Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2007 10:35:07 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 1:11:00 PM PDT
I can't imagine what the point would be in reviewing a book we know nothing about.

While I've never heard of this guy before now (some atheist I am, huh?), it sounds from the description as though he didn't change his criteria (needing evidence) as many previous converts have, but rather believes he now has evidence. So, I'm certainly interested to see what it is he considers evidence of God, since every other theist I've known has failed to give me something good.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2007 6:09:43 AM PDT
Jesse Combs says:
I haven't read the book - but I have read some of Flew's prior work and it was top notch. I find it difficult to imagine how he will overcome his prior argument against intelligent design and against the coherency of the god concept.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2007 11:44:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2007 11:47:46 AM PDT
I have read Flew's articles regarding his change of mind and he claimed that "new evidence" based on arguments from design were a significant influence in his decision. Flew has taken a lot of heat from his peers for his volte face and I am impressed by his intellectual honesty. Many people insist on retaining their earlier beliefs despite the evidence, preferring the security of dogmatism and peer-aproval, Flew has managed to escape the temptations of dogmatism and, right or wrong, left his earlier beliefs behind.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2007 2:11:51 PM PDT
I have read Flew. He seems to have changed is mind ONLY about the possibility of a first cause god only. and it seems it is due to the lack of a theory or explaination of the origin of DNA. I ask, what is wrong with just saying: We still don't know,... yet" how DNA got started. Why must we, and he, jump to that ever-so-facile conclusion that God did it. God has been the last resort explaination for everything that humans did not understand.... until we understood it: e.g. the weather, illness, volcanos, births, death, etc. and as we come to understand more and more, God's realm has retreated more and more. He will finally go away when we understand everything.... someday. But until then, let's not invent answers just because we don't want to say.... "we just don't know....yet ".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2007 8:20:01 PM PDT
The Point of Intelligent Design is that everything you mention: weather, illnesses (polio, flu, etc.), volcanos (vital for maintaining atmospheric oxygen and life sustaining elements), birth, apoptosis, all the things you so lightly toss onto the discard God pile, in fact are all integral parts of a coordinated system that defies attempts at explanation by materialistic non-guided mechanisms. It is true that the little fake God as an oriental potentate has been discarded, but believers have discarded that god long before materialists resurrected him as their adversary. We can talk when you stop pretending I worship the kind of god we both would discard, and start looking at the evidence that shouts DESIGN unless you firmly hold on to the THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE blinders. I'm buying Flew's book, how about you?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 1:46:21 PM PST
compsciguy says:
Um...I would never hold on to a belief just because of other people. I can think for myself, thank you very much. I would not care if my peers ridiculed me; it's my life and I can make my own decisions. How dare them throw heat at Flew; he is allowed to change his mind anytime and anywhere and anyday! So there! I hate peer pressure! It's destroying our world.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 1:49:17 PM PST
compsciguy says:
Whatever STeven C. Lowe! You claim God will finally go away when we understand everything? LOL! That is a BOGUS claim, even for an atheist! WE will NEVER be able to understand the entire universe, because time travel is impossible! Maybe someday, time travel would become impossible, but I'm being as bogus as you when I make that claim! ROFL! You actually think the absolute prove of the disexistence of God will be revealed? HOW? By atheistic logic, it is IMPOSSIBLE to disprove a negative! Think about it!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 11, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
There Is a God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind
There Is a God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind by Antony Flew (Hardcover - October 23, 2007)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (189)