What song does the intro of The Best of Times quote?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 28, 2009 6:50:10 AM PDT
I'm almost sure that the acoustic guitar intro of "The Best of Times" is a direct quote from some song, possibly a theme song from some movie. Do any of you know what song or which movie? I suspect it might be a film involving someone dying of cancer. That would certainly fit. I checked the theme to "Brian's Song", about a Chicago Bears player dying of cancer, but that is not it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2009 5:24:39 PM PDT
It sounds a little like "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence". The song itself divided into 8 tracks off the album of the same name. (Disc 2) When I first heard the intro to "The Best of Times", that's what it reminded me of.

Go back and listen to (or just think about) the intro to "Overture", the ending solo of "Goodnight Kiss" & the intro of "Losing Time/Grand Finale". I don't know of any movie that features any of the direct quote or riffs.

Posted on Jun 29, 2009 6:18:50 AM PDT
I do see some similarity of tune and mood, but I'm thinking of some melody (maybe from a movie or maybe not) that would be identical to the melody in "The Best of Times".

Posted on Jun 29, 2009 9:50:15 AM PDT
A number of people on Portnoy's forums think it sounds like Elton John's Funeral for a Friend (a song we all know they've covered), but I gotta listen to it again to see.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2009 12:20:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2009 8:14:55 AM PDT
It's interesting that you and others have suggested an Elton John song, because that had occurred to me as well. However, I did not have a specific song in mind and had not yet tried to pursue that possibility. I did listen to Funeral for a Friend today and do see some similarity, but it's definitely not an exact match. I still feel that there is some melody out there that is a very close or exact match. Maybe we'll learn what from Portnoy at some point unless his use of the melody was subconscious or unintentional.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2009 10:13:46 PM PDT
Subauthor says:
The Best of Times" by Styx maybe? haha!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2009 8:03:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2009 8:15:31 AM PDT
I also thought about that since my google search found that song, but the melody doesn't match. Of course, you were joking. It is possible that the original song (if I haven't just imagined this) started with the lyrics "These were the best of times" which would match the rhythm of the DT melody.

Posted on Jul 15, 2009 10:07:28 PM PDT
T-mo says:
The electric guitar intro is "The spirit of radio" definitely. The intro of the song as well as the guitar solo later, I hear Japanese Enka. Just like the intro of "The ministry of lost souls". Like Marty Friedman, I think JP is into some Japanese songs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2009 9:04:54 PM PDT
Eric Garcia says:
I knew I wasn't the only person who heard this. I've been trying to figure this out. I think it's the theme from an old TV series, I just can't place it. I hear it in my head and it's one of those corny funky 70s style theme songs

...to be continued...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2011 4:47:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2011 4:48:40 PM PDT
Cityboy says:
Rush "The Spirit of Radio".

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 9:33:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2011 10:00:13 PM PDT
something off of "Falling into Infinity"? Hollow years?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Jun 28, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 25, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Black Clouds & Silver Linings-Special ed
Black Clouds & Silver Linings-Special ed by Dream Theater (Audio CD - 2009)
4.1 out of 5 stars (187)