Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 108 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 16, 2009 9:07:19 PM PDT
PCM says:
I just bought a DX. I see a few people complaining about earlier models lasting only a year or two. What is general experience with this? If this is really the case, should the extended warranty actually be considered in this case? Thanks.

Posted on Jul 1, 2009 9:28:21 AM PDT
J. Middleton says:
My Kindle I crapped out after 18 months. I called the folks at Amazon and they were very nice, more than happy to replace it ... for $189. Plus shipping. $400 for a toy that lasts a year and a half? Amazon's dirty little secret.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2009 11:23:17 PM PDT
PCM says:
Not good news. I haven't had mine 1 month and I just got a replacement today. Have to reinput all my documents....everything but books. I think this is a decent reader. But the pdf, speech, mp3, internet search marketing is very misleading for what you get.

Posted on Jul 17, 2009 8:46:25 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 17, 2009 8:48:53 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2009 1:45:31 PM PDT
I am on my 3rd Kindle 1 in the last year. None were the result of falls and were replaced by amazon.

Posted on Oct 6, 2009 7:09:49 AM PDT
I found this info interresting and a bit alarming but it does seem to only be relevant for the Kindle 1; is there any info out there regarding improvements to its lifespan with the Kindle 2 (which I just recently purchased)?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2010 9:19:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2010 9:22:30 AM PST
Mimi Montana says:
Mine just died after 18 months also. My husband paid about $500 for the DX. It sure is a secret! Lady I talked to thought I should be grateful it outlasted the year warranty. I use it very seldom. Someone should let the public know about the short life span!

Or maybe the answer is to demand a new one before the year's warranty is up

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 9:48:40 AM PST
Keith Hays says:
I bought a first gen Kindle about three years ago and it still works great!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2010 12:52:20 PM PST
Krazy4Katz says:
Mine is about the same age, used almost daily and still works!

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 1:37:29 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 8, 2010 1:38:44 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 5:01:37 PM PST
S Richhart says:
I got a 1st gen Kindle in April of 2008. I read for at least an hour, almost every night, and it still works fine. I'm actually waiting for it to crap out now so I can get a new one, but until that day, no complaints.

Posted on Dec 23, 2010 6:41:33 PM PST
I have had my Kindle three years, and it is just now starting to fade away. Based on some of these comments, I guess that is a pretty good lifespan.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 11:32:53 AM PST
gaskell says:
What is technology coming to? Surely a piece of equipment should last indefinitely. If I had known the expected life of a kindle was a year + a bit, no matter how much I enjoy the one I have , I would not have considered requesting it for a gift.

I really like my kindle, I find it convinient, fun and cost effective , but not if it its life span is a year. Mine defaulted after 9 months , was immediately replaced, but the guarantee only runs until the date of purchase. Is this how little faith they have in the kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 6:18:33 PM PST
i am so with you!!! My 2009 Kindle just blitzed and I will not pay $60 for a "refurbished" Kindle. I will pay that for a new device since I expect an appliance to last more than 2 years!!! FB is next

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 10:49:05 AM PST
M. May says:
I bought the original Kindle 4 years ago. It still works fine. I was so happy with the quality I bought the Kindle Fire during the pre-sale. Now I enjoy lending out the original Kindle to my friends so that they can read some of the great books I have downloaded over the years. Also, my 7 year old is getting old enough to read real chapter books and I look forward to giving the orginal kindle to her in a few months. My friends will be disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 3:05:53 PM PST
Jean Siebert says:
I have a kindle dx. I usually get about three months on them. However I take it to bed with me. Do not do this. Extended warranty through the other vendor might be a very good idea. I bought that warranty on the kindle fire.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 1:55:07 PM PST
I've owned a Touch 3G for three hours, feeling good about having bought the extended warranty.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 4:19:11 PM PST
oceanlover46 says:
I keep having to reboot my kindle. Does that mean it is at end of life?

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 1:14:27 PM PST
Mimi Montana says:
Dear Kindle family,

The following is a sad love story. I was a part of your family for such a short time we never really got to know each other, but I thought it would help me work through my grief if I told you my story.

Your DX came into my life on my 71st birthday: August 8, 2009. I was warned against him. He was too sleek; too much money; I knew nothing about his past or his family. But I fell in love with DX and planned to spend the rest of my life with him.

I wasn't able to spend much time with DX during the first year of our relationship. It seems we spent quality time together only when we traveled. Otherwise I was busy reading textbooks and outside assignments for my classes at Carroll College or reading the books assigned for my classic books club in Arizona where I went for the winter. Or reading our daily newspaper. (Early on I had thought that by subscribing to the New York Times, DX and I would have more in common, but that didn't work out either.) However, in the meantime I took good care of DX, and he took good care of himself: mainly just resting in a peaceful state. Over that first year I did share a list of about 30 books with DX, but we never got around to reading them together before he suddenly took very ill.

