Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

What age do you think is reasonable for kids to start playing this game?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 12, 2007 11:13:49 PM PDT
luddite says:
I have a 10 year old son who wants this game for his birthday as a friend introduced him to it. What is people's sense of the appropriate age for starting to play this game?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2007 3:34:04 AM PDT
Fix says:
There are a few things to consider about appropriate age in an online game. Not only do you have to consider the actual game software, but you also must realize that "World of Warcraft" is a very community oriented game. It is essential to communicate with other live players in order to play. Most players communicate using the built in chat system which is text only, but once they get into higher levels of the game they are usually required to use third party voice communication software to better coordinate with your team members. As with any online environment, a child could be exposed to profanity and sexual realated discussions. That would be my greatest concern with my child playing "World of Warcraft," but that would go for any online game. As for the actual game content I would think any age would be appropriate since most of the violence is in the form of magic spells or mid-evil type weapons. It is more of a fantasy type violence than the hard-core violence of "Grand Theft Auto." Also, since I haven't mentioned anything about it yet I should... The game is extremely addicting. It is largely known that any "massive multiplayer online role playing game" (MMORPG) can be a considerable time sink. Limiting play time should also be a concern. Hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2007 6:52:59 AM PDT
carnage says:
the little tyke should feel right at home rolling alliance...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2007 5:12:19 AM PDT
In my opinion, "children" should not be playing MMO's at all, but this is purely an opinion from someone who plays the game. I started my MMO gaming at around 15-16, and I'd have to say that is a more reasonable age as they have more of an idea of how to *play* a game in general, and of how to communicate with others in an educated fashion. Your child may get a lot of crap from other players if they can tell his age, especially in WoW.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2007 12:57:26 PM PDT
Apu says:
luddite, don't listen to these rednecks. all they do is voice opinion of hate to the other faction instead of help you. A 10 year old would love the animation, storyline, and quests in WoW, but he better be pretty smart because these games controls are a mouthful, especially for 13 and under kids. Overall, I say get him the ten day trial, and then ask him if he still wants it. that would be the smart thing to do

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2007 4:48:47 PM PDT
George says:
Hmm, I fail to see how you got anything said here as "redneck". It seems you are just name calling to support a point with little evidence.

I agree with the exposure to profanity and sexual conversation should be something you should consider. Also, consider how much you are going to let him play it. Playing the game 24/7 is not healthy for a child that age whatsoever.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2007 4:49:01 PM PDT
George says:
Hmm, I fail to see how you got anything said here as "redneck". It seems you are just name calling to support a point with little evidence.

I agree with the exposure to profanity and sexual conversation should be something you should consider. Also, consider how much you are going to let him play it. Playing the game 24/7 is not healthy for a child that age whatsoever.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 7:46:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2007 7:50:00 AM PST
My suggestion, having played video games for many years...make him wait until high school. by then, he'll be of reasonable age to make a mature decision. You can't expect a kid that just got done watching "the wiggles" to make the best of decisions. he'll have plenty of time to play video games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 8:01:44 AM PST
Janet says:
WoW has a lot of features for parental control - including time allowed and profanity feature. Nothing beats playing the game with your child. I probably wouldn't let my kid on the net unsupervised, period. Ultimately it depends on the child.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2007 1:56:31 PM PST
dashdash says:
i think letting him play WoW is along the same lines as letting him have a myspace account.
you will have to know a good deal about it to monitor it. talk to his friend's parent and see how they handle it. maybe the parents play and keep their kid in their guild where they can keep tabs on the youngster.
WoW does have parental controls, but let's be honest, a kid can still get in trouble. a lot of guilds have a no-kids policy, b/c of possibility of adult conversations and such.
i would try to talk him into playing something else. there are plenty of options these days!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 1:58:02 PM PST
A three-year-old could play the game, and might really enjoy the cartoony feel. Just don't use it as a babysitter and monitor the communications of the other players. The common chat channels can be shut down, and there is an easily circumvented obscenity filter, but if someone sends a direct chat to your son, there's pretty much no restriction on what could be said.

The violence isn't too graphic for a child that age in my opinion. He's old enough to read the directions of the quests, so it shouldn't be too frustrating. The only concern I would have about it is the other players.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 4:56:34 PM PST
The rating is T - which is probably too low to begin with. Think about it this way... What if your son asked to go hang out with a bunch of adults every evening and play games? And, what if many of them were drinking, swearing, and talking about raunchy things while they play?

