Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 26, 2012 2:20:38 PM PDT
Doug Waltz says:
Better start saving now, kids because i am. Sept 25th is shaping to be "blu ray Xmas" and i don't know why. I understand the fall "pre-Holiday" season is when all the summer blockbusters start trickling in (which explains "The Avengers" being released) but other than the Avengers blu ray, we have the blu ray James Bond set, the blu ray Hitchcock set, Criterion releases (The Game, etc) so again, i'm not complaining, but i wonder what inspired so many studios to target this date. Any theories?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 5:09:45 AM PDT
Patrick says:
My guess is it's a week before Q4 begins?

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 10:27:41 PM PDT
Amazon User says:
It's a pretty good date for movie releases. The new TV season just premiering, which is good becuase now you can buy television advertising that actually gets mass viewers. (Summer ad campaigns do significantly worse.) People are around and into their life routines, as opposed to the disruption of summer that weakens sales. You're not competing with Sweeps or the Olympics at this point.

You're streeting early enough that you'll be in stores with a nice collectible gift set during the entire shopping season. Also, you'll be more willing to participate in deeply discounted Black Friday deals, knowing that you have captured all of the early higher priced sales. If Black Friday came too soon you would be reluctant to particiapte in it, because you haven't made the bulk of your profit before you destroy your value perception.

Historically this date has been quite effective. HIgher retail visits due to back to school and fall shopping.

Sometimes studios pick dates because they know other films have been successful on that date. THere's not often solid analysis to back why it happened, but it carries some measure of weight in decision making.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Jun 26, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Limited Edition) [Blu-ray] (2012)
Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Limited Edition) [Blu-ray] (2012) by Alfred Hitchcock (Blu-ray - 2012)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (157)