Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2010 5:41:01 PM PDT
EM says:
I'd like to know what flours the recipes call for before I buy, so I can figure out whether I would be able to use them. I'm allergic to rice, so can't use rice-based recipes.

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 4:46:29 AM PDT
I have the same question. I can't use rice either.

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 12:39:56 PM PDT
Reach4Joy2 says:
For great info on which type of gluten-free flours to use and when, check out ElanasPantry.com. She links into the best place to purchase blanched almond flour and regular almond flour at Honeyvillegrain.com. It changed my cooking and baking. She's right, Bob's Red Mill doesn't work for most baking recipes.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2010 1:35:50 PM PDT
toni f says:
She does use white rice flour as the biggest component of her flour mix. If you had another type of flour that you could substitute into her mix - the book might still be worth getting just for the recipes. You should also note that she uses rice milk as her milk substitute. Hope this helps

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2010 1:36:07 PM PDT
toni f says:
She does use white rice flour as the biggest component of her flour mix. If you had another type of flour that you could substitute into her mix - the book might still be worth getting just for the recipes. You should also note that she uses rice milk as her milk substitute. Hope this helps

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2010 2:22:14 PM PDT
EM says:
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2010 4:18:58 PM PDT
A. Monroe says:
It is FULL of rice flour recipes! I am concerned that 'the' tapioca starch she demands you use to make things as good as she does is made on shared equipment as wheat....how gfree is that?

Posted on Nov 2, 2010 7:12:25 AM PDT
Liat2768 says:
I think the author is writing for a child who has gluten intolerance and not celiac disease. so, her recipes need to be thought through carefully. However, with a little bit of attention to ingredients I have found that every recipe I have used turns out just perfect! Also, I did not use the tapioca starch brand she does but use the one from Bob's red mill to no ill effect.
I think GF cooking is an introduction to major experimentation in the kitchen. The recipes do work with subsitutions. I use regular milk or coconut milk instead of the rice milk. I toss in some ground flax instead of an egg, replace oil with butter and applesauce (no casien intolerance issue with us) and cut down sugar amounts to where I am more comfortable. There is a lot of information online about subsitutions in baking.
My point is that like almost any other cookbook out there you can tweak the recipes to where they fit your own idea of nutritional goodness.
I know that it would be a wonderful world if the cookbooks did all the work for us but I own a shelf load of GF cookbooks and still add and remove things from my favorite recipes to make them nurtitionally acceptable to me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Sep 7, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 2, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Cooking for Isaiah: Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Recipes for Easy Delicious Meals
Cooking for Isaiah: Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Recipes for Easy Delicious Meals by Silvana Nardone (Hardcover - August 26, 2010)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (165)