Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 83 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 12:12:54 PM PDT
Consumer Reports isn't very good. Maybe I can find something else to post here.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 2:28:46 PM PDT
My first Kindle died within a year. got a replacement for which I had to pay half, and it died less than 2 years later;it did not get much use as I gave it to my husband who only used it on trips over 12 hours in the air, Last xmas 2010 he gave me the Kindle 2--I would like to buy him a new one but have already noticed that my# 2 battery life is already degrading after 14 months of use--supposed to be good for 30 days but now is good for 21--so what is up with this????

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 11:16:49 AM PDT
Gary Thaller says:
If you have a cover without the light, take it off. For awhile, they were selling defective covers. If you call them, they will likely replace the Kindle and the cover for free. This is a known defect.

Posted on May 10, 2012 7:47:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 7:48:23 PM PDT
K. Shunk says:
My first Kindle (3rd Gen w/keyboard) died 6 months after I bought it. Amazon replaced it with a refurbished Kindle. This one died (screen freeze) just after my warranty ended. They have offered to replace it for $80 + shipping, but I'm a little skeptical. I love my Kindle - use it every day, but I hate that it breaks so easily.

Posted on May 13, 2012 7:48:50 PM PDT
Jim Fang says:
my kindle keyboard (wifi, no 3g) died after about 18 months. Developed a smudge on screen that won't go away.
was not dropped or mishandled.
Was offered a replacement one for $65 + USD$12 shipping. Not that great, considering refurbished ones in Australia go for AUD$99.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 6:23:40 PM PDT
Nancy Maddox says:
I have had two go bad in sixteen months. Life is not as long as it should be for the price paid. However, I just purchased a new one, figured a 1 year warranty was better for the $139 price than 90 days for a $65 replacement plus shipping charge.

Posted on May 20, 2012 10:19:29 AM PDT
my kindle died after 14 months

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 8:27:58 AM PDT
I purchased the original Kindle used just before they came out with Kindle 2. The old Kindle is at least 5 years old and still works fine. My new Kindle 2 just crapped out on me yesterday after owning it less than two years. I love my kindles and hope that the replacement they are sending me lasts longer. My daughter still uses the original Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 5:10:51 AM PDT
My first kindle was purchased 2010. It had to be replaced after 10 months. My second kindle broke after 14 months due to nothing I did. Requested a new one. They will gladly replace if I pay 89.00. Why would I keep buying this item from them if it only last a year.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 5:55:08 AM PDT
lynna says:
I bought my daughter a Kindle two years ago and she informed yesterday that it is dead. According to customer service and tech
support at Amazon, her Kindle is "broke". Unfortunately, I have purchased 3 more Kindles as gifts over the past year, sure wish
I had known they had such a short lifespan. If mine craps out I know I won't buy another.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 8:17:11 PM PDT
Diana:
I loved your story. Amazon does not care about you or me. They only care about money. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 8:18:12 PM PDT
Thank you Leslie

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 8:40:36 PM PDT
Wow! Someone read it?! Yeah, Amazon sent the dead body back without even reading my letter. It's now resting - not peaceably if I can help it - in my basement

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 7:13:31 PM PDT
eshuma says:
My Kindle lasted 18 months, and now I am searching internet for recommendations. I don't want frills, just reliable ereader!

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 3:55:20 AM PDT
My first kindle lasted ten months. They sent me a refurbished model plus the case. That lasted fourteen months. Neither kindle was mishandled. They would send me another if I paid eighty five dollars. Refused, bought a Nook color instead.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 8:08:05 PM PDT
Another 18 mos life span reporting in. We are not exactly techno-experts, but have treated the machine very gently. We got the case, skin and the whole ball of wax.
If it was a car I'd say it was only driven on Sunday's. Still 18 months of use and it is useless!! My wife just was getting into the new kindle book she bought yesterday when it died. I find this a rediculous expectation, and will be hard pressed to recommend a Kindle to anyone, no matter what the glitzy adds say.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 1:08:28 PM PDT
18 months on the Kindle Keyboard with 3g...then the screen died...lines and screen saver wouldn't leave even when turned off...certainly thought shelf life would be much longer...used it everyday...definately won't buy another high end model...going for the cheapest if at all...disappointed and saving extra pennies for insurance...good grief

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 2:40:45 PM PDT
14 months and mine died. It was never dropped and always in the cover, got horrible run around from amazon when I wrote them negative feedback they kept saying to get in contact with them to 'resolve' the issue. I do not call getting me to purchase another one of your disposable products a resolution. My last email with them said to get in contact with them to replace it for free, which was not my intention I was just leaving feedback on the whole experience. When I did get in contact with them they tried to get me to purchase another kindle. no thank you.

