Customer Discussions > HISTORIAN / A NOVEL forum

What is girl's name?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 15, 2009 5:11:58 AM PDT
I just finished the book. And I wonder that whether there is any mention about her name, the young girl who travel with Barley. I remember her name is from her grandmother. Anyone?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2009 8:51:07 PM PDT
Her name is never told in the book: even the letters from her parents only say "My dear daughter".

Posted on Aug 18, 2009 7:27:44 AM PDT
J. McNeese says:
Ok, so here are my thoughts... Because of the introduction that Ms. Kostova wrote, it must be assumed that she is referring to herself as the daughter. Unless anyone can come up with a better response to what her name is, that would be my best guess as an English Professor. While reading this book, I found it quite intriguing that the girl's name is never mentioned, but not surprised. This is not a new tool, but something that is rarely used. In the book, "Rebecca," for example, the name of the wife is never mentioned. She is always living in the shadow of the first wife, Rebecca, who the book is named after. Yet, at the end of the novel, the second wife is never named. So I must say, Ms. Kostova, I would really like to have a second book dealing with this young lady and hear more of her story.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2009 7:00:07 PM PDT
What is Professor Paul's last name? .. Professor Rossi's student.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2010 2:35:19 PM PDT
KSC says:
I don't think the author is putting herself in the novel as the daughter of Paul and Helen. The daughter is the main narrator and begins the novel by saying that she is recording events that occurred in the past. The rest of the story (except for the end in which we are back in the "present") is the narrator telling the story, even if much of the story is told thru others' letters. This woman remains nameless. We only know that she is named after Helen's mother, however Helen's mother is never given a name. I also don't think Paul, her father, is given a surname. While I understood the significance of the second Mrs de Winter remaining nameless, I fail to see why the author of this book choose to give some characters names and others not. I don't think there is anything left to say about the daughter. She has told us everything about herself that pertains to the novel. The only reason for Kostova to write a sequel to this (which I don't think I would read) would be to explain the ending to this book. Is Dracula still alive? Or has one of his minions taken over? I thought that once the leader was killed (Dracula) then all vampires made by him would also die. That ending (with the unnamed narrator being handed one of the imfamous Dragon books) was terribly contrived. Kostova wanted a shocker/twist ending, so she wrote one, even though Dracula was killed beyond a doubt. I did not like this novel and don't think I can recommend it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  HISTORIAN / A NOVEL forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  May 15, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
HISTORIAN / A NOVEL
HISTORIAN / A NOVEL by Elizabeth Kostova (Hardcover - 2005)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (1,920)