Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

What is missing from the ending? (Let's make this a positive.)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 23, 2007 3:51:56 PM PDT
I've always thought that one of the great aspects of the the Harry Potter series is that JKR does not seet the need to include every detail. This can make other stories seem overly long & tiresome. Yet, many people seem to be complaining that the one detail they thought should be included wasn't there. Knowing that, she can't please everyone -- she kept it short & sweet.

Here's a chance to add what could have been added to the ending.

My $0.02 -- I would have liked to see the owls fluttering around the country & wizards galavanting in their robes with reckless abandon in celebration of the defeat of voldemort. Finally one owl would make its way to where the Dursleys were hiding & Vernon would receive it happily as they would finally be free of their imprisonment. It seems to me that stories out to end with some sort of parallel to their beginning.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2007 4:03:29 PM PDT
Nice one.

Luna finds a Crumple-Horned Snorkack behind a collapsed wall at Hogwarts. She reminds a speechless Hermione that not everything is found in textbooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2007 4:06:38 PM PDT
L. Boswell says:
I was so waiting for a Crumple-Horned Snorkack to appear! So mad when it didn't!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2007 4:16:35 PM PST
That's a nice thought. Now that the Dursleys have had to admit the existence of magic, and Dudley has turned a wee bit nicer, it would have been interesting to have heard a bit more about them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2007 5:34:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2007 5:35:40 PM PST
Sumer Suri says:
I would have really liked to see the Crumple-Horned Snorkack bit that heatwavesarenofun mentioned! Also, they could have shown exactly WHO Draco married. Whether it was Pansy or some other hapless girl.
Victor Krum and Xenophilius Lovegood talk things out in the end, and as a compensation present for the duel that happens during this, Victor gives Xeno another Erumpet horn, which Xeno insists again belongs to a Crumple-Horned Snorkack.
Slughorn, while in the Muggle world, discovers the Subway diet and tries to go through with it, but fails spectacularly.
Another, little sad bit, Andromeda Tonks is consoled for the passing of her husband, daughter, and son-in-law. After all, she's the only member of the Tonks family left.
Hermione, enraged by the publishing of The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore, blabs Rita Skeeter's secret, rendering Muriel Prewett her only remaining fan.

What do you think?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2007 6:46:10 PM PST
tab says:
George,
FANTASTIC!! This, too, is how I would like the story to have gone full circle. You took the words right out of my mouth. Now I'll have to think of something else. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2007 11:36:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2007 11:37:28 PM PST
In the Epilogue, it would have been nice if Dudley and Petunia were at the station, very nervously but proudly putting Dudley's magical daughter on the Hogwarts Express, with her cousins looking after her. Vernon would either be dead or at home, but Petunia would be a proud, beaming grandmother; she might even have a grudging kind word for Harry.

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 10:38:37 AM PDT
1593 says:
REVIVIO FILUM!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:18:53 AM PDT
Z'annae says:
Indeed, but enough about your breakfast.

As for the OP, I have to agree with the first comment.

"Luna finds a Crumple-Horned Snorkack behind a collapsed wall at Hogwarts. She reminds a speechless Hermione that not everything is found in textbooks. "

Succinct and true.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jul 23, 2007
Latest post:  Sep 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - August 1, 2007)
4.8 out of 5 stars (10,990)