There are many other options available that are less risky.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2007 5:19:23 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Aug 21, 2008 2:07:30 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2007 12:46:45 PM PST
Enclave F3 says:
That video made me laugh at you. I am a casual player and not addicted. I stop playing years at a time. My highest level is 20 and no guilds. By the way I'm 15 and the kid in the video is not 10. By the way you are ageist.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 7:54:13 PM PST
I am a mother of three and my husband and i each have an account, each of our three children have 1 character in each of our accounts so we can play with them to moniter them, they are 9,13, and 15. We enjoy playing with them and both computers are next to eachother to make it wasier to help when needed.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2008 10:03:32 AM PST
My ten year old son plays. We monitor his use, as the computer is in the family room. He has friends who play, and they all meet up online and play. He belongs to a guild that is definitely "rated G". They even get together online to watch tween friendly movies, occasionally. I wouldn't recommend this game for kids unless you are going to be looking over his shoulder quite frequently, and/or playing with or watching him play the game. You need to know who he hangs out with in the game. Otherwise, this game is absolutely amazing! If I had the time, I would play myself, and i NEVER play computer games....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2008 1:43:47 PM PDT
G. Hoffmann says:
Could someone recommend a game that is similar but is not online?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008 6:41:36 AM PDT
George Platt says:
I dont reccomend WoW. Im 14 going on 15 and I just dont like it. From the fees to the gameplay. Your son, no offense, doesn't need Online games at his age. Give him war games, sure, that might be a little too much, but he is 10. In todays world, a kid knows ALOT MORE THAN YOU THINK at 10. Trust me. War games dont hurt anyone, it helps him understand history. Just dont get him Halo or some stupid futuristic crap game. Get him Medal of honor. Sure, its rated M for Mature because it says "Damn it, get over here!" but im sure your child has heard it before. Medal of honor, you can turn off the blood too. Todays game raters are so full of crap you wouldnt beleive it. Give him "T-rated" Games. They aren't bad at all. I played T games since I was 7. Tomb raider was my first. War games can also help your child think more strategicly. When he grows up, he might be a paintball pro. Who knows? I hope this helped you Luddite. Have a good one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2008 7:17:02 PM PDT
K. Leo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 31, 2009 1:51:35 PM PDT
S. Tarzwell says:
I'll take this a different direction. If you are old enough to have a CC and can buy your own account then play. I personally don't like running into a kid with childish behavior. This is a social game where you do interact with other real people. It's un-nerving to have someone have a whiny fit on you because you won't join their guild, or don't understand that if you can't stay up till 3am on Tuesday night because you have work. Its I do understand the families that play and that's a bit different. I equate this to either shopping with your teenage kids or just dropping them off at the mall for society to babysit. The ones with their parents never bother me, they are on better behavior and the parents know what they are up to.

Posted on Apr 7, 2009 11:47:33 AM PDT
T. Jordan says:
Again, I fully agree with Tarzwell.

There is nothing worse than grouping with an 11 yo that thinks they know what they are doing & just messing up game play for the rest of us. If your 11 yo wants to play, be sure to watch him closely and/or play with him. If not, please don't have him make a character on my server or in my battlegroup.

Posted on Apr 13, 2009 10:16:23 AM PDT
My 9 year old step-daughter LOVES to watch my husband and i play after the 15 month old is in bed for the night... But she does not get to play. We bought her the game FATE. It looks like baby-WOW. Much more kid-oriented, and not MMO. In a few years, maybe we will let her create a char on one of our accounts, and set up parental controls, etc. The only way that will happen though is if she becomes MUCH more mature in the next few years. IMO, with kids who are not mature enough to be around that many people in person and control themselves, behave themselves, and not act like idiots should be given those priveledges. But, to each his own... There are other kid-friendly computer games along the same lines, and otherstypes, like Neopets.com, virtual world type online games that are geared for children if you want to check into those.

Posted on May 13, 2009 9:49:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2009 9:54:37 AM PDT
D197 says:
I'd say unequivocally that WoW isn't very good for kids. My advice if you really want to start an MMO is wait until you're done with your formal education and have a full-time job. Then limit yourself to a couple hours a night, and a few nights a week. I work in education and have seen first-hand the effects of this game...and it's not pretty.

Posted on Jun 15, 2009 5:19:32 AM PDT
mblough says:
I let me 8 year old play. This is of course completely monitored. Common use channels are shut off & he does not have free access to the password. He in only allowed to play when there isnt school the next day (read friday & saturday). Given my current situation where I am away from my family for en extended period of time it is also a great outlet that allows us to 'play' together in a sense. He knows how to join the BG's and has even been dps in a few pugs. He knows how to tell what is an upgrade to him and not roll on random crap. He wont just 'need' roll on everything and he knows that if there is a gear item he isnt sure on just to pass. There is very seldom times he would group with people without me. If he plays without me he will just quest & explore. So I dont see an issue with a younger kid playing the game as long as he/she is monitored and or played along side of. I wouldnt recommend it for solo young children though, the game could be a little too complicated and yes could disrupt other players.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2009 1:44:31 PM PDT
M. Wright says:
You could get him a game from the Oblivion series. That is very similar in gameplay but is not an online RPG. I play WoW and I do not think it is a "bad" game in general but the conversations that some people in my guild have are certainly not G-rated. I did not start playing the game until I was in college though. If you turn on the parental chat control, there should be nothing to worry about. He may not understand some of the sexual references if people use them anyway. I say you should get it for him as long as you don't let him play too much each day. PLEASE make sure he doesn't sit in front of the computer all day because it will make him lazy and ruin his eye sight. Good luck with the decision. He would probably love the game.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Aug 12, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 13, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
World of Warcraft - Mac / Windows XP / Mac OS X
World of Warcraft - Mac / Windows XP / Mac OS X by Blizzard Entertainment (Mac, Mac OS X, Windows, Windows XP)
4.0 out of 5 stars (897)