I was told directly from an amazon employee the life span of a kindle is 2-3yrs.

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 12:18:33 PM PDT
S Ferrari says:
Interesting discussion but what I would like to know is how do i save the content in the event it dies... is there a way to back it up to pc?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2012 1:30:23 PM PDT
Bought my kindle June 2011 and it died yesterday so only 14 months old but out of warranty so am gutted. Looked on the internet and my problem seems to be a common one, top half of the screen frozen. Puts me off getting another one as i have found out that this has happened to at least 3 people i know all just beyond the one year mark!

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 5:37:21 AM PDT
Emelie Bratt says:
It is rather alarming that today's technology is built to break as soon as the warranty runs out. My first kindle broke after just a few months but was able to get a replacement and the second one is not yet two years old when it reached the end of it's lfe. I did use it frequently but am always careful not to damage it. It is a lot of money for something that will not even out live a house plant.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 11:56:02 AM PST
My problems with kindle are slightly different but the result is the same. My first Kindle (3rd generation with keyboard, 3g) froze after the first few months. I called customer service and they walked me through the hard-restart. It worked. I had to do the hard-restart quite often until it was ten months old, when it froze and wouldnt even let me do that. Since it was still under warranty I called and got a replacement. Sometime in the two or three days that it took me to get a replacement it miraculously started workin again with no help from me, but since it was obviously having issues I sent it back anyway. I've had my second kindle for thirteen months now. It has worked much bettter than the first. I've hardly had to do the hard-restart at all, but again the end result is the same. It froze. I cant turn a page, put it in sleep mode, turn it off or do a hard-restart. It will do the hard-start on it's own but half the time it comes back up frozen and the other half the time it will work for five minutes before it freezes again.

The only thing Amazon was willing to do was sell me a down-graded version of the one I have now for a discounted price of $75 or I can by an upgraded one for like $90 or somehthing like that. If the lifespan of a Kindle is only a year it really isnt that cost effective.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 2:01:39 PM PST
LBAR says:
In the interest of statistical accuracy I would like to add my sad kindle story to this forum. I purchased the kindle Keyboard for my young daughter who is a voracious reader. I too was skeptical at first about the paperless thing but found I loved the convenience of being able to have a book instantly. Like others my ( ahem ) my daughters kindle suddenly died one day. It was just after the one year warranty was up. I was horrified that Amazon seemed not to care very much. I guess I didn't think much about how long it would last... I mean I've had cell phones last 6 or 7 years and that's with daily use. Anyway some of the " discounted replacement options " Amazon offered were as expensive as the first kindle I bought. The cheaper options, (It makes me sick to even say it)... ran ad's across the screen!!! My God in heaven the last bastion of advertisement free entertainment has been molested by corporate interests. I'll be sticking with paper from now on.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 2:36:37 PM PST
Simon Berry says:
Not sure why nobody is using the Sale Of Goods Act here. It covers goods against being faulty for 'until the item would reasonably be expected to last' (up to a maximum of 6 years). I'm pretty sure Amazon have officially stated somewhere the life expectancy is around 3 years, although it would ultimately be up to the OFT to make a final decision. I'd certainly expect an e-reader to last longer than 14-15 months which is when a lot of people are saying they are giving up. I also can't see Amazon admitting the life expectancy is under 15 months, which they'd have to in order to turn down a claim under the SOGA :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:28:15 AM PST
So if you're starting a class action sign me up. Diana Dowling
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  68
Total posts:  83
Initial post:  Jun 16, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 10, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The New York Times - Daily Edition for Kindle
The New York Times - Daily Edition for Kindle by The New York Times Company
3.4 out of 5 stars   (953)