy Trinity - they are not Christians. Don't let them fool you - saying you "believe" in Jesus Christ is not enough - WHAT you believe is essential - and since they do not believe in the concept of the Holy Trinity, or that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God, or that Jesus was truly God AND truly human, as the Bible teaches - since they believe he is the same as any other created creature - therefore, Mormons are NOT Christians. This is not meant to disparage their beliefs - but simply to explain the truth of what they actually do believe.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2007 10:37:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 8, 2010 10:11:18 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2007 6:35:03 AM PDT
A. Cargill says:
Freereign...calm down....I don't think she was condemning Mormons. Lisa was saying, I think, to call yourself a Christian means that you believe that Jesus is The Son of God. Mormons don't, (I guess, I haven't really looked into it,) therefore they aren't technically Christians. Lots of religions believe in a god or the God....that doesn't make them Christian, believeing in Jesus as the Son of God does. Christians also believe that God speaks to us today, hopefully everyday, every minute. God doesn't smite those that don't know Him, He loves all peoples and wants them to know Him through the provision that He made for us in Christ. Christ died a horrible death to bring us to God. As far as Jimmy Swaggart and all the rest of us Christians that have yet to learn to live in the power that Christ gives us daily, I apologize that we are not the perfect example that Christ was....YET. But we are hopefully learning and getting closer to God who is able to love us in spite of our many short-comings because in Christ we have forgiveness. In short Christians believe that Christ "is the only way to go" because that is what God tells us and shows us. That is not being exclusive, it is just stating a fact. I have proof...daily. I know who I am and who I was before Christ came to be my Lord and Savior. I have had God answer prayer. I have had God speak to me through His word. God is alive and well in my heart and that is all the proof I need to know that in Christ is the answer, the Secret, that is no secret. There is nothing you could say or do to provide proof to the contrary for me. I am sorry for those that have not found Christ in a church that they have attended. All I can say is try another and another until you find one that teaches truth. You will know it when you see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2007 8:56:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 8, 2010 10:11:19 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2007 9:18:03 AM PDT
freereign, you are really bent out of shape...I agree with the others...calm down. This is a discussion, not a war. And, no one knows everything. I don't (neither do you). We are all searching for the truth. You may never find out until you die but I would be careful what I say about God and Jesus if I were you.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2007 9:18:56 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 7, 2007 9:19:09 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2007 11:10:12 AM PDT
Rolio says:
True and please don't talk down about Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and Zues either. You never know if they're sitting in Heavan right now planning your demise!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2007 11:33:21 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 8, 2010 10:11:18 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2007 12:04:49 PM PDT
you're just plain old mean and rude...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2007 12:50:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2007 12:52:29 PM PDT
Maja Daoust says:
Hi Everyone,

For all of you who are interested,
I have written a book examining Holy sources of "The Secret" thoughout history dating back to ancinet Egypt.

It discusses quotes by Jesus, the Christian Scientists, Hermes and others.

It also looks at the Angelic and demonic origins of some of the material.

It will be out in October or November:

Secret Source: The Law of Attraction Is One of Seven Ancient Hermetic Laws: Here Are the Other Six

Thanks,
Maja

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2007 1:43:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 8, 2010 10:10:22 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2007 1:38:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2007 1:40:41 PM PDT
Maja Daoust says:
Actually,
I explore the Secret in its Hermetic roots...
Hermes recieves his information from Poimandres, who is described as a "Fiery flying Serpent" which is the exact translation of the Hebrew word "Seraphim", a type of angel.
The Emerald Tablet is recieved by Hermes much in the same way Moses recieves the Torah from heaven.
That is my Angelic source of the law of attraction.
But the tradition of the reception of material from Daimons or angels is further explored in the book.

But thanks for your witty comments!

Maja

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2007 1:48:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 8, 2010 10:11:15 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 10:43:06 AM PDT
Maja Daoust says:
Hi there Freereign,
Well, I didn't actually say anything that I believe in. That is another topic entirely. But way to interject that.
And yes my research was based on those things written all that time ago, whether or not it is imaginary is not for me to say.

But yes, you are correct. The Secret is sourced to God, or the ONE center of all things (so it is with all things). Exactly right. However according to traditions, this information is brought from the ONE source to mankind via messengers, or translators. At least according to the "legends". There is always a go between. Even the most mystic, such as Moses who supposedly are able to "see" God actually recieve the tablets from Angels, not from God itself.
But yes, the angels, or demons (because really there is little difference)get the data in turn directly from God, of course.

AS far as "The sin" in the bible you mentioned, The reason it was a sin to try and live forever was because this was so that we could be as God. Or at least that's how I understand it in the Jewish literature like Rashi on the old testament. Satan promises ADam and Eve they can "Become as God" and live forever, if I'm not mistaken, so the sin is related to emulating God, I think anyway.Although I'm not sure what that has to do with what we are talking about.

as far as good and evil existing in the world and all that meaning there is no benevolent God,that's a topic for another time and place, haha.

Yes, you are right, vizualization is a great gift to us and very powerful. AND dangerous. It must be coupled with discipline and purpose. And I agree that the prosperity preachers are full of baloney and mention such in the book as well.

Thanks for your comments,
oh fyi, I aint a fella, I'm a broad, haha.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 2:53:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 8, 2010 10:10:21 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 7:34:54 PM PDT
Maja Daoust says:
Cool Freereign,
Then you don't need to read the book!

