What is the maximum size SD card that the sx50 can support?
asked by Whitness on January 2, 2013
Sort: Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
I don't know the max SD or SDHC card this SX-50 HS camera can support. I currently use 16 to 32 GB SDHC cards in this camera with no problems at all.
Stormy1 answered on January 13, 2015
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
SDXC: 128 GB and 256 GB cards are available.
Randy Wakeman answered on October 18, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It should support whatever size SD card, because they're all the same size. However, what will be affected is the time it takes to save each photo. The higher the capacity of the card--and the more photos you take on that card--the longer the camera will take to process each image before it is ready to take another. For that reason, and not putting all your eggs in one basket, it's best not to buy anything larger than 16GB. Even at the largest file size, you can still fit several thousand photos on one card. I take a ton of photos when on vacation, and recently went on an 11-day trip to San Francisco, Yosemite, and the California coast. I came back with nearly 2,000 photos, and didn't even fill up 2/3 of one 16GB card. I have an extra as a backup (the same way I do with batteries--just in case), but unless you take more than 3,000--3,500 photos before downloading them, you'll never need more than 16GB worth of capacity.
Andrew Bauer answered on February 21, 2013
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The Manual gives two examples concerning the number of shots per card--8GB and 32GB. At the highest resolution, 1,379 images can be shot using 8GB, and 5,568 images using 32GB. I'm using a SanDisk Ultra SDHC 16GB card myself. FYI, movie recording time at highest quality is 29 min. 39 sec. for 8GB, 1 hr. 59 min. 43 sec. for 32GB.
Mike Ben answered on January 2, 2013
Comments (2) | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I am using a Sandisk 32GB Ultra SD card and it works fine!
Ernest Anderson Jr. answered on January 2, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I do not know the max, but I have a 32gig SDHC (I have more than one :) )
Wolfhere answered on January 2, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Probably 32g but I put one of 16g and no problem and hold a lot of jpeg around 4,000
Giancarlos Dangelo answered on January 2, 2013
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
from the documentation on the Canon web site i can find no limitations on the size of the SD card I have attached the link to the specs page for you further reading. http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx50_hs#Specifications
Tbone answered on January 2, 2013
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The new SDXC cards are going to be the maximum size cards of the future once the technology catches up. Right now they are pretty expensive , a SanDisk Extreme 64 GB SDXC Class 10 memory card lists at about $200, but is on sale on Amazon right now for about $70. A SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 would have a list price of about $80, but are currently on sale on Amazon for about $25 apiece. Two of them could be bought for less than $50 total.

SD cards are limited to 2 GB.
SDHC cards are limited to 32 GB.
SDXC cards are for capacities above 32 GB.

It is my understanding that eventually the SDXC cards may even be able to hold as much as 1 TB capacity, but the technology is not yet available to do that. Not counting off-brands like Lexar, the largest capacity SanDisk card offered, I believe is a SanDisk Extreme flash memory card - 128 GB - SDXC. It lists for about $300, but is currently on sale on Amazon for just under $150.
John Sturgeon answered on January 2, 2013
Comments (2) | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I never thought about it. Right now I'm using a 32GB card and it seems more than adequate.I can take 10000 pics at fine resolution, not including Raw images.
LeeG answered on January 2, 2013
Comments (3) | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product