I remember the day well: November 27, 2010. I had looked forward to spending some loving time with DX during the Thanksgiving holiday from classes at Carroll. (I don't want to embarrass you, but I tried really hard to turn him on.) At first he responded, weakly, but then started shaking. I called Urgent Care at cust.service03+A307TA13862UMB@amazon.com . The attendant's name was Paula, and she didn't seem to think my case was urgent nor did she much care. She just kept asking me if I had insurance.
Paula did ask me to try a couple of things with DX. I can't remember exactly what. When I related the resulting symptoms to her she told me DX was a goner, that there was nothing I could do, that he had lived as long a life as his family expected. I was hysterical. "As long as was expected?" "HOW CAN THAT BE?" I fairly screamed. "Why I have three TV sets, two old cameras, a refrigerator, a Maytag washer, and my grandmother's freezer for god's sake, that all have had much longer lives than my DX. I expected he would be with me to the end. And once again I told her no I didn't have insurance and hung up.

Dead? Dead? How could my DX be dead? But he was. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't bear the thought of cremation; I couldn't just bury him because I no longer believed in a heaven to which he could return. Plus, I was afraid he would end up in that Nigerian landfill for e-readers that Nicholson Baker wrote about in the New Yorker on August 3, 2009. So I did nothing - for a year. I hid his body for a while, but I knew he was still there. And the more I thought about his death so early in his life, the more angry and resentful I became. I need to rid myself of such thoughts and memories.

I've come to believe DX had a genetic disease that his family should know about. Therefore I am returning his perfectly preserved body for further study and autopsy. If you find the cause of his death I would be grateful if you would let the rest of his family know. And if I have sent his body to the wrong line of his family would you please forward it. I know only that his family is scattered all over the country. I just hope I have found some of his relatives who care about family.

People tell me that I will find another to take the place of my beloved DX. I don't think so. A first love is hard to replace.

Diana

The heartless Kindle family returned the dead body and letter above unanswered

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 6:10:07 PM PDT
Leslie says:
I just bought my third Kindle in 15 months. The first one died after two months, and Amazon replaced it immediately, under the warranty. But now that replacement has died, and the warranty has ended. So I'm waiting for my third to arrive in the mail. I went for a cheaper version this time (with ads), because if I'm going to have to replace them every year or two, I want to pay as little as possible. Most frustrating is being without access to my library for a week, while I wait for it arrive. (Yes, I can read the books on my laptop, but I hate reading from my laptop.) But I'm still not going to buy the warranty, because it only ads one year to the warranty that comes with the Kindle, and it costs a third as much as the Kindle costs. It's a racket! But I love the Kindle, so I'm stuck.

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 10:01:31 PM PDT
Carrie B says:
I've had a Kindle for about three years. Think it was sold as a Kindle II. (It has whisper sync and a keyboard but model names change so not sure which model it is/was.) But I love it and it's still working.

After reading over 300 books on that Kindle I thought I noticed a bit of a shadow/ghost line where so many lines of text have been repeatedly displayed on the screen. Purchased a new Kindle Keyboard a few months ago and looking at the new screen vs. the old one confirmed the problem is what looks like a worn screen (rather than my old eyes getting worse.) I'm reading on my newer Keyboard model but gave the older one to my husband (younger with better eyes) and he's enjoying it. Dear husband likes to read but doesn't like to shop for and select books. After 33 years together I know what DH likes so with a loaded Kindle in hand and my recommendations on what to read next he's reading more than he has in recent years when I didn't have DTBs to hand him after I read them.

For the price of the Kindle I think three years plus and still going is pretty good. Hope my new Kindle lasts that long.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 11:03:31 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 5, 2012 11:03:42 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 11:49:38 AM PDT
I'd like to see actual stats on Kindle life span, this seems to be mostly a place for people to complain when their Kindle breaks.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 12:02:06 PM PDT
Leslie says:
Well, Bradley, all any of us can know is our own personal experience with our own Kindles. As I said above, I have had two Kindles go bad in the space of 15 months. If you want to dismiss that as just me complaining, then you are free to do so. But none of us have any access to Kindle statistics, and I wish you great good luck in getting that information out of Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 12:08:30 PM PDT
Carrie B says:
I'd like to see stats too so after reading the complaints here I surveyed the 30 plus members of my reading group. We all have Kindles with most of the units being more than 3 yrs old and only one person reported a problem. That person's Kindle was more than four years old when the problem occurred, which presented as a circle where no print would display on the bottom half of the screen. He thought maybe someone set a glass or coffee cup on it, but wasn't sure.

Of course my sample group is extremely small considering the no. of units purchased internationally, but the results my group reported seem to fall more in line with general Kindle owner reviews I've read than the complaints written in this discussion.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  89
Total posts:  108
Initial post:  Jun 16, 2009
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about