I'm not really sure why you are even bothering with this thread if you aren't interested in its history, since that is the topic.

Its kind of like going to an AA meeting and telling people you don't want to hear about thier drinking problems.
Haha.

What evs dude, have a good one.

But for anyone else who is interested in what the holy books of Judaism, Hermetica and Christianity say about the Secret, like I said, its in my book.
Cheerio.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2007 6:22:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 8, 2010 10:10:22 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2007 2:26:17 PM PDT
Maja Daoust says:
Haha
Will do Freereign!
I tried to do just that, in fact I have a major section on The Emerald Tablet which is quoted at the begining of "The Secret"
So hopefully it will be good!
Thanks
Maja

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2007 1:37:51 PM PST
WOW I haven't heard a christian take that type of accountability since i've known Christ personally for myself, that is very inspiring and I was actually about to read that book but kind of heard that is was something of that nature and with the day to day battles we face I don't want that information adding to the chaos...so appreciate the honesty and stay encouraged and be strong God sees you and HE doesn't forget...IT'S A HEART THING...peacea and blessings...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 11:01:10 AM PST
Dr Lisa Love says:
Here is a summary of my own thoughts regarding The Secret and what holy books or spiritual traditions have to say. It is based on a review I posted on The Secret book recently in light of my own book BEYOND THE SECRET: Spiritual Power and the Law of Attraction, which attempts to take a spiritual look based on my extensive understanding of various spiritual traditions, primarily Christian.
THE SECRET BOOK REVIEW

Misleads and Misses the Mark, November 15, 2007
By Dr Lisa Love "DoctorLisaLove.com" (Encinitas, CA United States) - See all my reviews

Take a basic principle, The Law of Attraction, which teaches you how to use your thoughts and feelings to get what you want in life. Sprinkle in a lot of hype and divorce it from deeper spiritual values and principles and you pretty much have THE SECRET. Fact is, it is no secret that people attract what they want; the key is to want the right things for the right reasons! Knowing WHAT TO WISH FOR, not merely how to wish is why I wrote my own book this year, Beyond the Secret

Here are a few of the 20 different points of disagreement I had with this book that I addressed in my own.

"You are the most powerful magnet in the Universe." - The Secret.
"Who are 'you?' Who is the 'you' that is doing the attracting? Your spiritual self? Your ego? How can you distinquish between the two?" - Beyond the Secret

"Only do what feels good." - The Secret
"Attempt to do what feels right. Feel good by doing good." - Beyond the Secret

"You cannot catch any illness unless you think you can." - The Secret
"Even the most spiritual people amongst us may suffer from disease. The causes for disease are numerous and not always a result of your thoughts." - Beyond the Secret

"We never run out of good things because there's more than enough to go around for everyone." - The Secret
"There is enough for our needs, but not our greeds. Global warming is a problem right now precisely because as a species we are over-consuming. Remember the ego is afraid of not getting what it wants. When we are truly identified with Spirit we want everyone to have enough, not just ourselves." - Beyond the Secret

Look the Law of Attraction is neutral. It doesn't care what kind of person you are, when you let the genie out of the bottle to make a wish. That is why I emphasize that the Law of Attraction is not just about "getting and spending"; that if wedded with deeper spiritual principles it can be understood as a tool for developing an authentic spirituality that leads us from a focus on consumption to one of contribution, or feeling that we are primarily here to make a positive difference in our world.

After all, if we as a human family don't make a more concerted effort to attract "spiritual abundance" over "material abundance" we may attract a lot of stuff to ourselves, but we won't create a world we really want to live in. That is why I believe it is time to move WAY "beyond" The Secret, and to put the horse before the cart so we can orient towards spirit, negate our egos, and attract soul qualities that will help us become better people, so we know what to attract that can be of benefit to ourselves and everyone around us. The Secret says practically nothing about this. Which is why I don't think the Law of Attraction is the "greatest secret of the universe" as this book hypes it to be. I think learning the secret of Spirit is so we become loving and caring individuals capable of attracting and creating a better world. - Dr. Lisa Love, Beyond the Secret: Spiritual Power and the Law of Attraction

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2007 10:52:44 AM PST
B.K. says:
Geeeez! Have you ever stopped to "think" Rhonda Byrne wrote the book for the masses that would never know if it weren't in print??? I don't believe Rhonda Byrne ever insinuated that she was reponsible for "This Secret". She constantly reminded us these were the teachings of the Universe (GOD).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2007 4:48:44 PM PST
I say you are correct. Jesus said, "Ye error because ye know not what the scripture saith." Even during Jesus time on earth he fully understood that people errored because they did not know the truth.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007 4:02:21 AM PST
Duncan Peter says:
Jesus also said THESE THINGS AND GREATER THINGS WILL YOU DO IN MY NAME BECAUSE I GO TO THE FATHER

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2007 12:12:22 AM PST
I am also a Christian, my thought on the secret is this love & faith brings joy & peace which brings health & wealth which brings power which brings Christ & Christ brings all the above. I am nothing, can do nothing without the Holy Trinity. I make it through life with the Grace of God & the Guidance of Jesus. Hear or feel the Holy Spirit, Hear the calling of the positive and keep in mind that Jesus needs our love and companionship as we need him.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  47
Total posts:  131
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 12, 2008

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Secret (Unabridged, 4-CD Set)
The Secret (Unabridged, 4-CD Set) by Rhonda Byrne (Audio CD - November 28, 2006)
4.0 out of 5 stars (5,247)